Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Other Chatter > The Eddy

Old 09-02-2006   #1
Last Routt County RF post- this'll get you steamed

If you search back through all the Rainbow Family bulll earlier this year you'll see that I was not their biggest fan. However, what you'll read in the following links is bullshit and I encourage anyone and everyone to make his voice heard if you find this a travesty.

Vote, protest or just give St. James the finger- it all works for me.

routter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006   #2
Metro Area, Colorado
that shit is just wrong...

cecil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006   #3
pnw, Washington
The DA is an elected position, the local public was pissed about the rainbow group coming there without a permit. The da is making the locals happy, seems to happen all the time. Quietly these guys will be released before they do the entire stretch. Doesnt make it right but its been going on since local DA's and sheriffs came into existence.
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006   #4
Boulder, Colorado
GH nailed it on the head, It's wrong though, I agree.. I bet they'll have the ACLU in Steamboat soon...LOL!!!

ps, at least they don't have to dig in the trash now, their picking up trash and getting 3 meals a day...
DGDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006   #5
I know, I know, I know- this is what the town asked for. But...really it's not. Even the second-home-owner law-and-order types with whom I've talked are pissed about the 5k is court costs and 20k locking these guys up is going to run the town. And read the second article- it doesn't seem that those who were supposedly hurt by this "theft" wanted this either.

The real point here, for those of you outside Steamboat is that this Assitant DA has a history of prosecutorial malfescence. He failed to prosecute a local cop who had sex w/ a minor while under his guidance in a mentoring posititon despite landslide evidence against him. Oh, and sound familiar? He declined to prosecute Steamboat drunk, er legend Billy Kid, after he entered a closed grocery store, disregarded multiple demands for his vacating the premesis, and stole a bunch of steaks. And it's not just big-name cases he blows. I know personally, of a number of over-zealous prosecutions ie- young college kid hears a ruckus next door...goes out to see what's the haps...peeks in the front door...sees a coupla kids he vaguely knows...tells them to get the hell out, it's not their house...is then offered a ninety day deferred sentence and felony burgalary beef for his efforts. This was all b/c he looked "weak' to St. James since his PD didn't have the skills or desire to protect a good samaritan.
routter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006   #6
It's nice to see that the Steamboat DA was forced to eat crow on this one.

cstork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006   #7
pnw, Washington
Well it wasnt quietly but kinda the way i figured it would work out
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006   #8
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Another case of the abuses wrought by big egos in the wrong places...

Glad to see that someone above them overruled them.
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006   #9
The actions of this deranged DA give some credence to the delusional thought of the Rainbow Family members views on "the Man".

What both sides of zealots don't realize is that the bible thumpers that knock on your door to spread the word and ask for money are the same as the hippie-tree huggers that knock on your door to spread the word and and ask for money

...they just smell alittle different!
"Forever indebt to your priceless advice" -KC
DirtyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006   #10
Eagle County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
I heard from a pretty reasonable source that RF people were pissing on produce at the grocery store in front of everyone so that it would be thrown out, and they could loot the dumpsters, rinse it off. Also, a friend's dad's left his work truck when repairing phone lines in the area to have RF folks looting it when he returned. A family friend of the same local has a home in the area and went out of town. When she came back, there were RF people who broke in and were living in her house, wearing her clothes, and so on. (Can you say "make my day law"??) Just don't want anyone to feel too bad about the RF as it seems that from the locals I talked to, many of them were not peace loving friendly hippies, but were there more to terrorize the locals, loot, and steal.

WhiteLightning is offline   Reply With Quote