Old 10-27-2006   #281
Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2003
I decided to go to the climbing gym after work rather than watch the Hokies get annihilated, and I came home to a nice surprise. It appears they not only won the game, but dominated every facet too.

Hey Booth, are you still laughing? I get about 5-10 good chuckles a day, still. can't wait for gauley fest next year.

don't forget to bring a towel.

Blumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006   #282
Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1999
Send a message via AIM to JCKeck1
Hey blumpkin and booth - those boatertalk guys are freaking out about the thong. Funny shit - you should stir the pot some more. Oh, no, here we go talking about paddling on the buzz again! Maybe we can get eddyflower off the ground?

JCKeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006   #283
Lyons, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Send a message via AIM to erdvm1
Joe...I can't believe you read this thread
Blumpkin I laugh all the time and tell everyone I can....I told Rinn and he was Dying
Way to go Hokies
Blumpkin...paddling Gore Sat/ Sun with Joe and A-Basin on Monday!!!
Chad called and it's raining
He's gonna run Overflow and Horsepasture...Two Green runs today
Ben...Off to paddle. Give me a ring if you see the Dawgs do something GREAT.
Steve Z good luck to the Team
Go Dawgs!!!
Happiness is a way of travel not a destination
erdvm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006   #284
Gnarnia, Colorado
12-pack Miller Highlife - $8.60

Burgers - $31.00

Charcoal - $4.00

The look on Spurrier's face when he finally knew the VOLS were going to win.

JBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006   #285
Gnarnia, Colorado
West Virginia's Weakness

"I am sick and tired of reading about how WV is not playing anybody worthy to rank in your elite football programs. Get real. The consecutive wins from last year through this year is a statement that is not being acknowledged. The score differential is not being acknowledged. The explosive offensive and the two Heisman candidates are being overlooked additionally. Your constant diatribe about WV not being tested or not for real, is total bunk. Wake up and watch them play! How much longer can you guys be so stupid to continue to show your ignorance? Please stop your football coverage as it is lacking the reality that occurs on the field." – Unsigned

A: The better question is, do you watch anyone play other than West Virginia? If you do, then you’d know the Mountaineer competition has been awful. I can say 999 positive things about West Virginia, and every time I, or anyone else, brings up that the schedule sucks or dog the mediocre defense, Mountaineer fans take it sooooooooo personally (my personal favorites are the e-mails calling me a racist for not having Pat White or Steve Slaton in my top favorites for the Heisman).

Let’s try a different approach, and you’ll have to work with me here on a college football philosophical level: West Virginia might really be one of the five best teams in America, but that still doesn’t mean it would get through a real schedule unscathed. Sorry, but no way, no how does a one-dimensional team like this, who has faced absolutely no one that can stop the run, get through an SEC, Big Ten, ACC, Pac 10, or Big 12 schedule unscathed. Don’t bring up the 2006 Sugar Bowl win over Georgia. Beating the SEC champion and going unbeaten in a top conference are two completely different things.

You might think that’s ripping on West Virginia, but it’s not. It’s saying that in the top conferences, it’s next to impossible to get through all the landmines unscathed. Look at the WVU schedule so far (playing only one fringe bowl team): Marshall, Eastern Washington, Maryland, East Carolina, Mississippi State, Syracuse, and Connecticut. By my rough count, I came up with 39 teams (Ohio State, Michigan, Texas, USC, Arkansas, Auburn, Florida, Tennessee, Cal, LSU, Boston College, Clemson, Wisconsin, Rutgers, Notre Dame, Louisville, Georgia Tech, Nebraska, Texas A&M, Missouri, Washington State, Wake Forest, Oklahoma, BYU, Oregon, Pitt, Alabama, Hawaii, Virginia Tech, Florida State, Boise State, Miami, Texas Tech, Iowa, Penn State, UCLA, Georgia, South Carolina, and Tulsa) that I believe would have a shot at being 7-0 with the West Virginia schedule. Of those 38, figure about 28 of them would actually do it with Maryland and Syracuse decent enough to pull off wins against some of them. Is that “hating” on West Virginia? Absolutely not; it’s pointing out the obvious.

Here’s the other concept few get; the BCS championship game should be about who deserves to be in, not who everyone thinks should be in. Look, West Virginia wouldn’t beat Ohio State and Michigan and Iowa and Penn State and Wisconsin. It's about the long, week-in-and-week-out haul. It wouldn’t beat Florida, Tennessee, Georgia, South Carolina, and a team from the SEC West like Auburn, LSU, Alabama or Arkansas. It wouldn’t beat Cal, USC, UCLA, Oregon, Washington and Washington State. It wouldn’t beat Texas, Oklahoma, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, and a team from the North like Missouri or Nebraska. It wouldn’t beat Clemson, Boston College, Virginia Tech, Georgia Tech, Florida State, and Miami. Now, it would beat most of them, and could beat any of them in a one-game shot in the championship, but it wouldn’t beat everyone in one of the top leagues. Would a one-loss Florida team be more deserving of being in over an unbeaten West Virginia after games against Louisville, Rutgers and Pitt? We might get to debate that one in a few weeks.
Old 10-31-2006   #286
Vail, Colorado
Thanks for sharing that article, very informative. I also like how you used your opinion, facts and statistics to argue (what I would say) a strong point and not really make it a long winded diatribe against WV. I would say that Louisville and Rutgers are very strong teams in the Big East and make strong candidates for top 10 positions but I would have to agree with JBL on this one. Any given game against any great team from any conference is subject to a loss against WV, Rutgers and Louisville but, do it day in and day out against a conference such as the SEC or Big Ten and anyone of those 3 teams are going to be shooting a 50% winning season @ best. The conferences, in many facets, are difficult to compare but there are many true factors to be said:
1. The SEC and Big Ten are straight up bettter athletically
2. The competition in the two are tougher and much more demanding
3. Combined teams in each of the two conferences have been to more BCS bowl games than the combined teams in the ACC.

Becuase a team ends up 11-1 in a mediocre conference (NOT EVERY YEAR) doesn't give them any right to take a way a BCS bowl game from an SEC team who went 10-2 in a much more difficult conference. Stats are stats, competition in a conference is much different and should weight much more heavily when deciding bowl games.

Keck, very suprised to see you jumping in on this thread.
Steve Zizzou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006   #287
Bugtussle, Kentucky
IF the Cards beat WVU without Bush, I'll be surprised. But if they do, they will probably go undefeated. IF OSU beats Michigan, or vice versa, and Florida keeps winning...what a mess. That leaves too may 1-loss teams that are more than likely better than Louisville or WVU.

Personally, I think OSU or Michigan should be playing an SEC team for the title. By far the 2 best conferences. I think an OSU/Florida matchup would be worth watching.
bjett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006   #288
Gnarnia, Colorado
I think OSU would own the Gators...
Old 10-31-2006   #289
Vail, Colorado
Well we all know how f%cked up and bias the BCS is when there are so many teams with one loss. I would say Florida would be picked because the BCS has a hard on for them, all florida schools, nebraska and notre dame. As for me, I am with you JBL the Buckeyes would stick it to 'em. I also agree with JBETT that it would be nice to see two of the top team in the two top conferences battle it out, Ohio State would prevail. BUT, even though they play eachother at the end of the season, if they are both undefeated by that game, I think Ohio State and Michigan would be one great game to see in the national championship. The looser would want revenge, nuetral ground and what not. I just think the two teams are tougher than most the teams with one loss. Not taking away from any team though. Just my toughts. SteveZ
Old 11-02-2006   #290
Vail, Colorado
Boy-o-Boy.... we've got yet another wonderful weekend of football starting it off w/ a big one tonight. Have ya'll been checkin' out the "Dem thoughts on troop/war in Iraq" Thread. WOW, some good point but also alot of timeless rambling from uneducated people with too much time at work........ as I write this from my desk
To football and my predictions:
1. West Virginia vs. Louisville. Same old debate, they can't hang w/ the SEC or Big Ten. This one is a toss up but I think Louisville's d-fence is going to step it up and give WV their first loss.

2. Penn State will unfortunately lose to the Badgers at camp randal. Sorry PSU, just not your teams year.

3. Virginia will beat The Florida State Criminals

4. GOOOOO HAWKEYES!!!!!!!! THey will beat Northwest and run up the score board to make them look and feel better though its not Ferenz's style.

5. Florida will beat Vani but not by a large margin. Vandi has been stickin' around in tough games this year

6.Georgia vs. Kentucky. BIG SEC game here. They will both play tough ball and I have The DAWGS pullin' it out w/ high scoring game.

7. Ohio state vs Illinois: enough said

8. LSU vs Tennesse: Another tough game here boys. LSU is looking tough and I would be scared if I were the Vols. I have it going to tennesse. For some reason or another they always, in very close games, find a way to have just a few more point on the board at the end of the game.

9. Virginia Tech vs. Miami Said it before, F%CK ALL FLORIDA TEAMS

10. Wake will pull it over BC (who I believe is overrated). Put either team against a real team and we will see the W column drop quickly.

11. SOONERS!!! I miss watchin the Bozz kick some serious a$$ on the field. I guess I can just watch good ol' "Stone Cold" Killer flick. They win over A&M

12. Arkansas is for real and will continue to win but by a small margin over S. Carolina. They just need to stop messin' around on the sidelines.

Good luck to everyones teams this coming weekend and pray for snow.