Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Other Chatter > The Eddy

Old 06-20-2015   #1
Offline Mobile GPS and suggestions in general

I've been getting pretty serious into kayaking the past two years. Me and the guys are starting to get into some fun rides without service of any kind throughout 20+ miles. I'm looking for a App of some sort that will still run off of GPS that can link up to social networking. One that can track our route in real time possibly and definitely one that will store and maintain previous trips. Also ideas on equipment to keep with us on these trips and where to get quality and cost efficient supplies for emergency. I've done my homework and floated for years. I have a real passion for this and I believe the best way to learn anything is from either experience of my own or experience from others. So I'd love to hear any suggestions on everything. Thank you in advance.

Sent from my Z987 using Mountain Buzz mobile app

BluIce02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015   #2
Louisville, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Take a look at the DeLorme InReach. It's a rescue beacon but has the tracking and social stuff too. Plus it's waterproof.

I also use the Gaia GPS iPhone app which can do tracks and work without cell service but I always have to worry about keeping it dry.

MrScamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015   #3
Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
+1 for the Delorme InReach
-1 for facebooking from the river
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015   #4
I'll look into InReach. I'm a droid user hopefully they have Gaia for Android. Thanks for those suggestions MrScamp. Randaddy not into social media on the river but I want to find something that will track over to G+ or Facebook just in case something happened the people that know we are going could find our last location. When I'm in the water I'm away from social media. The only time a phone comes out is to take pictures. So I agree with you on that.

Old 06-28-2015   #5
Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
Gaia for Android

I have the Gaia android app and it works great. I've never tried to do any social media with it but it does have a share feature. Not tons of bells and whistles but really easy to use, fast to download maps for use away from cel coverage and does all the basics really well.
ventana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015   #6
Thank you ventana

Old 07-01-2015   #7
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2011
I have a Delorme In reach and Gaia GPS on my phone.

Love both. Delorme will track realtime and upload to satellites. My low cost plan does a point every 10 ish minutes, but that is good enough for me.

Delorme also has facebook and twitter hooks.

Gaia will allow me to know where I am on a previously downloaded free USGS topo map layer.

Delorme comes out on Big multi day trips. Stays in the kayak when I'm boating somepalce new with new people, and in the truck in the winter/ski season.

Gaia comes out when I'm hiking.

But for multiday trips, nothing beats a good river map.
desertSherpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015   #8
cedar city, Utah
iPhone and Trimble Outdoors subscription. Cheap and works with existing equipment. Just download the maps you need for free. Biggest benefit for me is it works as mapping software for everything else I do (backpack, hunt, etc). They have layers for public lands, roads, satellite maps, etc.

restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015   #9
Paddling in to the Future
Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
I use the Gaia GPS on my Galaxy and have a waterproof case for the galaxy. works great. with the waypoints from river brain you know exactly what rapid you're coming up on, and if you have any doubts it'll tell you the best line to take. (at least on the salmon.)

"Thats what" - She
PhilipJFry is offline   Reply With Quote