Old 10-12-2005   #1
pnw, Washington
OT: Supreme Court nominee's?

Now that the exciting Mwave threads have died down and we havent had an political threads in a while, i have some questions. What do you think of the supreme court nominees? Do you believe that Roe v. Wade will be overturned? Interesting that Rove was talking to Dobson before it was even announced.
My main concern over Bush was his supreme court nominee and now that he is getting to appoint two, it will be interesting to see how it plays out.

gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005   #2
I agree,Festus stacking the supreme court is a major concern!Long after these neo-conmen[paleo republicans} are gone their impact may still be felt.
actually I think Roberts might be ok ,he's more conservative than he's letting on,but is very qualified and intelligent,and I get the sense he has judicial integrity.Hey unfortunately they won and have a right to appoint people to there liking ,within reason.
Harriet "the kitchen witch'Miers[striking resemblence], on the other hand is the most blatent example of CRONYISM in world history,and not qualified!!!!
My question for all you constitutional scholars is,if it is eventually proven the GOP rigged elections in either 2000 or 2004,are Bush's lifetime appointees subject to recall?

cayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005   #3
Arvada, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Hey Greg,

I still have those low rider towers if you want them.

I sent you an email but I haven't heard from you.

Let me know.

andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005   #4
Summit, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to COUNT
Pre-warning: Though I follow what goes on, I claim no political authority on any issue or in general.

With that disclaimer, I agree that Roberts seems pretty decent. Regardless of which party he belongs to, I've gotten the impression that he thinks for himself and doesn't just do things along party lines (which is exactly what I look for in a politician).

These cons, or psuedo-cons, are certainly not neocons, though. As for rigging elections, I don't think anyone in the position to do something cares enough to actually look into what went on. Also, remember that not only are the Republicans currently in power, but the powerful ones have a lot of money. Honestly, I do not believe the 2004 election was rigged. Though I am not sure about 2000, the optimist in me wants to see the natural good in people (I know it's a little naive) and believe that the election was not rigged. I prefer to look to the next election, though. I expect all parties will have a good candidate, especially since we won't have to deal with encumbency this time around.

Just my thoughts

"The world would be a better place if everyone kayaked."-Brad Ludden (Valhalla)
"You only get one chance to run a drop blind."-DD
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005   #5
pnw, Washington
Andy, I sent you a note to the email you listed. I decided to change vehicles so I cant use them. I musta typed the wrong email.
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005   #6
nothing like a good political thread to puil me out of retirement from the buzz. All I have to say is cayo--you are crazy man. Next it will be UFO's and aliens running the white house. Get a clue as to what is really going on, educate yourself, cut the propaganda BS and speak intelligently on the subject like I know you can instead of rambling on about this rigging crap.
Second, this is not the first nor the most blatant move of cryonism in the White House. I don't know how you feel about LBJ sine he was responsible for much of Vietnam but also we have him to thank for half of all our money sucking governmental programs he put into existence so depending on the liberal--the vote is divided. He wanted to be the first man to put an african american on the supreme court so he appointed one of the current supreme court judges' son to be the attorney general. Since there would be a conflict of interest if father and son were working one as attorney general and one as a supreme court justice he made a recorded phone call to the son and told him he wanted to offer him the job but he needed his dad pressured to step down and retire. His son caved and pressured dad to retire and that's how our great nation received it's first african american supreme court justice--all thanks to LBJ. And all thanks to blackmail. Oh I forgot to mention, this african american was directly involved with his administration just as is the case now.
If you will look it up there have numerous times, some more blatant and less qualified than the present when a president has nominated a friend, employee ect. Just b/c you didn't learn it in history class or the democratic national committee has decided to leave that part out of its smears doesn't mean it's the truth. This thread is pointless. Clinton was in office for eight years and although the republicans held the house and the senate during his second term they always approved his nominations in a landslide, even if they didn't agree with them. Democrats should put up, shut up and show the same class and respect for good hardworking honest people this time around too.
medman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005   #7
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
Originally Posted by medman
Clinton was in office for eight years and although the republicans held the house and the senate during his second term they always approved his nominations in a landslide, even if they didn't agree with them. Democrats should put up, shut up and show the same class and respect for good hardworking honest people this time around too.
Hold on, Medman- put yer Talkin' Points back in yer holster. The situation was different there because Clinton took it upon himself to confer with Republican Senate leaders as to who they would accept. Imagine- they sat down in a bipartisan discussion and came to a gentleman's agreement (I'm using the term 'gentleman' loosely here with Clinton- a shitty husband but a reasonably effective president)

In fact, both Ginsberg and Breyer (Clinton's two picks during his tenture) were suggested by Orrin Hatch after Hatch told Clinton his 1st pick would be difficult to confirm. From Orrin Hatch's autobiography:

[It] was not a surprise when the President called to talk about the appointment and what he was thinking of doing.

President Clinton indicated he was leaning toward nominating Bruce Babbitt, his Secretary of the Interior, a name that had been bouncing around in the press. Bruce, a well-known western Democrat, had been the governor of Arizona and a candidate for president in 1988. Although he had been a state attorney general back during the 1970s, he was known far more for his activities as a politician than as a jurist. Clinton asked for my reaction.

I told him that confirmation would not be easy. At least one Democrat would probably vote against Bruce, and there would be a great deal of resistance from the Republican side. I explained to the President that although he might prevail in the end, he should consider whether he wanted a tough, political battle over his first appointment to the Court.

Our conversation moved to other potential candidates. I asked whether he had considered Judge Stephen Breyer of the First Circuit Court of Appeals or Judge Ruth Bader Ginsburg of the District of Columbia Court of Appeals. President Clinton indicated he had heard BreyerÂ’s name but had not thought about Judge Ginsberg.

I indicated I thought they would be confirmed easily. I knew them both and believed that, while liberal, they were highly honest and capable jurists and their confirmation would not embarrass the President. From my perspective, they were far better than the other likely candidates from a liberal Democrat administration.

In the end, the President did not select Secretary Babbitt. Instead, he nominated Judge Ginsburg and Judge Breyer a year later, when Harry Blackmun retired from the Court. Both were confirmed with relative ease.

Oh, and by the way- Breyer was confirmed when Democrats had control of the Senate (yet Clinton still conferred with then- Minority Leader Hatch), and Ginsberg was confirmed after the "Contract with America".

But thanks for the history lesson.....
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005   #8
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
Originally Posted by medman
LBJ sine he was responsible for much of Vietnam

Also - LBJ could never be confused with anyone's favorite president, but I think he only tells part of the Vietnam story. Read some history about Henry Kissinger (not written by Henry Kissinger) and get back to me. Kissinger- a conservative icon. He gave us four more years of Vietnam for the sake of getting Nixon a win, only to settle for the same terms in Paris that he scuttled before 20,000 more US soldiers had to die - not to mention hundreds of thousands of Vietnamese.

Wait a minute. What does this have to do with Bush's selection? Or, maybe more to the point, what has any of this have to do with boating?
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005   #9
ski/kayak bum

Subject: Tom DeLay

10 Mind-Numbingly Quotes by Tom DeLay

1) "So many minority youths had volunteered.that there was literally no room for patriotic folks like myself." --Tom DeLay, explaining at the 1988 GOP convention why he and vice presidential nominee Dan Quayle did not fight in the Vietnam War

2) "Now tell me the truth boys, is this kind of fun?" -Tom Delay, to three young hurricane evacuees from New Orleans at the Astrodome in Houston, Sept. 9, 2005

3) "I AM the federal government." -Tom DeLay, to the owner of Ruth's Chris Steak House, after being told to put out his cigar because of federal government regulations banning smoking in the building, May 14, 2003

4) "We're no longer a superpower. We're a super-duper power." -Tom DeLay, explaining why America must topple Saddam Hussein in 2002 interview with Fox News

5) "Nothing is more important in the face of a war than cutting taxes." -Tom DeLay, March 12, 2003

6) "Guns have little or nothing to do with juvenile violence. The causes of youth violence are working parents who put their kids into daycare, the teaching of evolution in the schools, and working mothers who take birth control pills." -Tom DeLay, on causes of the Columbine High School massacre, 1999

7) "A woman can take care of the family. It takes a man to provide structure. To provide stability. Not that a woman can't provide stability, I'm not saying that... It does take a father, though." -Tom DeLay, in a radio interview, Feb. 10, 2004

"I don't believe there is a separation of church and state. I think the Constitution is very clear. The only separation is that there will not be a government church." -Tom DeLay

9) "Emotional appeals about working families trying to get by on $4.25 an hour [the minimum wage in 1996] are hard to resist. Fortunately, such families do not exist." -Tom DeLay, during a debate in Congress on increasing the minimum wage, April 23, 1996

10) "I am not a federal employee. I am a constitutional officer. My job is the Constitution of the United States, I am not a government employee. I am in the Constitution." -Tom DeLay, in a CNN interview, Dec. 19, 1995
double-a-ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005   #10
Your example of past cronyism may be valid ,I shouldn't have used a supperlative,was just blowing off steam.THE REST OF YOUR .DIDACTIC DIATRIBE IS COMPLETE BULLSHIT;the republicans did plenty to block Clintons nominees .the democrats approved something like 196 of 206 of Bush's appointees,didn'y I say i thought Roberts was ok,and isnt there supp osed to be advice and consent of the senate not just a rubber stamp.I thought you guys worshipped the"founding fathers' they put that in there to limit the powers of the executive branch,ever heard of the seperation of powers{idea thought up by a Frenchy Montesquieu} many of them were DEISTS by the way.
Did I not preface the comment with "if it is ever PROVEN" and fyi there is evidence to support some of these allegations,but the republicans in power just dismiss it ,and refuse to investigate.Diebold manufactured and programmed many of the voting machines,they are a major GOP campaign contributer.The Ohio election commission run by Mr. Blackwell was in charge of distributing the machines in that key electoral state, it is a FACT that for whatever reason predominately black /democratic districts had a shortage of machines causing long lines 'discouraging voters ,a problem not experienced elsewhere.The republicans are opposed to legislation to require a paper trail, you'd think they'd be for it 'if for no other reason than avoiding the appearence of impropriety.
Corruption and cronyism have always been around,but this administration has carried it to an extreme degree':Halliburton , Tom Delay,Bill Frist,Enron,Jack Abramoff,and the list goes on,and on.When the Republicans made allegations about Whitewater,Clinton did not twart investigations{other than stalling on turning over some documents},rather they allowed Ken Starr to conduct zealous,lengthy ,costly investigation,that proved only lying about sexual affairs and that Jim Guy Tucker did something when he was ARK. Gov.One of reasons why you're so dismissive of these charges is that has recieved minimal coverage from the alledgedly liberal mainstream media ,and even less from FOX,where Iam guessing is your preferred source of tv news.
As for aliens and ufo's 'aren't you the one who is religious 'who is it that believes in irrational things???/Sorry to offend someones religion 'but the right uses liberal and secular like 4 letter words,they never hesitated to offend us!My didactic diatribe

cayo is offline   Reply With Quote