Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Other Chatter > The Eddy

Closed Thread
Old 06-16-2006   #61
Somewhere on, Earth
Yeah, this is a tough situation. I have met my fair share of Rainbow family members over the years and the lifers truely believe in the in the values behind how it all started. I think that over the years the the type of people attending changed to more psuedo hippies who are just their for the good times (ie drugs and partying).

Regardless of the group of people (Rainbow family or the NRA), if 20,000 are going to converge anywhere, I suspect it takes approval from the local government. I think any group that is going to have an event this large should put up a bond (say $50,000) to ensure the environment is restored to the state it was in before the event.
we have a strong orientation to take care of the the Earth
If they are good people and sure they will not impact things adversly then putting a little cash up should not be a problem as they are sure they will get it back...

I hope the municipal services are prepaired and that it is a model event that proves people can gather in large numbers without impacting the enviroment. If they can pull it off, great. If not, you can rest assured that they will not be allowed back to Colorado park for a long time.

There are some interesting posts about this going on here:

Old 06-16-2006   #62
Technology Partner, Littleton, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to mvhyde
This is a really funny post

Hippies are like cockroaches, they should be squished by bootheels, then doused with gasoline and set afire. It's the only way to ensure they don't reproduce too often. But seriously, shouldn't we put them on some type of reservation? I was wondering why Durango seemed devoid of them lately, they're all up North bugging my friends in Clark.

I too have ran into them over the years and I can say they definitely are a breed apart. Never have I met a bunch of freakoids like these cats. They mooch, litter, and smell like the walking human feces they appear to be. In talking to them, they do seem to come from very good backgrounds and families. Why someone would walk away from a decent life to live like they do is beyond me, but perhaps they're more enlightened than any of of us (NOT).

I suspect they cannot handle the routines of normal life (work, money, school, etc.) which makes me question their principles and ethics. They're either mentally ill or just the ultimate slackers. I can forgive either if they could but just admit what they are. But...they have to hide it behind this whole-earth, quasi-Native American thing of which they are not native Americans (at least the majority are not). Smelling bad does not qualify one as being "earth friendly". Mooching does not bring one closer to the Earth, unless you count being forced to sleep on it every night because you cannot afford a place to live.

The creepy thing is to look back at the previous editions of the so-called hippie families, like the Manson Family, and we all know what Charlie and his girls ended up getting into.

I would suspect the whole description about pits and burning people or whatever may be a bit over the edge and the stuff or lore, but for every myth, there is always a grain of truth. The disturbing thing I find is the Swastika tattoos. No one in their right mind wears one unless they have or have had ties to other unsavory elements in society. But I guess it could be a perfect hideout for the Neo-Nazi types. Hitler's new youth hanging with hippies while Johnny law looks elsewhere for them.

But look at it this way, at least they breed unto themselves, so they're kind of removing themselves from our genetic superiority.

Old 06-16-2006   #63
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Neo Nazi's and Hippies hanging together...This must be where the far political right and the far political left meet. I used to think the political spectrum was linear, but I guess it is a circle!
Old 06-16-2006   #64
Vail, Colorado
Okay, enough of this hippie deal. The people out there roaming the woods are not hippies in the true sence. That would be a put down to the true hippies from the sixties. We need a new word for those freaks in the woods. They are more of a granola than a hippie. Or from the sounds of those "leaders" we can call the Swastika Hippies. I also attended a "gathering" in Homer Alaska. Okay, I didn't attend shit. I went there with my girlfriend and a few other people. All I saw were a bunch of red neck hippie wannabees drinking "the beast" and using their empties as target practice. Other people were laying on the ground looking at the sky smelling like shit and trippin' balls. Not my idea of a good time.

"Who the shit is Kingsley Zissou?"- Klaus Daimler (The life aquatic).
Old 06-16-2006   #65
Re: Link to the bus aka Ol School

Originally Posted by Remoteproductions
Copy and paste this link to see a pic of the bus:

15 miles/gal on the highway driving it around 60mph
10 city
Dude, you drive the short bus!
Old 06-16-2006   #66
Thought-criminal, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
beat me to the punch sandbagger..."insert rimshot sound effect here"

someone has already pointed out that an 8 year old resident of Fairplay has already solved your problem. a little research may reveal the scematics of the hippie drill. if I recall correctly, though, there may be a problem with overheating. good luck.
I hope in the future Americans are thought of as a warlike, vicious people, because I bet a lot of high schools would pick "Americans" as their mascot. -Jack Handy
Old 06-16-2006   #67
You boys see this? It was in today's Summit Daily News up in Frisco, CO.

STEAMBOAT SPRINGS — Routt County is bracing for 20,000 to 60,000 members of the “Rainbow Family” to converge on a site on national forest land for the group’s weeklong annual gathering in July.

An advance party of about 150 people visited the area this weekend to look for a suitable site for the event, often described as a huge gathering of hippies. One of the advance party, who identified himself as Bodhi, said the group is looking at five potential locations.

“We need a fresh water source, one main meadow that is 100 acres or larger and about five to 10 square miles of hippie land,” he told the Steamboat Pilot and Today newspaper.

“And we will need another large meadow to accommodate thousands of vehicles,” he said.

Bodhi predicted 60,000 people would attend. Mike Zopf, director of the county health department, said the number would likely be closer to 20,000.

Routt County Sheriff John Warner said he has met with the advance group. He said he plans to assemble a law-enforcement team for the event that includes Steamboat Springs police and firefighters, the State Patrol, Routt National Forest rangers and others.
Old 06-16-2006   #68

It's ok , b/c I wear a helmet..... Who's got his ambulance to duel with?
Old 06-16-2006   #69
Originally Posted by wholesurfer
Shouldn't we be worrying about the Mexicans, Niggers & Faggots the most?
WTF??? Wholesurfer, do you care to explain this? The reason I ask is that people have a right to know if somebody is a bigot considering that they're putting their lives and potentially alot of money into that person's hands.

You better not hide on this one or you may find yourself up the creek.
Old 06-16-2006   #70
Technology Partner, Littleton, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to mvhyde
whoa nelly....

that is messed up....just plain messed up

Closed Thread