Old 07-23-2014   #1
Unincorporated Douglas County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Portland,OR Breweries?

My wife and I are heading to Portland for Labor Day Weekend. This will be a brewery and 'see the sites' trip. Never been there.
Any must hit breweries?
How about a recommended hotel with, hopefully, walking distance from said breweries?
Planning a day or overnight trip to the coast. Maybe hit up Pelican Pub.
Any local knowledge would be great.

Karma is like this: If we set causes in motion the effects come back to us.
rwhyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014   #2
Fort Collins, Colorado
Not sure what type of hotel you are interested in but the Ace Hotel right downtown is really cool. Yes it is a bit hipster style but the rooms are nice, its in a great location to check out the city on foot and I believe it is a decent price. There are other hotels in the downtown area so you really have plenty of options.

As for breweries I can not help much on that. The one I do know and that I really like is the McMenamens out in Edgefield. You will have to drive but it is really cool. They haver a pub course you can play(even if you are not into golf it is fun) and you can get beer along the way.

For food there are a lot of great options but a couple key ones I love are, Dove Vivi, Nickolas's and Pambiche. Look them up and check them out.

T1112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014   #3
Old Guy in a PFD
Tucson, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1967
If you want to sit in your own private hot tub and gaze at the ocean, the Overleaf Hotel in Yachats, Oregon is the place. Bit spendy, but well worth it, especially if you luck into a storm.

Restless waters or sunset suite. Promise. You will remember the experience.
Schutzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014   #4
Medford, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1984
This might help wiith your decision it is a map of the breweries. Now if you prefer they have a brewvana tour you can take also. Breweries Map | Portland light rail is really great much better than fussing with parking and it goes directly to the airport. they also have Brewvana tour. Tour Calendar Ace Hotel will give you the Hipster Portlandia vibe and is right downtown, there are also so great B&Bs. 24 Portland, OR Inns, B&Bs, and Romantic Hotels If you are coming in by plane you might not want to rent a car until you head for the Coast. It is so easy to get around Portland without one, and parking can be a hassle and expensive you can take the light rail back to airport and rent a car. Cannon Beach is breathtaking not too far from Portland, Stephanie Inn is right by the beach. Stephanie Inn | Cannon Beach Oceanfront Hotel Another suggestion would be Cannon Beach Hotel it is a Boutique hotel. The finest B&B, Boutique Hotel in Cannon Beach - Cannon Beach Hotel, THE Best Since 1914 If you head to Cannon make sure you go to Ecola State Park nice hikes and some of the best views on the Oregon Coast.
rivers2run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014   #5
pnw, Washington
Yachats is awesome. See Thors well.
"Yesterday I was clever and tried to change the world. Today I am wise and try to change myself." -Rumi
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014   #6
Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
I left P-town years ago so not a lot of info and newer breweries but McMennemins is still one of my favorites and I always hit one up when I'm in the area...They like to restore old buildings and turn them into pubs and hotels.... There are a bunch in the area with Edgefield being one of the first... Check out this site: McMenamins - McMenamins Historic Hotels Home. Ruby is my favorite summer bear of all time!!!

If you end up checking out rivers and go up the Clackamas, stop in Fearless Brewing in Estacada. Ken was my dads neighbor and has sold recipes to a number of big "craft breweries". He quit his day job and started the brewery a dozen years or so ago. He's also a homebrew maestro so if that's your thing chat him up a while, he loves to talk beer. All his beers are good but his scottish ale is the bomb!
Yesterday's gone on down the river and you can't get it back. - Agustus McCrae
elkhaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014   #7
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Breweries everywhere downtown. There's a free app you can download that tells you where most of the breweries are in town and how far the walking route is to get there.

I always end up spending most of my brewery time at Rogue, just a couple blocks north of Powell's bookstore. Best bookstore I've ever been to. Right on Burnside. Check out the collectible room on the top floor.

While you're on Burnside, wander a few blocks west to the Crystal Ballroom. It's fantastic. A McMenamins joint.

Back to Rogue, it's pleasantly old Portland seedy, like back in the 90's. Check out the small batch whiskey stills on the upper balcony. And of course try the whiskey. My favorite right now.

If you're there during the week, check out the food trucks at Pioneer Square on Broadway and Yamhill, south of Burnside. Great place for a cheap breakfast and always my favorite eats while I'm there.

If you like gentrified trendy eats, check out the Pearl District, just northeast of Powell's bookstore. Lots of really cool stuff going on across the river, especially along Hawthorne. Be sure to walk across at least one of the bridges. Super cool. Lloyd District also coming into its own. If I recall, there's a big festival and market along the waterfront at Burnside every Saturday morning. If people warn you away from Burnside at night, ignore them. You might even wander under the Burnside bridge late night to get an idea of how Portland deals with their homeless. Exceptionally tolerant.

Public transportation is great. I always buy a pass at the airport first thing after landing. Enjoy. July and August are by far the best months for the city.
angrylion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014   #8
Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
There are toooons of breweries to visit in Portland. Too many to list. You may want to check out some of the companies offering brewery tours. They haul you around in a bus or a pedicab or a pedal powered bar (yes that is correct) so you can concetrate on the imbibing and not the driving. The brewcycle is pretty cool, I've seen it around town.
Tour Details | Brewvana
PDX Pedicab - Portlands Best Pedicab Tours
There are probably others, but these seem to be more reputable.

Some breweries I would recommend are: Breakside Brewing, Hopworks, Stormbreaker Brewing, Rogue Ales, Green Dragon, Migration, Coalition, Lompoc, Bridgeport, Laurelwood. The list can go on an on.

People always recomend McMenamins, but they are more like the Starbucks of beer, some of their taverns do have interesting atmosphere, but the beer will not wow you.
wabashabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014   #9
Medford, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1984
"People always recomend McMenamins, but they are more like the Starbucks of beer, some of their taverns do have interesting atmosphere, but the beer will not wow you."

Thank you! I was biting my tongue a bit on that one. I wonder how many McMenamins there are in Oregon? Lots
rivers2run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014   #10
Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
Mcmenn=Starbucks, yes like Tesla=John deer. They started it all. The original seedy beer joint joint....the blue moon, or something like that NE ptown = the blue print for them all...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Mountain Buzz mobile app

Yesterday's gone on down the river and you can't get it back. - Agustus McCrae
elkhaven is online now   Reply With Quote