Old 03-28-2006   #11
Metro Area, Colorado
Another perspective: 12K towards the principal is 12K you wouldn't have in 5 years if you rented. Also, although it is not a guaruntee the value of the home will go up in 5 years, if you research the area well and buy smart, you can be pretty sure the property will appreciate over 5 years. Any appreciation you can just tack onto the 12K already vested. The general rule is 2 years. If you are going to move in 2 years or less: rent. If it is longer, USUALLY it is better to buy.

just my $.02

cecil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006   #12
Abron Cabron
Santa Fe, Nuevo Mexico
Paddling Since: 1999
@ albaturkey

I will leave all the financial thoughts to those of you who seem to know what you're talking about. not that I have the $$, but my vote would go with buying land, (hopefully w/ a house, and a well) (by a river, to really complete the fantasy)...
regarding ABQ, i think buying is a good plan. there are parts of the city you probably don't want to live in. In general, considering I live in canoncito, 70 miles upstream,(i.e. take this w/ a grain of salt, cuz i don't live there) i would say you would wasnt to buy in the NE heights, anywhere close to the sandias, where you can hike, or bike up into the hills, and there is bouldering around there as well. I am pretty sure that is the 'nice' as in expensive part of town. other nice areas are in the nob hill district off of central (nice, lots of trees, and closer to UNM and the bars) and some other areas
near the university are mixes of nice houses and student ghetto.... i think (as a generalization) i would avoid the south valley. Rio Rancho is one of the fastest growing communities in the country, partially because of the Intel plant, but it is pretty generic. (like the 'burbs in edward scissorhands, or parts of denver.) Corrales, Placitas, or towards edgewood are all peripheral to ABQ, that are still rural. there is tons of quality sport climbing in placitas, incredible and partially sketchy trad clinbing in the sandias, bouldering all around, and 1-3 hrs to Jemez, cochiti mesa, diablo canyon, and whiterock for climbing. the Rio Grande is flatwater thru ABQ, and it is @ 2hrs20 to the racecourse and 3hrs to the LTbox. about the same to ski SF or Taos. @ 4 hrs to Wolf creek from ABQ. ......and there is an adjustable playhole in a diversion ditch off the rio somewhere in ABQ, built by locals, which may have a name in the Hepatitis series Like the on the Platte. (just kidding. I would probably be there too, rather than drive three hours to play every day.)
ABQ is not too exciting but it is a lot better than a swift kick in the head, or going to school in Roswell, like i do. or Lubbock, or las cruces, or any where further from the mountains....
stop by Santa Fe Rafting if you're looking for people to paddle with, or whatever...... good luck...and welcome to the 'Land of Entrapment' aka the dry patch south of the mountains, that had water/snow once.... a year ago....

abron is offline   Reply With Quote