Old 12-24-2010   #1
Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: '92
MOVIE REVIEW - any and all

"The Tourist"
Big thumbs down. I dont get to the movies often and to go spend the $$ and see such a flop is quite dissapointing. Predictable, slow, cliche, ends on a low note. Just straight up lame and I am easily entertained. Just wanted to make sure everyone knew not to even pay-per-view this one. I thought Kenny Rogers "Six Pack" from the 70's trumped this one.

"We're gonna need a bigger boat"
CBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010   #2
Self-Aggrandizing jackass
The Ranch, Colorado
Paddling Since: 04
Saw "True Grit" today. HUGE western fan, and I loved it. More about character arcs than action, but that's fine by me. Loved the new take on Rooster P. Cogburn. LOVED the little girl who starred opposite Damon and Bridges. Dialogue that is truly outstanding, and high production values all around.

Then watched "Easy A" with the fam, and it's an instant classic in the line of John Hughes movies. Terrific characters, story, and acting.

"self-aggrandizing jackass" - it says it right on the label
heliodorus04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010   #3
God Amongst Men
Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
^ I am going to go see that today, I cant wait! And Im glad to hear about the little girl, I really found kim darby to be overly annoying in the original. but thats what you get when you cast a 25 year old to play a 14 year old. Matt Damon and Jeff Bridges are both fantastic actors so I look forward to this greatly!

TRON: Legacy is a movie that I think will get mixed reviews. If you know whats going on and are following the movie well, then you will enjoy it. Seeing the first one is not necesarily a pre-requisite but it helps. The #D is a visual treat and could overwhelm someone whos not paying attention but I think most people will like it a lot, Ive seen it twice and am going back from round 3 Monday.

On a kayak note, i got Hotel Charley 5: First Descent a few weeks ago and I must say, it is one of the better kayaking movies Ive seen! Ben does a great job of narrating, and the music goes right along with the pace of the movie. Its half documentary and half kayak movie, but the rivers they run and the places they visit are tremendous, and Ben and Co always do a great job with that perfect balance or action, lifestyles, and everything in between. The Rio Piaxtla is a sweet clip, especially if you followed the trip reports on Darin's blog, and the brazil segment is kick ass. But the best part by far is in India; the chapter about the Dibong River is as close as youll ever get to being there with these guys. Ive bought a lot of kayak films over the years and this one is right up there with The Risen Sun and The Black Book my favorites!
"Don't f$&@ing eddy out, just run it! Whaddya doin??" -LMyers
yetigonecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010   #4
Golden, Colorado
Just watched Inception on On Demand. Psychological thriller. Very good.
blutzski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010   #5
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I recently started renting from Redbox a lot,pretty limited selection of mostly crap.A couple I liked were Cemetery Junction and Winters Bone.Ricky Gervais is a very multi-talented guy and damn funny. Cemetery Junction is a B+ British comedy good mostly because of off beat dialogue and a guy with the dumbest tattoo you've ever seen.

Winter's Bone was a really good portrayal of impoverished rural [ozarks] whites with a decent plot.I sort of liked Robin Hood ,Russel Crow was good and it was a different take on the story .The action scenes were a mixture of pretty good epic battle scenes and annoying 'too fast paced' special effects that didn't make sense.Don McKay,was a wierd but semi good movie.McGruber was stupid but had some funny parts.Manson sucked.How can you make Charlie boring.
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011   #6
Wilmington, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 2007
Harry Potter - uhhhhmazing
How Do You Know - cute but not even a very satisfying romantic comedy
ReefGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011   #7
Farmington, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1990
Saw Black Swan last weekend. Pretty tense, very well filmed. Not much story beyond "stressed dancer goes crazy" but good treatment of the material, along with a HOT girl/girl scene (Portman/Kunis). My wife agrees

Can't wait to see the Fighter tonight after the Jets finish off the Patriots (Woooohooo!)
4 out of 3 people have trouble with fractions.
tyaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011   #8
Arlington, Virginia
Recently saw The King's Speech. Great film. I was a little worried about it going in, but it was worth it, and deserving of all the buzz it's gotten. Highly recommend it!
When there's nothing left to burn, you have to set yourself on fire.
LexusChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011   #9
The Kings Speech. Great actors movie. If you like stage acting this is just superb.

Inception. Worth the 10 bucks. Still wondering if I got it!

Kids are Alright. Great acting a few naughty scenes. Help if you are a fan of one of the 3 leads

Rented Hurt Locker and The Kingdom and watched them back to back. Real intense. The Kingdom was intertaing to me becuse i know expats who work oil there. sj
sj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011   #10
Mad Scientist/Creeker
The Fighter - best I've seen recently. Makes you want to go to the gym and do some amateur fighting.

True Grit - Love the Coen brothers, cinematography, dialog and Jeff Bridges are superb, worthy, for more Jeff Bridges Crazy Heart is a masterpiece

IP Man - Best kung fu flick in a decade. Donnie Yen as Bruce Lee's master when the Japanese invaded during World War II, rent it if you are like me and love a good kung fu flick with a descent story line. Also see Red Cliff and Ong Bak II for more sweet martial arts action

Salt - Angelina Jolie as a Russian Spy, hell yes! this one works no matter how bad the Tourist was

Evan Stafford
Cub boater: "What do the spiders mean?" Old fart boater: "Trust your intuition." CRCII
RiverWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote