Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Other Chatter > The Eddy

Old 03-19-2005   #1
Preacher of the Profit Paddling Since: 1990
How many kayakers out there do Yoga?

I went to Yoga for the first time last night with my wife. She's been at it for the last 8 months and asking me to go for 8 months. So, I had the day off and and went. Awesome workout I was shaking and some of the group look like they should be in the circus. When I left I felt like I was 4 inches taller. Today I can feel every fiber in my hamstings, it feels like I spent the climbing a fourteener.

We sell a Yoga for Paddlers DVD, and at first I was not 100% sold. But, after going in for a class I'm there. One of the instructors in the class said that Yoga was partly developed for long periods of pray and meditation. You know sitting for long periods. That really sunk home. Yoga and kayaking might just be the perfect blend.

Anyone out there find the long term bennefits made a real difference in their boating?

I love to dance, but who needs the music- It throws me off.
Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005   #2
Eagle, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to matts Send a message via MSN to matts Send a message via Yahoo to matts Send a message via Skype™ to matts
i started doing yoga when i played college ball. i swear to this day that yoga is why i am walking today and didn't break my back worse than i did 3 years ago. whenever i slack off, my body definitely lets me know. i haven't checked out the paddling dvd, but it can't be bad...

right on don, you're hooked now!

Alpine Arms
Team Dagger
matts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005   #3
I've been doing yoga for about 10 years. Started as a way to rehab my back and now it's part of my life. My body also tells me when I slack off.

While its great to see people who are really flexible and strong hold a difficult pose, don't get caught up with emulating them. Yoga is intensely personal and its better to listen to your own body and work the pose with your own needs - the more yoga you do the more you'll discover.

Not sure what type of Yoga you're doing but, I'd recommend Astanga Yoga - it's a little more athletic than other types; i.e. not as much sitting and more of a workout.
matobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005   #4
River Gypsy
Swannanoa, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 1986
more info on DVD

If you want more info on the "Yoga for Paddlers" DVD, you can check out our website:

feel free to drop us an email if there's more you want to know.

it sounds like Don has them if you're in his area, or you can order through our site-

Leland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005   #5
Seattle, Washington
I'm interested in trying this out to improve flexibility for boating. We have a yoga instructor in once a week where I work and she charges about $9.00 for an hour. Is that a deal compared to other places or about right on? I have no problem buying expensive gear or beer, but when it comes to this stuff, I'm cheap. Thanks. -Dave
Yonder_River is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005   #6
That's a good price.
ebaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005   #7
steamboat, Colorado

will you be giving any yoga clinics this season?

latenightjoneser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005   #8
I started doing yoga last fall after I pulled a muscle in my back lifting a wall at work last summer. It has made a world of difference in how I feel during and after work and paddling. I used to get the worst knots in my back and would get stiff quick in my playboat, a buddy I boat with's wife is a yoga instructor and he turned me on to a couple of stretches. Next thing I knew I was visiting her studio (she designed a class that focused on the kayaking muscles, very cool chick). Being a carpenter and a paddler I thought back pain was going to be a reality I was just going to have to deal with. Yoga has made life alot more enjoyable. It has also helped my playboating, the torso windup and flexability you need to throw ends is definetly enhanced by being limber.
demone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005   #9
Don, or anyone else:

Can you refer me to a Yoga class?

Added: I'm in Denver, Wash Park/DU.
cstork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005   #10
$9 for an hour is ballpark. however an hour seems kind of short for a yoga class. i've never been to one in over 9 years that's been only one hour.

the studio i went to was $10 or $12 depending if you had a 5 punch card for classes that were around 2 hours.

csstork - what's your location?

in boulder i'd recommend the yoga workshop

matobs is offline   Reply With Quote