Old 02-16-2011   #1
Arlington, Virginia
Kayaking as an Alternative Therapy

Hi all, I'm pretty new around here, but I joined because of a recent article I read about Brad Ludden. I do some work with Lexus Magazine, and they recently featured him in an article about his camp for young cancer patients, called First Descents. It's an incredible story, for an incredible cause. I thought you guys would really like it. I don't know much about Ludden, but he really inspired me with his efforts.

When there's nothing left to burn, you have to set yourself on fire.
LexusChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011   #2
Snowmass Village, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
FD is a sweet organization for folks with cancer, but there are countless other programs for folks with many other diseases, disabilities or differences.
check out
Telluride Adaptive Sports Program - Enriching the lives of people with disabilities by providing therapeutic recreational opportunities that encourage personal growth!

BOEC for instance does programs for folks with brain injuries involving cycling, rock climbing, rafting.

Telluride's program did a week long backcountry trip in AK last year.

check out some of that stuff, and I know there are countless other organizations cut from the same cloth!

Oh man, I cannot wait to get in my boat.

ItsMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011   #3
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995

Thanks for getting the word out about First Descents in your magazine.

The MountainBuzz community has supported First Descents for years and we've been proud to have Brad among our ranks. Any time FD wants to run banner ads to promote their activities or put up posts with a "sticky" with a to get the word out about fundraisers or other events, we happily oblige as a community service. If you look on the Partner's Page, you'll find a link to the FD website along with a number of other non-profit organizations we support.

And here's a shout out to all the Buzzards that rocked the Vertical Challenge last year!

Looking forward to another good year with FD,

Andy H.
Mountain Buzz Partnership Director
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011   #4
Arlington, Virginia
Cool, thanks for the links guys!! I'm definitely going to check them out. There's a brief video attached to the article, did you get a chance to watch it?
When there's nothing left to burn, you have to set yourself on fire.
LexusChic is offline   Reply With Quote