Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Other Chatter > The Eddy

Old 10-17-2012   #11
Golden, Colorado
For those not willing to choose the lesser or two evils and those sick of these crap debates between two crappier candidates:

blutzski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012   #12
I think Caspermike had a great insight, that change happens locally. I think there are a lot more third party members of state legislature than nationalal, and a third party win for President would be next to impossible. I typically vote third party for change, but being in Colorado where we are close, my vote for the lesser evil could be important. I'm sure both Ron Paul and Ralph Nader aren't running as third party candidates because they also recognize they would only be spoilers for the candidate closer to their ideals. So I would have to respectfully disagree with Jens, voting lesser of two evils is definitely a voting strategy.

jbolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012   #13
Land of Lovin, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
It's not a strategic move on the voters part, it's a strategic move on the politicians part to con voters into making decisions that seem rational but are actually irrational.
Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. - Voltaire
Jensjustduckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012   #14
Land of Lovin, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Has anyone seen this story? This is ridiculous, why can't another candidate that is on the ballot take part in debating? Because the green party isn't backed and paid for by a corporation or billionaire.

Green Party Candidates Arrested at Debate Site - Washington Wire - WSJ
Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. - Voltaire
Jensjustduckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012   #15
Prineville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2010
When Ron Paul ran against bush, did he take part in debates? I can't quite remember. There would have to be some sort of standard or every George, Dick and Harry would want to enter the debate.
BryanS. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012   #16
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Daniel Ellsberg has a blog post today, which eloquently makes the case against casting a 3rd party vote as a progressive in a swing state this year...

It is urgently important to prevent a Republican administration under Romney/Ryan from taking office in January 2013.

"I lose no opportunity publicly," I told him angrily, to identify Obama as a tool of Wall Street, a man who's decriminalized torture and is still complicit in it, a drone assassin, someone who's launched an unconstitutional war, supports kidnapping and indefinite detention without trial, and has prosecuted more whistleblowers like myself than all previous presidents put together. "Would you call that support?"

My friend said, "But on Democracy Now you urged people in swing states to vote for him! How could you say that? I don't live in a swing state, but I will not and could not vote for Obama under any circumstances."

My answer was: a Romney/Ryan administration would be no better -- no different -- on any of the serious offenses I just mentioned or anything else, and it would be much worse, even catastrophically worse, on a number of other important issues: attacking Iran, Supreme Court appointments, the economy, women's reproductive rights, health coverage, safety net, climate change, green energy, the environment.
He goes on to say that he doesn't personally live in a swing state, and will be voting 3rd party, but that's not the case for a lot of us on this forum. One of two people will be President come January 21st: Romney or Obama. The differences between them and the parties they represent are stark. Don't waste your vote in a swing state like Colorado!

Of course, none of this applies to my conservative friends, whom I heartily encourage to vote your 3rd party conscience!
I've a suggestion to keep you all occupied...learn to swim!
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012   #17
A month ago Colorado was a sure enough blue state that I was going to register my protest vote, either third party (Green) or a write-in for Bernie Sanders. But with Obama's pathtic showing the last month, Colorado is once again looking like a "lessor of two evils state".

I'll list Supreme Court appointments and healthcare as my reasons for swallowing my principles and voting for one of the two corporate candidates.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012   #18
If you think the Republicans and Democrats are the same, then you haven't been paying attention.

George Bush was elected by a few votes, he ignored Al Qaeda, started the Iraq war based on a lie, lowered taxes on the rich, and appointed several supreme court justices that voted for corporate money in politics. I probably forgot a few things.
basil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012   #19
don't bogart that
Frosted Flakes N of Baytuckey, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
We do need a third

Our Republic has evolved into a plutocracy in the last thirty years, I believe it was based upon greed but we can all have our ideas. You can see it in your local candidates and the state and national candidates. Somehow we need to evolve into a nation that values things larger than the all mighty buck. Our dollar is so weak in the world market we are fighting for something we will not want when we get it. I don't have the way out, but we need to stop looking at the back of the cave of politics and find the truth and light of the entrance of the cave. Options will increase thought and I do believe that knowledge in the masses will bring truth to government.
rpludwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012   #20
Prineville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2010
...or another attempt to enact SOPA

BryanS. is offline   Reply With Quote