Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Other Chatter > The Eddy

Closed Thread
Old 06-16-2006   #71
Indian Hills, Colorado
I assume whole surfer was being sarcastic. As in, if you're so worried about hippies, then surely you'd be even more concerned with other so-called fringe-elements. Shit. I'm suprised the 'buzz didn't get worked up about all the mexican marches this spring, "think of they may do to the water quality at confluence!"

On a related note, Ikayaknboard's colorful naritive was Rolling Stone quality. Fear and Loathing, eh?

It's my understanding, based soley on hearsay, that these Rainbow Fesitvals range from positive to scary and treatening, depending on which crowd you hang with. 20k people and you're guarenteed to have some bad apples, good folks and smelly naked hippies. I also understand that a concerted cleanup effort is undertaken following the festivities. Unfortunatley, alpine Colorado is an unusually fragile environment and the scars left by the goings on will probably last for decades.

Sounds like a hoot, I'll be checking it out...and be outa there by nightfall upon based on the aformentioned narative.

Old 06-17-2006   #72
Dipshit with the most.
Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Reading through the hippie posts

Disclaimer: I do not know the area in question for this years gathering, just relating my experiences from previous events. Some of the details related below are based on my limited contact with "Hippies" and the Rainbow Family. Since I have located myself from any major urban areas, I do not have to deal with the more urbanized versions of these creatures that may reside in the Rocky Mountain High state.
FYI: I proudly display my NRA sticker right next to my Dancing Bears sticker on the back of my van. The rest of this ramble makes no more sense than that.

I went to one of these things years back down in the Jarbidge ( Northern Nevada) drainage and I had a good time. I was pretty young at the time but there are some images of dancing naked women that I will never get out of my mind. ( Or want to ), either I didn't notice or they were clothed, but no images of dancing naked dudes were captured or uploaded to the organic hard drive.

Besides that, I got smoked out as many times a day as I wanted, got dosed with some excellent vitamin A a couple of times - once I traded an orange the other for free. Alcohol was definitely frowned upon, but since not many people handle it as well as I do, I can understand that.

No skinheads (this was '88 or '89 maybe they had not been invented), but I do remember a cymbal playing Tibetan looking dude who quieted down over a 1,000 people before a dinner one night with his dual harmonizing, cymbals.

I volunteered at one of the kitchens one night and hand wash was set up and mandatory for everyone entering the area.

The poop trenches were far from water sources, creeks etc and had simple directions on cardboard, describing how to layer in dirt to reduce smell - improve composting.

As far as those f**kers in the government and there response to it. I too heard some astronomical numbers about how much this thing cost to "police" and think they are full of shit. I saw two Forest Service cops the whole time and they were up on the canyon rim driving around in new 4WDrives peering down at the encampment with binoculars, and oh yeah the 5 or 6 overflights by a helicopter every day for some reason. Maybe just to piss the "hippies" off. And for this they claimed it cost 500K in "enforcement".

Other than one very pissed off and cantankerous dude who could not get his horse and wagon to cross a small stream, I saw no altercations off any kind. Heard of three deaths and two births, so the anti-Rainbow coalition came out with a net gain of one. I did hear of an orgy tent but as hard as I looked I could not find one. This was before the era of the fear of unprotected sex, and while not proud I was not afraid and the girsl I saw were hot. Mostly. Except for a couple of older members of the tribe being partially clothed, who reminded me of my Grandma the time she got sprayed by the skunk and stripped on a dead run on her way to the house - and this was at 80 years old. There are some things that a person is just not supposed to see.

Long term damage: Several years ago the tribe descended on the upper stretch of Bear Valley (one of the two major tribs to the MF Salmon). Since this is holy ground to me I was none too pleased with this location and did not attend. Besides I have my wife to dance naked for me now and did not need to see any more liberal arts major college girls on summer break dancing under the moon and stars, tossing their firm little titties around under the moon by the glow of a campfire.
The evidence of the encampment was reduced to a couple of wheel tracks at one of the major parking areas with no other signs that I could see. I do know that 40-80 people stayed for almost a month, filling in toilets, dismantling water transport lines from the springs and other assorted things that one might have to do to rehab an area after camping there with 10K people.

There were also no leaders, no enforcers, no pits of fire that I saw.

In general I had a good experience, but I have not found the need to camp out with that many people again. In fact sometimes even 20 people on a river trip seems like about 8 too many.

BTW Remoteproductions, that is one of the sickest shuttle rigs ever.

Old 06-17-2006   #73
This subject proves one thing....all you so called river boaters are just redneck stupid fucks... and shows why I will always continue to run your dumd ass's over in my raft....
Old 06-17-2006   #74
The real hippies were student idealists who fought for and to some degree achieved progressive social change,theses folks seem more like anarchist dirtbag freeloaders.
Wholesurfer I guess yiou were kidding but,that was in extremely poor taste.
IHateBoulder you have to be the biggest jerk and hypocrit on this forum and perhaps the face of the earth.What right does a marine recruiting scumbag have to moralize to anyone,did you ever have the balls to fessup if you were a recruiter,I think you dodged the question,typical republican!If you make your living lying to kids to get them to go kill innocent people and get thier heads blown off for Halliburton you're as big a POS AS THERE IS.
How come noone gets as upset about other mass assemblages of whitetrash like NASCAR and Sturgis?They sure as hell ar'nt environmental and generate a lot of problems,I guess the difference is they spend a lot of money at the venues.
Old 06-18-2006   #75
Well after reading this post and searching on the internet about this gathering I am very interested.

For the most part I hate "Hippies". Dont get me wrong. I am labeling hippies as the people in college that I meet that are freeloading slugs on society. So maybe I hate something else but Hippie is all I have to describe them.

I have decided that since I live so close to an event like this I am going to attend for a night see what it is all about. Heck maybe I can use this opportunity to make a difference. I am going to try and get on my soap box for an audience, and see if I can turn these freeloaders into real hippies.

After all, there is finally a cause to unite over. With the state of this country and the leadership we have in all areas of government, maybe it is time to gather and unite to bring about some change.

"Liberty has never come from government. Liberty has always come from the subjects of government. The history of liberty is the history of resistance."
- Woodrow Wilson

Also if you read the decleration of independance is states that it is the duty of all citizens to rebel against the government if the government is not working in the best interest of it's citizens.

So I am going up there as a redneck with an agenda but maybe I will come back as a hippie.
Old 06-20-2006   #76
Seems to me we need to hook up irate willow creek landowner with rainbow family! Any ideas?????

Old 06-20-2006   #77
Thought-criminal, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I think I'm going to go. I can't wait to meet Jessie Jackson.
I hope in the future Americans are thought of as a warlike, vicious people, because I bet a lot of high schools would pick "Americans" as their mascot. -Jack Handy
Old 06-20-2006   #78
Is it just me or is everyone in Steamboat starting to look like a Rainbow Warrior??
Old 06-20-2006   #79
These people are not hippies! We're doing a dis-service to hippies by calling them this. Hippies generally have a cause and are somewhat productive members of society. These Rainblow Warriors are absolutely the most unproductive members of society. Think of all the good they could do if they actually got together for A CAUSE like trail building/maintanance or roadside cleanup. What an impact they could have if they cared. I wonder who is watering all their gardens while they're gone??? One with the earth my ASS.
Old 06-20-2006   #80
River Enforcer
There was a picture in the Steamboat today showing some rainbow dude holding a rope across one of the roads and said that he was in charge of people coming in and out. I can tell you this right now, if some hippie tries to tell me I can't drive on my home turf he is getting a wheel to his dreadlocked head.

Closed Thread