Skiing & Boarding
Want Ads
Industry Jobs
Place an Ad

Old 05-10-2012   #1

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
I'm going camping tomorrow night.

Or so I was just told by my 10 year-old daughter. We had some stuff stored in the motorhome over the winter, so we drove over to the storage yard to grab a few items, and leave a few that we won't need for another month.

Her: "Dad, we should go camping soon!"

Me: "Well, honey, I'd love to, too, but when do you want to go?"

Her: "Oh, this weekend would be good."

Me: "Honey, your dad isn't the kind of person who needs a ton of time to get ready, but I need more than a day to get ready for the first trip of the season."

Her: "Oh, it's OK, I'll have everything packed by bedtime."

So...I guess it is possible to get everything ready on a moment's notice when one really wants to go.
Tent and food are packed. Need to grab the chairs and stove out of the camper and we're off after work tomorrow.

I'm really proud of her for taking ownership and figuring out all the details, and not just begging Mom and Dad to take her camping.

Old 05-10-2012   #2

Centennial, Colorado
Cool man, sounds fun, have a good time!

Old 05-11-2012   #3

Helena, Montana
Paddling Since: 96
This makes me happy
Old 05-11-2012   #4

Kalispell, Montana
It makes me very happy, too!!

I guess we're raising her pretty right! Her little sister had a headache and went to bed early last night, so she packed her sissy's stuff, too.
Old 05-12-2012   #5

Kalispell, Montana
Well, that was truly awesome.

:root to Morgan Lee.

I have a friend who has daughters the same ages as our girls, and we were camped about 10 minutes from his house. He came out and the girls all roasted weenies and we sat around the campfire visiting and (they) giggled a lot and ate marshmallows. We walked down to the lake and all the girls got thoroughly wet, so we came back to the fire to warm back up and eat more marshmallows.

About 10pm, Morgan busted out the hobo banana splits. Take a yellow-brown banana, and split it lengthwise with the peel on--don't cut through the bottom. Fill it with marshmallows and chocolate chips and wrap it in tinfoil and stuff it down in the fire.

:nom:

They left about 10:45pm and we all went to bed. Gorgeous clear sky and the stars were out.

Morgan and I woke up about 6:15 and we stoked the fire and sat around and visited for a couple of hours before 8yo Kenzie woke up. Awesome quality time with her. I'm so proud. She grabbed my lexan French press, but didn't realize we couldn't boil water in it, so we improvised and heated her cocoa and my coffee water in pop cans.

We cooked (and burned!) pancakes over the open fire. They tasted great!

I'm super proud of her, and I had an amazing quality first camping trip of the year with both of my girls thanks to my oldest.