Old 09-05-2009   #1
Fort Collins, Colorado
How much is it worth?

I bought this setup a few weeks ago off craigslist. I think I got a great deal, but would love other input.
Used red perception overflow in good condition, new perception harmony spray skirt, new perception sea kayak paddle (guy had a sea kayak paddle for some reason), new MTI Adventure PFD, used helmet. The spray skirt and paddle still had price tags on - skirt was $95 and paddle was $100. PFD had no price tag but still had the manufacturers info tags. How much do you think it's worth? (I'll reply later with what I paid for it )

Cmasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009   #2
pnw, Washington
Not worth anything to me personally but enjoy.

"Yesterday I was clever and tried to change the world. Today I am wise and try to change myself." -Rumi
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009   #3
Fort Collins, Colorado
Damn... so a complete kayak package with mostly new accessories is worth nothing? I guess I got ripped off.

Can anyone who knows what they're talking about please give an estimate?
Cmasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009   #4
Land of Lovin, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Cmasha, it's the internet, calm down.

Considering the paddle does not match the set up and MTI is not a popular brand I'd say 300 for the package would be a good price.
Jensjustduckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009   #5
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
The paddle is the puzzler here, because if you're going to take the Overflow on the river it's not a safe / good option. If you only mean to take the Overflow on flatwater and rivers, the paddle is OK but the boat is heavy and won't track well.

Let's assume that you want this for whitewater, since you're on this site. I'll also assume that the Perception skirt is neoprene & suitable for WW. So I'd say the paddle isn't worth much (as a WW paddling setup), so you're going to have to buy a WW paddle at some point. The Overflow is still sought after by bigger paddlers for multiday overnighters like the Selway or Middle Fork, so not necessarily worthless. Boat is about $150 IMO, used helmet=$20 (depending on model), skirt = $50 (it may be new, but I'm guessing it's not a recent year). So I'd say the setup is worth about $200 - $225 for this time of year.

Check the going rate on your model of sea kayak paddle on eBay and sell it as soon as you can to get a WW paddle. If you're taking the boat on the Poudre, you'll need durable, large blades for rolling and a shorter shaft for manuvering.

I think what GH meant to say was: what we think is probably irrelavant- as long as you're fired up about getting into the sport.
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote