Old 03-23-2010   #1
wannabe kayaker
Dayton, Ohio
Paddling Since: 2006
Outdoors baby names (boy)

My wife and I are expecting in August. We have a girl name picked out, but we are having troubles with a boy name. We want something strong and masculine, but not macho, weird, or goofy. We want something unique. We aren't limiting to a certain area, but we both love the outdoors (nursury theme is Forest Friends). I've thought about rivers, forests, legends from sports or history (Lewis & Clark, etc). We both have some Cherokee in us. We got engaged on an overlook of the New River Gorge. Red River Gorge, KY was where we went backpacking about the time the baby was conceived.

Any suggestions?

Boilerblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010   #2
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
IMO the family name is big determinant of what works / doesn't work. For example, my wife and I nixed "-er" first names because my last name ends in "-er". Care to share it?

El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010   #3
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Whatever names you consider, please, oh Dear Gawd please for your child's sake, subject the candidate names to the 5th grader test. Ask yourself - if my kid had the name: ____, what kind of taunting would she endure at the hands of other 5th graders on the playground or starting at a new school?

I remember when I was hanging with some folks in Boone, NC long ago, and one woman told the story about her sister and brother in law who had their daughter while living in a commune in Oregon. They'd been star struck and named the little girl "Harmony Dawn." After a few years they'd grown disillusioned with the life they were living and moved back down south to NC. The good ole boy uncles took to calling the poor little girl "Grits in the Morning."

All that said, if you get stumped, there's always the Sarah Palin Baby Name Generator

Good luck,

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010   #4
Mesa, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1993
When my first was born (before 'tickle me Elmo') I wanted to name my son Elmo Elrod L____. Then I was going to refer to him by his monogram: EEL. For some reason, his mother wouldn't let me....go figure. I ran the idea by him when he was a teenager and he liked the idea.

Good luck getting any viable possibilities out of this forum.
Whether U Think U Can, or Think U Can't; U R Right!
scooby450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010   #5
wannabe kayaker
Dayton, Ohio
Paddling Since: 2006
Last name is Swain

Certainly using the 5th grader test on every name, it's driving my wife nuts. Also looking at initials (almost ended up Andrew Stephen). We don't want anything too bizarre, but we want something unique. That's the challenge.

I figure that I'm going to get plenty of funny suggestions (keeps the afternoon entertaining), but hoped someone might have something cool. One of my friends who had a baby girl named her "Meadow" after his favorite river in West Virginia. I thought that was really cool.
Boilerblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010   #6
Originally Posted by Boilerblues View Post
One of my friends who had a baby girl named her "Meadow" after his favorite river in West Virginia. I thought that was really cool.
i think that guy shoulda done the 12th grader test
I'll boat til the rivers run dry
CoBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010   #7
Sharpsburg, Maryland
Paddling Since: 1973
We have a 10YO boy named Ocoee after the Ocoee river in Tennessee. Ocoee is Cherokee for "place where the passion flowers grow". So far he really likes his name. (he is a paddler too).
yakmom_8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010   #8
Palisade, Colorado
Always liked the name "Archer Logan _______"

JK_44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010   #9
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: '05
Hayduke Swain.

Ed Abbey counts as an outdoor reference right?
Dude, I'd see you on the river but I'm hardly ever out there.
SimpleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010   #10
Renaissance Redneck
Huson, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
In addition to the 5th grader test make sure you go out on the porch and holler it at the top of your lungs a few times followed by something like "come home for supper"
That said, I have always been partial to ethnic names like Billy Joe Swain or John Earl Swain or Virgil James Swain.

"You're gonna be doin a lot of doobie rolling when youre LIVIN IN A VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER"
LSB is offline   Reply With Quote