Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Other Chatter > The Eddy

Old 09-09-2008   #11
Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Giardia tolerance of a sort can happen. People in parts of the world without a treated water supply (aka 70% of the planet) are gulping the little buggers down all the time. Like a previous poster said, it all depends on the concentration and nastiness of the bacteria and on the state of your immune system and the flora in your guts. Lots of those people drinking their neighbors' pottywater had acute giardia at some point(projectile vomiting/diarrhea), survived it, and now have settled down into chronic infections, which let them get on with their lives, give or take the occasional shart or liquid burp. What those people also have are infant and elder death rates that are through the roof.

My advice? Go ahead and take the occasional liberty if you're in an area that seems pretty safe and you just have to taste that Rocky Mountain melt, but know that eventually the shits will strike, and strike hard. Or not. Are you a lucky guy?

bluesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008   #12
No seas pendejo
Bonedale, Ra'do
Paddling Since: Nam
Send a message via AIM to Uncle B
Perfect timing...in my Zoology class right now we are studying protozoans and microbial life. My students have collected all sorts of water from around Aspen and at 400x magnification you wouldn't believe the critters in there. Keep your mouth shut...

salvation is in the mind, be mindful at all times
J. Kerouac
Uncle B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008   #13
Since there are Giardia vaccines, you must develop some immunity to them. But, I know the vaccine isn't perfect so the immunity isn't fool proof. The vaccine isn't licensed for humans......you need to be a dog to get it.

My dog has drunk out of lots and lots of mountain streams before I got her the vaccine. I never noticed her having any serious runs where she constantly had to go out. How come she never got Giardia before I got her vaccinated?

basil is offline   Reply With Quote