Old 11-18-2012   #21
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Nah, how about the super cool "mary jane"......

I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012   #22
Prineville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2010
Originally Posted by lhowemt
Nah, how about the super cool "mary jane"......
Best one yet.

BryanS. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012   #23

One of my best friends just named his daughter Scout...he is a hunter and not a boater but even my wife likes it. Our best girl name, we had a boy, was Wyatt. Not really a river deal, but western. Good luck, we are having a great time!
leo_amore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012   #24
Silverthorne, Colorado
Joy! she would have her own theme song. listen to it here...
"we want u to be HAPPY, cause this is your song too"
webby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012   #25
Eagle, Colorado
When I was pregnant with my first and didn't know if it was to be a boy or girl, I had Lily Catherine and Jackson Bates picked out. Middle names are family names. Well, out she popped, and Lily it was. After spending the first glorious hours together, Lily just did not seem to fit. From some where came Dylan (not even in the running for boy names), and called my mom for another middle idea. Her mothers maiden name was Starr. Hence my Dylan Starr. When I was pregnant with my son, we decided to wait to meet him. It took two weeks to come up with Wyatt Bates. Had considered Bates as a first name but definitely did not pass the 5th grade test. Master...
I happen to like the unisex names for girls, but I also really liked Kaya and Katia. (Ka-tee-ya). Bryce is another cool canyon name.
Congratulations, it is a beautiful journey, enjoy the ride!
mommydevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012   #26
carbondale, Colorado
Debs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012   #27
Aspen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
My sister named her little girl Grendel. Same as the monster in Beowulf. Really sweet kid, but the absolute worst name ever for a girl
ZGjethro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012   #28
Arboles, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
We have friends who named their daughter Brooke LaDore - she is as beautiful as her name suggests!
Stitches 'N Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012   #29
In this bullshit three-ring circus sideshow of freaks, Arkansas
Paddling Since: 1986
Send a message via AIM to kayakArkansas
Originally Posted by mommydevo View Post
. It took two weeks to come up with Wyatt Bates. Had considered Bates as a first name but definitely did not pass the 5th grade test. Master...
Funny! My best friend's LAST name is Bates (no gettin' around that one). I'm 28, and I still call him Master Bates. That just never gets old...

Yes, I am a 5th grader trapped in a 28 year old's body.
kayakArkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012   #30
Red Beard
Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
I've never been sure if our names define us or if we live up to our names, but it seems to me that almost everyone's name is an extension of their personality, interests, or lifestyle.

We wanted to name my daughter after my wife's grandfather, but Willy Spencer just didn't seem to fit... Ha! But his favorite movie/book of all time was To Kill a Mockingbird. We named her Olivia Scout. She lives up to both names. She's outgoing (extending the olive branch) and is very inquisitive (always scouting). She's two - I think we nailed her name. And Scout is an awesome river/adventure name, IMHO.

When we were naming her I read something that said in the olden days people waited a little while (sometimes months) to name their child after they got to know them a bit. Their was also a party with friends and family to announce the name. I think that's a great idea, and would have done it in a heartbeat, but I'm not sure the hospital will let you leave without a name these days (for social insecurity / tax reasons). Also, I think you do get to know the kid and their personality while in the womb - if you listen and interact with them enough.

Congratulations and good luck! Naming someone is a difficult task, and has lifelong connotations. It should not be taken likely. I'm sure you realize that. The child is a reflection of you and your partner, so naming them something that is significant to both of you, but opens doors for them, is very important.

Tindel is offline   Reply With Quote