Old 05-17-2016   #1
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Portable Oxygen Recommendations?

Someone dear to me is going to high altitude (12,000 - 14,000 ft) for a couple of weeks and asked me about portable oxygen recommendations.

Any suggestions on a good value oxygen setup that'll be allowed on an international flight?

Thanks in advance,

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016   #2
First I would check with the airline. In flight oxygen usually needs to be supplied by the airline and arranged through them. Its not hard, just need to make arrangements ahead of time. Transporting oxygen is usually problematic but it may depend on the airlines policy. The easiest way is to arrange oxygen to be available the new location. Most of the hotels in Cusco Peru will have access to oxygen for example. If going somewhere with fewer tourists then contacting your local medical oxygen supply company (ask your friends respiratory therapist to make a recommendation) will often arrange the availability of oxygen at the arrival site.
One of my kids was on oxygen for 2 years and it never hindered our travel. Just made it more interesting.
Just an FYI commercial air travel is equivalent to about 8000 feet unless you are on the Dreamliner.
Hope that this helps.
docd is offline   Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off