Old 08-27-2008   #1
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Moving west, where should I live

I'm planning to relocate out west in a couple of months. I'm self-employed and can work from just about anywhere as long as my cell phone works. I am planning to head out there in a couple of weeks to visit some towns and would like to get some thoughts on those towns and/or suggestions of other places to check out.

I am a new paddler, but plan to continue so access to Class II/III and hopefully in the next year III/IV is important. Non-paddling things that are important:

Good singletrack
Good road biking, which isn't hard to find.
Skiing nearby would be nice
Access to organic foods
Reasonable housing
A great brewpub would be nice, but a good beer bar will do
A bike friendly community. Ideally I could live in a reasonable bike riding distance of everything.
No sprawl
Reasonable male:female ratio (I hear some mtn towns are very screwed up in this regard).

I'm undecided on size. I live a pretty nice city of about 250k people where I live walking distance from everything important, although I do have to drive 7 miles to do any mtn biking. I think I might be able to be happy in a much smaller town, but probably something around 100k would be a good balance.

Places I'm thinking about visiting based on reading with a heavy influence from Outside magazine's best places to live in the last few years:

Sailda, CO
Crested Butte, CO
Gunnison, CO
Golden, CO
Ft. Collins, CO
Helen, MT
Missoula, MT
Coeur D'Alene, ID
Spokane, WA
Moscow, ID
Boise, ID

The list is a little CO heavy, but that's because I've been around there a good bit and have friends in Denver.

If you think there are other places worth looking at or have comments on any of these places let me know. I appreciate any help.

stoneipa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008   #2
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
What about Durango? Not that I want anyone else to move here, but I have to stick up for my hometown.

We're between two ski resorts, 45 min and an hour away respectively; there are tons of roadbikers here who love themselves, even if they aren't universally loved by the town; 5 minutes to about ten mtn bike trails; 30 minutes to hundreds more; Class III run right through town with good play waves (and supposedly a park in the works); Class IV and V runs within 30 minutes and several others within 4 hours.
2 health food stores, tons of hippies, and 4 different breweries!

Oh- and there are more available girls here than guys- if that's what you're into.

TakemetotheRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008   #3
Summit, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to COUNT
Yeah, I'd add Durango and Lyons to that list.
"The world would be a better place if everyone kayaked."-Brad Ludden (Valhalla)
"You only get one chance to run a drop blind."-DD
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008   #4
no tengo
Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
no no not durango. you want dove creek colorado. look it up its tha shite.
mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008   #5
jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1996
try jackson, WY... or JXN to the rest of the world. This valley could always use another new person who works from their phone. dont worry about all the fucking snobby assholes they are only here once in a while and dont represent the dirt bags that all moved away. Skiing, check- cycling, check- mtns, check- elitist fucks- check Good luck and get a mouthpiece
3d360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008   #6
If you are into chicks.. anywhere in the mountains is out of the question.. Except as 3d says I would totally live in Jackson regardless of the ratio. Despite what some might say Boulder is a fun college town with all that you are looking for.. (even the guy/girl ratio) affordable rent and living wise, entry level single family home will cost you though.
cma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008   #7
the fort, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
of the ones you list, i would choose gunny, fort collins, or missoula. each has its plusses and minuses, and each is very livable in my opinion. to put it another way - we've decided that if we leave fort collins (unlikely at this point), it will be for one of those two towns.
By the waterside I will lay my head.
Listen to the river sing sweet songs to rock my soul.
the_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008   #8
Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
If you move to Fort Collins, would you mind bringing some water with you?
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008   #9
Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Originally Posted by mania View Post
no no not durango. you want dove creek colorado. look it up its tha shite.
Although Dove Creek is by far the nicest little town in the west, the gurls there wont give it up unless you are a cousin and/or brother.
WestSlopeWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008   #10
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Monticello, Utah. It's right up against the Abajo Mountains, close to Canyonlands, up the road from the San Juan River. And there are scads of Mormon chicks who want to enter into plural marriage. The downside? You have to buy the required "magic underwear" from the LDS Church and cough up 10% of your net income to support the church. But those Mormon girls have really cool hairdos and those unbelievably sexy Little House on the Prairie dresses.

DurangoSteve is offline   Reply With Quote