Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Other Chatter > The Eddy

Old 11-15-2011   #1
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
My dad on PBS Wed 11/16 (economics)

My dad's new book the Darwin Economy, should have a segment on PBS Wed, november 16.

Bruno, you should watch this.

His ideas seem sound for both left and right thinkers, as long as you're not stuck with a tea-bagger mindset that all taxes are bad.

The book is really understandable even to folks like me who don't delve too deeply into fiscal policies.

I pasted his email about it:

If you're a regular viewer of the PBS NewsHour, then you're probably, like me, a big fan of economics correspondent Paul Solman's segments. Tonight the NewsHour will air an 8-minute segment of his about The Darwin Economy, based on footage we shot at the traveling Darwin exhibition shortly before it opened in Atlanta's Fernbank Museum of Natural History this fall. I haven't seen it yet, but his longtime producer, Lee Koromvokis, seems very pleased with it.

The segment is scheduled to run in the second half of the show, assuming it doesn't get bumped by breaking news. PBS normally archives Paul's segments online, so if you miss it and would like to watch it, I'll post a link to it on the book's Facebook page.

Warmest wishes,

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011   #2
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
Nice! I'll record that for sure.

El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011   #3
Golden, Colorado
Just set the DVR with 3 minutes to spare. Thanks for the head up.
blutzski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011   #4
Boulder, Colorado
This got bumped for breaking news, but is scheduled to air tonight. I'll try to post a link to it after the fact.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011   #5
Boulder, Colorado
Toni Frank
Toni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011   #6
Yes, nice interview.

Yes, free markets aren't perfect. Lot's of examples of that. A few modifications of markets can make things more efficient. Lot's of examples of that too.

Finding the right balance takes discussion and analysis.

Simple solutions don't exist.
basil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011   #7
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
One thing to remember is that when pondering the notion of his theories in a social context - social Darwinism, Darwin was aghast at the prospects. He saw it as the ultimate barbarism, which it would be. Its kind of paradoxical that many in the "Christian" Right who oppose teaching evolution have come to embrace social Darwinism.
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011   #8
Denver, Colorado
Good post! Well said Andy. That was a less eccentric Veblen type argument. Conspicuous consumption [ a term Veblen coined] beyond the point of rational wants and needs is purely for status and prestige,at the highest levels only for status among other elites,they already have status among ordinary people they're rich, successful ,more desirable mates,etc. Their excessive acquisitiveness is clearly detrimental to society!!! There is a big difference between the added value of an Edison or Ford's pursuits and venture capitalists/roving blocks of money going around buying up companies to squeeze money out of via absentee ownership.The thing that is really forgotten is that economics is a sub-branch of sociology ,just one aspect of how we organize ourselves. Our culture has made it the focal point of the universe,badly out of balance.

Does anybody remember the film Koyaanisquatsi [sp? ] ? Recommended.
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011   #9
Golden, Colorado
Interesting video and well explained.

I guess that would explain the obscene salaries that financial execs are getting. When I was watching the Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac execs trying to justify their huge bonuses even after they had to get bailed out, they said they had to retain top talent. Really? I'm sure Dave's dad could do the job any of those dumbf#*&s are doing in his sleep and he's probably not making 20 million a year. It's just become evolution of the species like antlers that are too large

blutzski is offline   Reply With Quote