Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Other Chatter > The Eddy

Closed Thread
Old 06-20-2006   #81
He called himself "the gatekeeper" - whatever you do don't tell him your "the keymaster" - that's when shit will get weird.

Old 06-20-2006   #82
Originally Posted by RMQ
Hippies generally have a cause and are somewhat productive members of society.
You don't really know many hippies, do you?

Old 06-20-2006   #83
pnw, Washington
KT, lmao, damn funny.....
Old 06-20-2006   #84
I dunno. Look like hippies to me.

Quoth the paper:
Rainbow Family elders, Blackfoot, also known as the medicine man, left, and Christopher tend to their fire pit as requested by law enforcement officers. Both have been attending the Rainbow Family gatherings for a combined 49 years and know the routine for camping in national forest lands.
Old 06-20-2006   #85
Momma wants you to know more. From the Steamboat Pilot:

Concerns in the forest
Officers issue citations to Rainbow Family; fire a threat

By Dave Shively, Sports writer

Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Gigi, the self-appointed Rainbow Family of Living Light gatekeeper, could do nothing Monday to stop the convoy of U.S. Forest Service law enforcement sport utility vehicles from rolling down Forest Service Road 505 to enter the Rainbow gathering's main camping area.

"They have been coming up all day since yesterday, in and out, with mounted officers too," Gigi said before the 6 p.m. patrol that immediately shut down the road into the gathering.

Routt National Forest supervising forester Kent Foster said a squad of 30 law enforcement officials was brought in from across the country to prevent resource damage and enforce rules and regulations.

"Our biggest concern is fires," Foster said. "I checked things out the other day; they have their own internal fire watch to check untended fires, but I don't know how effective that is."

Michelle Sarubbi, a Forest Service law enforcement officer brought in from California, explained the stakes at the forest service road block.

"This is dead serious. I've done way too many evacuations, and what worries me is that there's only one way in and one way out," Sarubbi said. "There's no other means for fire and rescue. If there's a heart attack or stroke, your golden hour is gone."

Sarubbi said law enforcement teams moved methodically around campsites in the morning to gauge fire pits' proximity to dead trees, whether there was water and shovels nearby and to ensure that campers were aware fires needed to be monitored continuously and completely extinguished.

"If there's no fires or problems, then it's worth every word and every second spent," Sarubbi said.

The timing of enforcement teams' fire checks coincided with a National Weather Service Hazardous Weather Outlook Red Flag Warning issued Monday for eastern Utah and western Colorado. According to the service report, the combination of high temperatures, 30- to 40-mph wind gusts and low humidity created "critical fire weather conditions."

Much of the Routt National Forest also is filled with the dry fuel of dead trees affected by the pine beetle epidemic.

"There's an area stand that's 60 to 70 percent dead just east of where they are, some folks are already camped there," Foster said.

Inside the gathering, Rainbow campers at the centrally located supply site near the main water source were not concerned. Christopher and Blackfoot, a holistic medicine man, were tending a fire they used to boil stream water for portable use into "anything with a lid."

"We've got a shovel and a rake. I was here all last night watching (the fire). The weather's not going to be bad," said Blackfoot, who has attended and treated patients at Rainbow gatherings for 29 years.

"The law enforcement officers have been kind," Christopher said. "This gathering's for everyone, even them. We all have to behave to get along."

The cordial feelings may not last. Starting with Gigi, officers moved into the gathering area Monday evening, issuing illegal-gathering citations that require a mandatory summons before a federal magistrate. The officers also applied notices to vehicles informing participants they are in violation of federal regulations.

The Rainbow Family traditionally has resisted signing the Forest Service's free special-use permit for groups of 75 members or more.

"They see the permit as a way for us to control them," Sarubbi said. "The control is to protect the resources and to help them have a better experience and a better forest when they leave."

The Forest Service estimates there are from 200 to 500 people at the gathering, with a constant flow of participants driving and hitch-hiking up to the forest roads north of Hahn's Peak Village.
Old 06-20-2006   #86
I met up with the Rainbow Family when they were setting up for the Gathering in Paonia about 12 years ago. Maybe it helped that I was there working for a hippie surveyor, but I have to say I came away with a positive impression of them. They were positive and articulate, even without all their teeth (that image sticks with me).

The small group that was setting up the entire area (creating trails, etc.) for the onslaught of hippies and were going to be staying there following the gathering until the entire area was returned to its initial state (e.g. reseeded). The woman in charge, was very excited about one young man who was showing great initiative in helping with preparations. On the opposite side, some guy who was there was none too happy and hitched a ride back to GJ with us - I was left with the impressionm, an hour car-ride later, that he was there to free-load off the Rainbow Family.

Though from the newspaper accounts, all hell broke loose during the actual Gathering....
Old 06-20-2006   #87
Summit, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to COUNT
So, who ya gonna call?

It's all good as long as they really like marshmallows .
"The world would be a better place if everyone kayaked."-Brad Ludden (Valhalla)
"You only get one chance to run a drop blind."-DD
Old 06-20-2006   #88
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
So "Deputizer" and all the other folks that want to go up and show the hippies a thing or two, here are some questions for you:

What's really your motive here in all the alarm? Is it just to vent your hatred of hippies? Is it because you're sincerely concerned about the forest environment and you're worried that the damage caused will be worse than a clearcut or a few oil & gas wells? Is it because you're afraid they'll cut off 4-wheeling access to part of the national forest while they spend a couple of weeks running around naked in the woods? Were you already planning to go up there or do you just want to go make trouble and hippies are an easy target?

If you could do anything about the Rainbow Gathering, what would it be and why? What's the lesson you want to teach them? Would you like to put them into re-education camps where they'll be taught the value of hard work and conforming to the prevailing societal norms?

Its been awhile since I dealt with any of them them but something I know about the Rainbow folks is that one of the core tenants the organizers and many of the folks that'll be there profess is non-violence. Would kicking some pacifist's ass accomplish something the world needs?

"Deputizer" got all bent out of shape when someone asked him if we shouldn't be more worried about "Mexicans, Niggers & Faggots" and implied that anyone who's a bigot should be "removed from the gene pool." Well, I got news for you, as much as you want to deny it, the hippies are human beings too and have the same rights as the rest of us do, including the right to peacably assemble on public property. Why don't you go back and re-read this thread and insert a word like "******, Faggot, Jew, Spic, Wop" everywhere it says "hippie?" You'll quickly see the same kind of language used to dehumanize a group of people that's been used by bigots the world over fpr years. It sounds waaay too much like the crap I had to listen to when I was growing up in Alabama and that I thought I'd gotten away from....

While I've no desire to be part of the Rainbow Gathering at this time in my life, I did attend one many years ago. It was pretty much like Carvedog said- lots of folks running around naked in the woods, lots of sharing and positive attitudes, lots of concern for the environment, and they even had hot showers where people were lined up from sunup til dark. The rules were pretty simple - don't hurt anyone, no drugs made in labs (except for vitamin A) or pharmaceuticals, no alcohol, bartering was encouraged but no cash sales, and take care not to damage the environment unnecessarily. They cleaned up the place after it was over, limed and filled in the latrines, abandoned and seeded the trails and hauled off tons of trash. All with volunteer labor.

So if the idea of hippies running naked in the woods bothers you so much, why don't you just leave them alone and go somewhere else - like the way I steer clear of Moab during Jeep Week?

If any of my fellow Buzzers really plan on going up there, I hope you'll take an open mind and positive attitude with you.

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Old 06-20-2006   #89

That was very pasionate. I too yearn for the equality of all peoples, especially hippies, or hippys. . . like back before Nam,
or hip-a-no-Like-washa, as the Native Americans called them.

Andy does someone in your 'sphere of influence' (industry term) read Tarot cards because that was some pretty defensive shit, nothing personal.

Are you a hippy Adam, it's o.k. I have cable T.v. and I've seen the show 'Intervention' so I'm pretty much a pro. We can break you of your habbit, no matter how painfull that prcoess might be.

Come back from the Dark Side Adam, use the force. Luke was not your FATHER
hey diddle diddle...
Old 06-20-2006   #90
Fruita, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
End thread

Hi kids

It's been great to read about my my most favorite (kayaking) and least favorite (hippies, people in general) topics at once and for six pages. Yeah, yeah, me, too, once upon I time I went to a rainbow gathering, saw a buncha hippie trust funders trying out different lifestyles with great pretentiousness and solenmity. No nude women at all, damnit, at the one I went to. I will say that as much as the goddamn pretentious little dreadlocked stinkin' dweebs irritated me, they were at least as careful with the land as most kayakers I've been with (really, now, have you checked the trash level at most put-ins and take-outs? And even if, of course, no kayakers coulda put it there, well, could we not sort of pick it up while we awaited shuttle?).

Now don't get me wrong here. Few people despise hippies more than I. Only thing worse than a god damn smelly delusional sniveling hippy is a pious judgemental yuppie, and usually for the same reason: Hypercritical but delusional belief system about how good they, personally, are for the world. We're all ectoparasites on the planet earth and almost anything we do is to the detriment of the ecosytem. I call upon you all, each and every one, kayakers and hippies, to do the right thing for the planet: Kill yourself. Or just shut up and boat. Jesus. That's my post for 2006.

Closed Thread