Old 10-26-2006   #1
Iraq war costs

I read a reliable source that said Iraq war costs, if you add all the indirect costs, is essentially $1+ trillion. Wow.

That's ~$4000 for every person in the US. And ~$50,000 for every person in Iraq!

The $1 trillion not only includes the $200 billion spent every year in direct costs, but also many indirect costs, like lots of disability for the wounded, wear and tear on military equipment, higher enlistment bonuses to keep soldiers in the army, etc.

Man, what good things could we have done with that money!

stof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006   #2
Golden, Colorado
I heard some figures yesterday and my question is where does all that money go? It sure isn't going to our soldiers. I could understand huge amounts being spent during a "Shock and Awe" campaign but where is it going now? Someone must be getting rich of this and while I supported going into Iraq (the world can't stand by while a nation's leader defies UN resolution after UN resolution that were intended to make him comply with the conditions of his surrender at the end of the gulf war) this is starting to stink. Well, I shouldn't say "starting".

blutzski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006   #3
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
I am sure the reliable source forgot to mention that those costs become revenues somewhere. Like in the factory where the Army's Humvee's are made. And that money pays the workers (blue and white collar) at Humvee, who spend their money on other consumer items, which improves the economy, and the wheels of commerce keep driving. So,...there is another side to that coin, those costs are not sunk costs (like welfare and other social programs). WWII got the US out of the depression. BYTW, did anyone notice the stock market, or the decline in the deficit, etc.?
CGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006   #4

are you kidding me? go tell the thousands of parents who lost their kids yeah i know your son is dead, but hey the stockmarket sure is doing great!

i understand your point, but it's crass (at best) to suggest that spending lots of money on any war is a good thing b/c it stimulates the economy.
matobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006   #5
Denver, Colorado
That is not the point that I am making. The statement posed was:

Man, what good things could we have done with that money!
I am saying that there is a flip side to this. And of course the success of the stock market can never replace a family's loss. But your point is well taken. IMO, the only real cost of war is the loss of our troops.
Old 10-26-2006   #6
Fort Collins/GWS, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995

There is no flip side to this war or any other.

America needs to rethink its economic paradigm.
Its starts with you. Erase everything in your mind.
Nothing you have learned is real, cancel history, stop hatred, do drugs, suffer, see the world, perfectionism is a malignant force.

Economists need to learn to subtract.

Welcome to the most corrupt government we have ever seen on our soil.
The question is what are we going to do about it. Eat the pigs, flush the toilet, wake up and eat shit, huck hard motherfuckers, if we don't change shit fast we can say goodbye to the world as know it. FOR REAL.

No more melts, no more raging rivers, no more waterfalls.
Lotsa big dams coming our way.

The more we sit on our asses the more of our loved ones that die.
My couzin is in Iraq now, he is counting on me to end this stupid war.
Our troops are counting on us to call bullshit.

Vote Nov 7th. Change your conservative friend's mind. Give money to the causes. make a film, see a film, express something for god sakes about this fucked system.
adrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006   #7
just a small anti-bush critique -

in the start of the war, remember our instructions:

don't worry, don't do anything abnormal (like conserve gas) - don't do anything...keep shopping to keep the economy going. They are trying to ruin our economy (nothing about our foreign presence in their holy land, or support of dictators). so we must keep shopping, to keep the economy strong. and by all means, if you don't support the war, you must be anti-american.

guess we've gone full circle here. - hopefully we've learned some lessons about checks and balances, and balancing blind faith in our leaders with questioning the answers..
Steve Kahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006   #8
Denver, Colorado
I don't have a problem with the American economic paradigm, and I will be at the polls. And by the way, just because you don't like the paradigm, doesn't mean that history, economics, political theory, etc are lies. Its fine that you hate Bush, and the current administration, and by all means, get out there and voice your opinion at the polls. But don't fool yourself; you are the one that is ignorant of alot of things. And by the way, what does FUH2 mean? I sure hope that it doesn't mean what I think it does.
Old 10-26-2006   #9
Golden, Colorado
Adrock, I admire your ideals, but if you want to sway any conservatives you'll have to quit with the utopian liberal bullshit. Until you "nothing good comes for war" people can admit that there was, in fact, a positive flipside to the Civil War and the Revolutionary War no conservatives are going to listen to you.
blutzski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006   #10
well, since i'm not completing any work today anyways...

i'll try to explain my take on adrock's diatribe -

1) main point - of course one can look at all aspects of any situation, but these points are small in consideration of the larger issues of loss of lives (as many above have agreed to).

2) it is not a far stretch to imply that the purpose of the war may be at least in part economic - (securing oil access, american corporate booms)

3) people should rise up to fight these wicked forces

4) the current admin seems to reek of coruption and no-accountability. IMO, the whole bush doctrine of pre-emptive war, go it alone, with or against us, anti-treaty, anti-UN, anti-ally, non-caring attitude about other nations foreign policy and disrespect of others, and a black and white/simplistic view of the world has contributed to blackballing the US and having the rest of the world hate us (60%+ recent poll in iraq, etc.) - this shit matters these days, especially when countries like the US are creating backpack nuclear bombs.

and finally 5) if we don't fix it, we're in for a bunch more crap.

how'd i do ad?

Steve Kahn is offline   Reply With Quote