Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Other Chatter > The Eddy

Old 08-16-2011   #11
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Let's cut him some slack, it is some secondary peak anyway not the main summit. Like him or not,, corny or not,he wrote his most famous song and one associated with our state near there.I always went back and forth on him--he sucks - he is kinda good in a hoaky way.
I remember despising John Cougar and-Hurts So Good.One of my punk friends tagged him in the head with a full order of nachos at the Rainbow Music Hall,had cheese dripping off his head.We thought it was pretty funny at the time.Then he was the warm up band for some good bands[ Jethro Tull?[ up in Boulder was getting heavily booed but kept playing encores.He was hated around here by many back in the day.I hated him.Now I think his music is okay and he is a good guy with Farm Aid and whatnot.I think Denver supported some good causes too.So what if he drank.

Why did i write this crap...who cares...i don:t and i wrote it....sorry

cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011   #12
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
How did JD prove himself a "jerkwad" in the 70s? I don't know much about the guy.

I had the same impression about renaming a mountain until I was informed that it's not renaming Sopris but just naming an unnamed peak on Sopris where he supposedly wrote Rocky Mountain High or some shit like that. I don't know, honoring him seems ok. He was a talented singer/songwriter whose music pays tribute to many of the things we love about the state. Personally I just think "John Denver" is a weird name for a peak - I would call it "Deutschendorf Peak". Then it has a story.

KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011   #13
Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
He was born in Roswell, New Mexico...
Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011   #14
Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Originally Posted by cayo 2 View Post
Let's cut him some slack, it is some secondary peak anyway not the main summit.
For those "confused" out there. Mount Sopris has two peaks of approximately equal height. There is no "secondary peak". Refer to this topo.

The East Peak (where the red line stops) is the peak she wants us to call John Denver. The red line is the standard route up the mountain. Most people do not make the other peak (which on topo maps is where the Sopris name is usually pinned).

So most people reach the East Peak and and say they have sumitted Sopris. Which is true because each peak is approx. equal height.

The East Peak is no secondary peak and is not a false summit. Regardless pop stars should not have their names pinned on mountains.
Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011   #15
Spits Hot Fire
N. Cascades, Washington
Oh, he's corny.

John Denver, Singing on Skis! - YouTube

Your opinion doesn't matter when you're already biased.
FLOWTORCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011   #16
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Well that video Flowtorch posted definitely swings it back to he sucked.

Chaser,There is more than one peak,apparently the cartographer was confused too,because he/she chose to label the other one as Mt. Sopris, ergo the primary peak. Maybe secondary/primary is a poor choice of words.It's the same mountain .I used to know all the rules regarding distances between peaks and drop in connecting saddles to qualify as having legitimately summited 14'ers, and that distinguish separate mountains and sub -peaks of the same mountain,but i haven't climbed for years.

As far as naming mountains after people IDK.Aren't a lot of them named after various people already? I agree something seems wrong about it,but what harm is really done?It seems better when it:s named after some unique feature, the explorer,or historical figures from the area, than after some cornball singer .I'll give you that ! I guess the question is ,do we include entertainers/athletes in the group worthy of such honors?

cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote