Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Other Chatter > The Eddy

Old 06-04-2010   #1
x, x
Paddling Since: x
please start talking about the oil spill...

sorry to do this, but the lack of thread on this subject concerns me. I don't know much when it comes to anything important and. I kind of veiw it as the end of the world. i need some smart people i trust, or at least have something in common with to talk about this so i can read along and learn about. We should be more than concerned.....

i dont know what to say.

bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010   #2
Front Range, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
i think a lot of us are probably sick of hearing about it via the news and idiot friends on facebook spewing (copy and pasting) crap they don't really understand. i'm getting pretty tired of people bashing bp as if they are super stoked that they are spewing billions of dollars into the ocean. like they had this all planned out and are just sitting back enjoying cigars, scotch, and the occasional super villain laugh.

anyway, not trying to jack you're thread bob. i just went off on a few people about it. i think I'm good now.

it is definitely a tragedy. i'm glad that something they tried to help slow down the spill is finally working. barely working, but working none the less.

nmalozzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010   #3
x, x
Paddling Since: x
^^^^ fair enough, in regards to the media coverage...
bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010   #4
pnw, Washington
I am sure BP would rather have it flow in their pockets instead of the gulf but the lead up to the meltdown doesnt look like BP was doing a good job of keeping things on the up and up. The whole thing is a damn shame.
"Yesterday I was clever and tried to change the world. Today I am wise and try to change myself." -Rumi
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010   #5
Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
I know that they have started drilling another well which would allow for some pressure relief but this won't happen until August which is a scary thought. The problem with this method is that the area of target is the size of a diner plate and the chances of hitting the spot that is miles below the water surface and miles below the subsurface is as likely as winning powerball. I took some petroleum geology classes in college but wish I knew more. I think it's a great topic and everyone should be very concerned. I love shrimps!
Pool and a pond... Pond be good for you.
Stiff N' Wett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010   #6
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
One thing to be aware of it that there are massive amounts of dispersed oil deep under the surface consisting of tiny, dispersed droplets. Microbes will feast on this oil and break it down in an oxidative process, however in doing so, they will consume vast amounts of oxygen which could have a very detrimental effect on the marine life below the surface. The oxidation of the oil will literally "suck the oxygen out of" the sea water and could have a serious effect on the fisheries of the Gulf.

This will be the unseen part of the spill's damage.

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010   #7
Cheyenne, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 2009
This is a HUGE CATASTROPHE that not only affects animals living in the gulf but ones living in the tundra as well. Every winter there are massive migrations of animals headed for the marshes and estuaries in the gulf coast region. These marshes are breeding grounds for fish and crustaceans which wild life feed on during the winter months. Now that oil has contaminated the marsh, breeding of these species there will suffer. In turn the food source for the annual migration will suffer. I think you can put two and two together. Were talking every thing from butterflies, humming birds, ducks and geese. With all the wet lands that have already been lost. The ones we have left are vital and precious to the vast species that use them. Because of us (Humans) another huge amount of marsh is being destroyed.

If you want to help. Ducks Unlimited is the absolute best non-profit organization out there. 89 cents of every dollar donated goes back into conserving and acquiring lands to be developed into vital wet lands. No other organization even comes close to putting that much money back into conservation. Many species benefit from the development of wetlands, frogs and fish to name a few. Put it this way, the whole food chain benefits.
LineDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010   #8
Denver, Colorado
Tony Baloney[ bologna]

This whole deal is monumentally fucked,long term damage to the environment and the economy.Perhaps the only good that can come of it is as a catalyst for change;fast track alternative energy development[instead of talking about it],reregulation [especially in the fossil fuels extraction industries],decrease demand by;conservation and improved efficiency,etc. dinners ready mo' lata'
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010   #9
Denver, Colorado
Some lessons to be learned from this fiasco and random thoughts;Stop putting the rat in charge of the cheese = regulators are supposed to be watchdogs and whistle blowers not lackeys from the industry being regulated.Make laws banning the appointment of people with connections to industries they are to oversee.; if we need to promote domestic production of fossil fuels how about natural gas for fleet vehicles[tax breaks if not mandates] for state ,federal; ,and municipal fleets,and incentives for private businesses.; more responsible development in the first place; the government needs scientists at the cutting edge of every field ,so they are not reliant on experts from within an industry for solutions; some advice for Tony ' Bologna' Hayward for where he is hopefully going " better watch your cornhole bud"; give the corporate death penalty to Halliburton already!!

mas mas tarde
Old 06-06-2010   #10
Denver, Colorado
oh yeah ,Who will be liable when our sludge damages other countries' coasts?Cuba will likely get it first,we'll probably just screw them since they are dirty commies and everything ,we've got the right[ right Yarmony/ Mr .C] then the Bahamas.Who pays them off ,US or BP? Just glad it didn't trash Belize ,Yucatan,and Central America,yet. Hate to be mean but ,it sort of serves the south right that their idiotic worldview is coming back to bite them in the ass ie.,drill baby drill,muscle cars/nascar ,environmental denial,no government,deregulate everything,etc...sorry ,somebody had to say it.

Gov could have responded faster,demanded a relief well[s] be started on day one instead of trusting BP....COULD HAVE JUST AS EASILY HAPPENED TO ANOTHER OIL MAJOR where have the other cos. with their expertise and resources,equipment and financial ,been?