Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Other Chatter > The Eddy

Old 10-15-2007   #1
I'm tired of the Bible Belt...where should I move??

Hello all,
Everyplace I've lived in my life has been a compromise. I'm soon coming to a point in life where I can open up and look anywhere I want to. I've lived in the SE which I love, but I'm tired of the Bible Belt. I'm tired of compromising on where I live. I love Asheville, but I want to open myself and family up to other areas of the country. Specifically, Colorado, California, Oregon, and Washington. Help!! Give me the names of cities that are the Asheville of Oregon, etc. I have a family so schools need to be good. I love boating, snowboarding, the outdoors period. I am a liberal.
Any ideas are welcomed.

bsjefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007   #2
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Utah!!!!! If you can handle the Baptist Fundamentalists, you're ready for the Mormons!

Just kidding. There are lots of great places to settle out West and folks here will give you good info. The challanges will be buying a home in that mountain paradise & finding a place where you can live the lifestyle you want and still support the family - if you can telecommute all the better for making the dream come true. Wherever you go, please take into mind the development pressures on the place you decide on and ask yourself what it'll be like in 20 years. Colorado's Front Range population is expected to increase 50% in the next 3 decades so it'll be (even more) like LA sandwiched between the Rockie and the Great Plains.

Good luck with the move,

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007   #3
Self-Aggrandizing jackass
The Ranch, Colorado
Paddling Since: 04
If I could afford to live anywhere on either coast, I would give serious consideration to Boulder Colorado. Honestly one of the best cities in the country. I'm not really a liberal, although Boulder is definitely a liberal city. When I go to Boulder, it's as if I can feel my blood pressure go down just a tad. It's laid back, beautiful, near great outdoors recreation.

Boulder. Check it out.
"self-aggrandizing jackass" - it says it right on the label
heliodorus04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007   #4
pnw, Washington
If you are tired of the bible belt then stay away from the springs. We are overrun with it.

I really like northern california for its attitude. I would think southern oregon would be great as well but I had heard that it had a mini-belt.
"Yesterday I was clever and tried to change the world. Today I am wise and try to change myself." -Rumi
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007   #5
Yea, Boulder is pretty cool. The community works well. But, housing prices are real high. I'm surprised Boulder High school doesn't have a good reputation--lots of spoiled kids I hear.

I agree about Oregon. Generally liberal, gorgeous, not crowded, educated, what's not to like? Oregon is so liberal, I doubt their bible belt compares with the South. And Metropolitian Oregon is similar to Boulder?
basil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007   #6
pnw, Washington
yea, i think oregon is great but just had a couple of people who live there talk about several of the southern towns being very conservative. no personal experience.
"Yesterday I was clever and tried to change the world. Today I am wise and try to change myself." -Rumi
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007   #7
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
I've heard that too, gh, and had some experieces with both the BB and the west. I'd say Oregon is not so much conservative in the bible-belt don't drink, don't smoke sense, but more in the logging, ranching, don't take my gun, Wild-Wild west kinda way.
I gotta say I'd pick the latter over the former any day, but that's just me. Even though they want all the water, at least you can sit down over a beer with the western conservative and have a conversation/ argument about it...

Sorry, not much info on where to go, but hopefully something a little relevant.
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007   #8
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995

Come on out to Boulder for a weekend and check it out. I will show you the good and bad. I been in this county for about 20 years and in Boulder city limits for the last 9 but was raised in the hollows of Appalachia.

My kid loves her school and the principle is of the highest integrity. He took my kid flat water kayaking a few weeks back.

Allot people knock this town and much of it is deserved but it is only minutes from Skiing, Rock Climbing, Class II to V WW, mountain biking access is getting better all the time, restaurants and bars all over hell. My daughter averages about 15 to 20 days a year at the local ski hill. CU has all kinds of kids programs in the summer as well. There literally is not enough time in life to take part in all the sports that happen in this town.

Close to 50,000 acres of of city and county owned open space and parks and this does not include the National Forest that borders it. The city is virtually cut off from the rest of the front range by open space.

I am a liberal and my neighbor is a die hard conservative Lutheran but we drink booze and watch football together all the time and don't talk politics.

The bike path infrastructure rivals any city in the nation. You can go almost anywhere in the town on a path and if you have to get on the road there are wide designated lanes for bikes.

The housing market is tough but there are more available properties now than I have seen so you are looking at a good time.

It's about 30 minute drive to Downtown Denver and there are city buses that go strait down if your into mass transit.

There are no doubt some fruit cakes in this town but they are easy to ignore.

There are other towns close by that rock as well such as Louisville and Lyons.

PM me if you have any specific questions and I can fill you in on all the cons

possumturd is offline   Reply With Quote