Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Other Chatter > The Eddy

Old 05-18-2016   #1
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
How to Stop the Windows 10 Automatic Upgrade

Maybe it's just me being a crotchety old skeptic about whatever Microsoft decides to serve up to us. Some other folks may have noticed MS has decided that you're going to be upgraded to 10 on their schedule rather than when or whether you want. Frankly I gotta wonder if my ancient* desktop is just going to slow to a crawl with the new OS and want a little more time to figure that out. It may be better to just let the machine sunset with the recent upgrade to 7.

So I just found out my machine was scheduled to begin an unwanted upgrade in 14 minutes and counting.

Fortunately there's an app for that:

Never 10 is an easy to use utility which gives users control over whether their Windows 7 or 8.1 will upgrade itself to Windows 10.

I just ran it and found 4GB of update files had been downloaded.

About it:
First up, itís written by veteran developer Steve Gibson, the man behind SpinRite, ShieldsUp! and assorted early Windows freeware, and someone who knows what heís doing. If you need more reassurance, the 81KB download size tells you thereís no adware here, no extra payload.
You can also re-enable the Windows 10 upgrade if you decide you want it and still get it for free before 7/29/16 when they'll start actually charging for it.

*apparently Jesse's got an even older machine than I do. I can't believe Mr. GQ isn't working off a Surface or whatever the most newfangled thingy is these days...

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016   #2
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
I saw quite a few people on FB who woke up to W10 on their computers today. Thanks to all for sharing to help the rest of us avoid this calamity

Sent from my SM-G930V using Mountain Buzz mobile app

I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016   #3
Newnan, Georgia
Paddling Since: 1972
I noticed my lap top said updating window 10 files don't turn off your computer or something to that effect yesterday 5/20/2016. I yanked the power supply cord out and popped the battery out as well. I lost the word file document I had spend 20 minutes working on but saved my lap top from an unwanted, unwelcomed and unasked for "upgrade". I did upgrade the Window 8 laptop because 8 is such a piece of garbage but don't want 10 on my Windows 7 unit.
abracadabra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016   #4
Renaissance Redneck
Huson, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
I read a little further this morning. Never 10 is the easiest solution. It can be done manually but Never 10 is much simpler. It took about 2 minutes to download, install and activate.
"You're gonna be doin a lot of doobie rolling when youre LIVIN IN A VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER"
LSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016   #5
Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1990
I put "Never10" and it took a couple of minutes to clean, but I keep getting pop-ups saying it is preparing to install. Anyone else having this problem?
GC Guide is offline   Reply With Quote