Old 10-14-2008   #11
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
i am still trying to understand why obama would be tied to anygroup like that or try to get more government funding to this group. what im saying is if theis group is radical as stated than what happens when obama mama is pres? i know bush cheney had someties and made some money, but is that what obama is trying to go for 2.

caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008   #12
Wild Wild West, Colorado
"i am still trying to understand why obama would be tied to anygroup like [ACORN]"

ACORN to McCain: Have You Lost That Loving Feeling?
October 13, 2008

Senator Allied with ACORN as Recently as 2006, Now Turns Cold Shoulder
October 13, 2008, Miami, FL - U.S. Senator John McCain's recent attacks on the Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now (ACORN) are puzzling given his historic support for the organization and its efforts on behalf of immigrant Americans. As recently as February 20, 2006, Senator McCain was the keynote speaker at an ACORN-sponsored Immigration Rally in Miami, Florida at Miami Dade College – Wolfson Campus.
The rally, co-sponsored by ACORN in partnership with the New American Opportunity campaign (NAOC), Catholic League Services – Archdiocese of Miami...

Droboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008   #13
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Mike,What ACORN does is try to register voters and circulates petitions,yes they have a liberal bias.There are plenty of conservative petitions as well. The idea of promoting voter turnout pisses off republicans because high voter turn out favors Obama,there is nothing illegal or unethical about it if they follow the rules,in fact it is good democracy.The reps are questioning whether they followed the rules which they should be called on if they didn't.There are some questionable registrations on their roles ,as would be expected with thousands/millions of people,they are transparent and even called many of them to attention themselves.What you are leaving out is the whole other side of the argument about repubs trying to TAKE AWAY PEOPLES RIGHT TO VOTE by questioning their status by caging and purging practices[see Livingstones post a couple weeks ago].

If these 'afro centric ' groups were as radical as portrayed ,why would Annenburg ,a former Reagan appointee and a conservative philanthropist continue to fund them?The link you posted said they hosted a presentation by Carruthers not that they endorsed him.Then Kurtz ties Carruthers to some other radical a sort of guilt by association twice removed.There is nothing wrong with blacks being taught cultural pride.It is totally TRUE that they have had a Euro-centric version of history forced down their throats all their lives.History has been taught in a way that downplays their contributions and glosses over their mistreatment.It is not just a slight to them, but a disservice to us all to teach such a one sided reality ,it obviously worked on you.Some black radicals carry it too far ,to be sure,I think Obama is smart enough to know better.He has been candid about a stage of his life where he tried to connect with his black side after growing up among whites.What is wrong with that?He has some connection to Wright ,wev'e already beaten that horse to death.
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008   #14
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
I've been looking into ACORN as well - the best I can tell it's pretty much a red herring with little to no effect on Nov 4th. Seems like ACORN is the latest bogeyman that the GOP is trying to make stick, but ultimately it's only a voter registration effort to get poor people to register and vote.

So if some unethical worker turns in registrations for "Mickey Mouse" and "Cosmo Kramer", they're looking to get paid the extra money for more registrations. But it doesn't mean that Cosmo Kramer is actually going to show up and VOTE. Fudged registrations happen both ways, by the way. The only concrete information I could find are isolated cases of (at most) 4000 fraudulent registrations in about 6-8 locations; the majority of which were flagged and reported by ACORN to the FEC on their own (they are required by law to turn them in and not throw out suspect registrations).

So maybe 25K bad registrations in 1.3 million? That's a discard rate of 2%, which is relatively small. The workers were fudging the books for personal financial gain - they don't get paid for voters, they get paid for registrations. So, they fudged a bunch to make it seem as if they were out pounding the streets, earning their $8 per hour; which is why you saw names like Jimmy Johns and Ronald McDonald.

Call me when 10,000 dudes claiming to be Ronald McDonald show up to vote Nov 4th -otherwise, it's not voter fraud. Voter suppression is a much bigger issue, because it can affect tens of thousands of voters..

El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008   #15
Denver, Colorado
Can you provide one example of someone being convicted of voting more than once in the last decade?
I can sure as hell supply pages and pages of articles, affidavits (from actual people purged from voter roles), etc. that prove that hundreds of thousands of people have been refused the right to vote.

What is worse, registering Mickey Mouse (who would not vote anyway) or disenfranchising hundreds of thousands of legitimate votes?

Money quote from this NYT article:
For example, major voter registration drives have been held this year in Colorado, which has also had a significant population increase since the last presidential election, but the state has recorded a net loss of nearly 100,000 voters from its rolls since 2004.
"I think I handled my alcohol pretty well considering how drunk I was." -Cousin Dan
Livingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008   #16
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Sorry Dad, I was Fired

Originally Posted by DurangoSteve View Post
Mike - Since you are such a fan of National Review, I guess you probably read this column written by Christopher Buckley, son of the late editor/publisher of NR:
Apparently, Christopher Buckley bowed out of the National Review due to the response his Obama endorsement generated over there...

So, I have been effectively fatwahed (is that how you spell it?) by the conservative movement, and the magazine that my father founded must now distance itself from me. But then, conservatives have always had a bit of trouble with the concept of diversity. The GOP likes to say it’s a big-tent. Looks more like a yurt to me.

While I regret this development, I am not in mourning, for I no longer have any clear idea what, exactly, the modern conservative movement stands for. Eight years of “conservative” government has brought us a doubled national debt, ruinous expansion of entitlement programs, bridges to nowhere, poster boy Jack Abramoff and an ill-premised, ill-waged war conducted by politicians of breathtaking arrogance. As a sideshow, it brought us a truly obscene attempt at federal intervention in the Terry Schiavo case.

So, to paraphrase a real conservative, Ronald Reagan: I haven’t left the Republican Party. It left me.
Kinda sad, actually...
I've a suggestion to keep you all occupied...learn to swim!
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008   #17
Self-Aggrandizing jackass
The Ranch, Colorado
Paddling Since: 04
Another nail in the coffin of the Republican party is the intolerance toward dissent within its own ranks. What's left of the Republican establishment has gone necrotic. I don't know whether the party will actually die and a new second party take its place, or whether its death will cause the remaining adherents to redefine themselves in a more grounded fashion with facts. If the Ron Paul/libertarian camp were smart, they'd start redefining themselves beyond Republican.

The Architect's lasting legacy will be the marginilization of the party for the next 20 years, at best. A new generation of voters, coming of age under Dubya, will forever keep their distance from the intolerant, self-deluding, theocratic nutjobs that have represented Republicans for the last 8 years.
"self-aggrandizing jackass" - it says it right on the label
heliodorus04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008   #18
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Richard Lugar says Obama is CORRECT

John McCain seems to think we shouldn't talk to our enemies. Apparently he was not paying attention during the entire Cold War when we maintained contact with the USSR. Now, his highly regarded Republican colleague, Richard Lugar, has said that Obama's approach to diplomacy is the correct one.

The ranking Republican on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee parted ways with his party's presidential nominee Wednesday by endorsing Democrat Barack Obama's approach to diplomacy.

In a lengthy speech at the National Defense University, Indiana Sen. Richard G. Lugar weighed the benefits of talking to foreign leaders, including U.S. enemies, against other actions, such as military force. The issue marks one of the sharpest divides between Obama and John McCain, who has called the Democratic nominee naive for suggesting that he would sit down with leaders such as Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.

Lugar, however, praised Obama, noting that isolation often does not resolve contentious issues.

"He correctly cautions against the implication that hostile nations must be dealt with almost exclusively through isolation or military force," Lugar said in a prepared remarks released before his speech. "In some cases, refusing to talk can even be dangerous."
I've liked and respected Lugar for a long time. Once again, he has shown why he is highly regarded by folks on both sides of the aisle.

DurangoSteve is offline   Reply With Quote

lier, obama, senator acorn