Old 09-25-2007   #1
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
NHL Fans

As long as I can remember all of my paddling buds have not enjoyed discussing hockey with me, and I was just wondering of there were any kayakers out there that enjoy the sport as much as i do? anyway weigh in with your thoughts and comments.

By the way the Avalanche have a very competitive team and will make a serious run at the Stanley Cup this year!!

The Warrior of the Light Knows that eveything around him form part of his Good Fight. -Paulo Coelho
DRACO18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007   #2
Self-Aggrandizing jackass
The Ranch, Colorado
Paddling Since: 04
The Avs suck, and are doomed. I hate them, and I hate everyone who likes them.

Go Canucks. We'll suck without offense, but we have the best goaltender in the league.

In the Northwest, watch out for Minnesota, and you can forget about Calgary. Mike Keenan ruins teams. That's his job. I've followed him since St. Louis, and he coached the Canucks for a year, single-handedly getting Pavel Bure to quit playing for the team because he was such a Tool (actually they both were tools).

Ducks and Sharks are my picks from the West. Rangers from the East. You heard it hear first.

yes, I really hate the Avs and anyone who likes them. Get used to it.

"self-aggrandizing jackass" - it says it right on the label
heliodorus04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007   #3
C. Springs, Colorado

Avs do have a good chance this year...........much better than the Canucks...........cus they sucks.......hard to count out the Ducks......but they sucks too.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007   #4
pnw, Washington
Many kayakers love hockey but not all of us love the avs. Not sure I share your optimism on their season but I wish you luck. I have really enjoyed the opening up of the ice the last couple of years. While I am far from a Sabres fan, I do love watching their style of hockey. Its just wide open and beautiful to watch. I just hope my fantasy draft went well. Tired of getting my ass kicked.
racerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007   #5
Oakville, Ontario
Paddling Since: 1999
YOu wan to talk hockey with Kayakers?

If you are looking to talk hockey with Kayakers COlorado shouldn't be a bad place, I know plenty of paddlers who now live in CO that are from MN (Find John Melrose), MI (thats me), etc...that enjoy hockey. If you want real discussion with Kayakers about Hockey visit a Canadian Kayak site: Boat Werks: Canada's Kayak Shop. Home Page I'm sure find plenty of crazed hockey fans.
LETS GO RED WINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AVS Haha...Ryan Smith is a good addition and will be a crutch for Sakic, Hejduk- yup he's good, ,Budij will be OK and Theodore may be a good back up and if he's pn his game he could make them a great team, the young talent could also be a force, but I'm not expecting much...they migth make the playoffs.

Hockey since the last lockout is never really know who will be a real contender...Look at last season, Edmonton and Calgary were expected to do great things they were nowhere in sight. Anaheim was a darkhorse and low and behold their system works in the "New NHL"

Here are this years top 5 Teams in my opinion, and just to note I hate some of these teams - like Ottawa, they are a bunch of Bastards:

Ott. Sens. - bastards! - possibly last year Spezza and Heatly will be togther, Top notch crazy ass goalie, stong D, Strong Forwards, depth ,this will be their last shot with this team! Expect a bonefide run for the cup.

Pitt. Pens. - Young Guns! They've added some vets over the past season, they will be the Sens #1 foe in the East, I am little bit unsure of Marc Andre Fluery he may still be a a little bit young.

NY Rangers - They poises for another run, if they stay healthy, they have a good package, scorers, D's, and a great goaler. But you never know which Jagr will show up? overweight and unmotivated or in shape a ready to win, Straka is getting Old, Shannahan is Old...although the new aquisitions Sean Avery(added bruiser and maybe even a 30 pinter this year), Chris Drury - little injury prone in Buffalo, but I thinks he's ready to play(I'm sure remember how he good he made the Avs.), Scott Gomez - Holy Shit! Veteran from Jersey...on paper this could actually be one of the most experienced teams in the leaugue.

The Detroit Red Wings...Lindstrom, Chelios, Rafalski, Hasek, Osgood, , Holstrum, Datsuk, Zetterberg, Cleary, Draper, Filppula, Hudler...the list keeps going - This team have serious depth! They crushed the NY Rangers in preseason play last night 6-1! Need I send more.

Anaheim - Do i need to say anything, defending champs, the only issues there are Nydermeyer and Salane(not on their roster on their offical website), Will they come back? If Niedermayer comes back he'll tear it up, if Selane cmes back...he's already been reported as saying that he has accomlished all his Hockey goals, he may not be so motivated anymore. J.S Giguere - his pads are freakin huge, try to put a puck past those things. Pronger, Schneider, Bertuzzi, Getzlaf, MacDonald, Kunitz...these guys are pretty stacked.

Dark Horse - Vancouver Canuks - Roberto Luongo! the Sedin twins, Naslund, Linden, Morrison, Beiska,...thiewr biggest weakness could be D. Did I say Robero Luongo!(Move over Marty B. theres a new sheriff in gaolieville)

Worst 5 teams:
Florida Panthers
Chicago Black Hawks
Phoenix Coyotes
Edmonton Oilers
Boston Bruins
markpospisil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007   #6
Self-Aggrandizing jackass
The Ranch, Colorado
Paddling Since: 04
Well, it's all mental masturbation at this point about predictions.

Stuff I wanna talk about.

Chris Chelios. I used to hate him, because I thought he was dirty. I think I still do. But at 44, and still playing solid minutes and solid quality every night, I gotta respect the guy. He's the real iron man.

Am I the ONLY one who is asking WHY THE HELL the Flames would sign on as coach Iron Mike Keenan? Has no one else heard the stories of that guy sowing hatred and contempt in the locker room?
"self-aggrandizing jackass" - it says it right on the label
heliodorus04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007   #7
Oakville, Ontario
Some players need a coach they hate in order to play well and be mtivated to "prove someone wrong" that movie abou the Lkae Placid Olympic Hockey team.

But he is a prety good tactitian of the game of hockey, maybe thats why they want him, that arsehole
Old 09-27-2007   #8
Oakville, Ontario
Also, predictions from me aren't mental masterbation they are almost as good as gold....fools gold maybe, but still that will trick a few dumbasses into believing that i'm right....
The Maple Leafs got stomped by Buffalo last night, And now they are getting ready to get stomped my Det. on Fri.

RE: Chelios - Can you emagine getting pounded by a class IV-V river 82+ times a year at 44 years old...HOly shit this dudes freakin' insane!
Old 09-27-2007   #9
pnw, Washington
Calgary has talent but lacks discipline, Keenan will rattle their cages. Its easy enough to replace him if it doesnt work but if you can get a guy for 1 million to turn around 40 million in talent, why not?
racerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007   #10
GWS, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
I used to have a hard time watching hockey on TV because i really didn't understand it. But 3 years ago i learned how to skate and started playing in our local adult rec league 2 years ago and it is sick. It is so fun that i look forward to hockey season like i do kayaking and skiing seasons. Now that i play I enjoy it mo better on the tube.

I encourage all of my friends to play. Most rec leagues have a beginer division. And learning to skate with pads on and being on the ice really accelerates the learning curve.

Mut is offline   Reply With Quote