Other Boats
Skiing & Boarding
Want Ads
Industry Jobs
Place an Ad

Old 04-15-2012   #31

Fort Collins, CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
I'm not talking about what it says in the dictionary. There's a lot of crap in the dictionary. I'm talking about common usage. As you would not say, "I'm going to author this book," you would also not say, "I'm going to oar this boat through Lava Falls." If you DID say that, I would entirely expect you to drop into the ledge hole because of your inexperience, as indicated by your choice of words.

Old 04-15-2012   #32
LSB
Renaissance Redneck

Huson, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
I'm with ya emmielou. It always sounds funny to me when I hear someone say "I'm a good rower" or "I'll oar the flat water for ya" But I never bother to point it out because I also tend to misconscrew my own verbiage. Time for takemetotheriver to pipe in... she's an english teacher and stuff so she must talk good.

Old 04-15-2012   #33

irvine, California
Paddling Since: 1987
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewaterjunkie
I'm not talking about what it says in the dictionary. There's a lot of crap in the dictionary. I'm talking about common usage. As you would not say, "I'm going to author this book," you would also not say, "I'm going to oar this boat through Lava Falls." If you DID say that, I would entirely expect you to drop into the ledge hole because of your inexperience, as indicated by your choice of words.
I've yet to oar my boat into the ledge hole, but if I do, it wont have anything to do with my oaring abilities or lack of experience, it'll have everything to do with my choice of words. Makes sense to me now why I flipped on Skull in the teens years ago--I didn't use the proper verbiage.

You row your boat gently down the stream, I'll continue to oar (and risk flipping) mine. When I arrive at the take out, I can guarantee I'll be relaxed and recharged because I will not have focused on the inconsequential and trite things such as using oarsman, oaring instead of rowing and rowers. And, I might carry a dictionary just to piss off people like you for additional fun and merriment as I laugh some more at your expense.
Old 04-16-2012   #34

Palisade, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
Although both terms convey the same basic message, I prefer to "row" my cataraft. It implies so much more finess and skill than simply "oaring". Like the difference between f***ing and making love.
Old 04-17-2012   #35
Kjirsten

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSB View Post
I'm with ya emmielou. It always sounds funny to me when I hear someone say "I'm a good rower" or "I'll oar the flat water for ya" But I never bother to point it out because I also tend to misconscrew my own verbiage. Time for takemetotheriver to pipe in... she's an english teacher and stuff so she must talk good.
OK OK- It irritates me when people say "oaring," not because it is incorrect grammar, but because it is obsolete grammar. I don't point it out on the Buzz, but when someone says it on a river trip, I might say something really douchbaggey, like- No, thou mayest not oar my craft! Of course it was first used in 1610- it's an old word. The use of the word as a verb became obsolete when the use of "row" became popular.

Also, just because we say "oarsman" as in a man who runs the oars, does not mean "oaring" is automatically acceptable just as rowing does not make the term rowsman acceptable.

Remember, continuing to use the words groovy or hip does not make you cool, but then, if you are using those words, you probably don't care about being cool, so carry on.
"There is NOTHING--absolute nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Look here! If you've really nothing else on hand this morning, supposing we drop down the river together, and have a long day of it?" -Wind in the Willows
Old 04-17-2012   #36
CGM

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
Since all the new schoolers are now calling it running the "brown" am I no longer allowed to call it running the "shit"?
Please, grammer douches, enlighten me...
Old 04-17-2012   #37

Rainy Northwest, Washington
Paddling Since: 1980
The Urban Dictionary defines "oaring" as:

The act of stumbling around randomly, smacking people in the face with oars; verb.

Urban Dictionary: Oaring

Rowing, on the other hand, includes the following:

The hardest sport. EVER. Much harder than swimming. But normally done by hotties.

Urban Dictionary: rowing

So I don't oar unless I am drunk, in camp, and trying to rig a rainfly with oars in a windstrom.
Old 04-17-2012   #38

irvine, California
Paddling Since: 1987
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftwater15 View Post
The Urban Dictionary defines "oaring" as:

The act of stumbling around randomly, smacking people in the face with oars; verb.

Urban Dictionary: Oaring

Rowing, on the other hand, includes the following:

The hardest sport. EVER. Much harder than swimming. But normally done by hotties.

Urban Dictionary: rowing

So I don't oar unless I am drunk, in camp, and trying to rig a rainfly with oars in a windstrom.
Whatever floats your boat and moves your bows.
Old 04-18-2012   #39

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
i think you sound like a know it all douche. get over your self and save you english lesson for the coffee shop and not the river.
Old 04-18-2012   #40

InaRV, Colorado
Paddling Since: 12BC
River guide vs. raft guide... I dont guide the river, I guide the raft.