Old 12-19-2013   #21
Glass carboy horror stories:
Broken Glass Carboy Horror Stories Compendium - Home Brew Forums

robanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013   #22
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
OMG thats scary

I started my first batch this week, and made sure to purchase one of these - Buying Choices: The Brew Hauler Carboy Carrier
nothing is a guarantee though, also have it stored on seveal layers of carpet.

Kendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013   #23
Tigard, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
It looks like a few of those are from putting hot wort into the carboy then chilling it in cold water. Hot on the inside, cold on the outside is a bad combo.
TriBri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013   #24
Denver, Colorado
One question- instead of using dextrose- corn sugar, could I use brown sugar- sucrose dissolved in warm water for priming???
I understand the sucrose molecule is larger so I would use less by volume and go by weight, but it seems to me that brown sugar would still be viable and add flavor, if dissolved it would be broken down for the yeast to react with it creating carbonation and ofcourse increasing the ABV. I have noticed the cost per lb on dextrose is way higher.
Old 12-22-2013   #25
Bayfield, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980

You should prime with dry malt extract that approximately matches the color of your beer. This results in a much better/creamier head. The bubbles are much smaller. Why? I dont have a clue. You would think that sugar is sugar but apparently not. Try it. You will notice a difference.
jamesthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013   #26
Silverthorne, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
I am intrigued by the use of the DME for a priming sugar replacement. Are you using equal measurements (1 cup dextrose = 1 DME) or are the measurements different? I ask because I have an India Dark Ale about to go into its secondary and will be prepping the bottling equipment in a week.
DoubleYouEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014   #27
Bayfield, Colorado
Dissolve 1 1/4 cups DME in two cups water. Bring to boil. Let cool to fermentation temp. (put pan in ice H2O makes it mucho faster) Prime as normal. Make sure you stir the bottling bucket to fully disperse the priming solution. For a dark IPA probably use amber DME unless its really black like a porter. Then you could use dark. Also, I have learned the hard way(bottle bombs) to make sure your specific gravity is bottomed out. Wait another week. It hurts nothing. Williams Brewing sells a bottling hydrometer that really helps. Careful though as it is extremely fragile. Above amount good for 5+ gallons.
Old 01-04-2014   #28
Denver, Colorado
Hi James,
Im not sure I understand what your saying by - make sure your specific gravity is bottomed out? i do have hydrometer to test the sugar gravity but not following?
I ended up usung the dextrose in my first batch but really like your input on the DME, I am getting ready to start a new batch and am interested.Perhaps you can enlighten me-please.thx
Old 01-05-2014   #29
Bayfield, Colorado
Yeast if a living creature that eats sugar and pisses alcohol. As fermentation progresses the specific gravity of the wort drops because alcohol weighs less than sugar. Yeast eventually eats all the sugar that it can and drops to the bottom of the container. The last part of this process takes a long time to complete especially on really strong beers. If you bottle before its completely done the yeast will eventually eat not only your priming sugar but also the sugar left over from your initial fermentation. The result of this is over carbonation and even exploding bottles if its bad enough. This can take months to happen and it really sucks. It is not that likely with lower gravity beers but if you get into stronger beers it will happen. Take hydrometer readings after 2-3 weeks, wait at least 4 or 5 days and take another reading. Do not bottle until the hydrometer readings have stopped dropping. With normal hydrometer graduations (the lines on the glass tube) it is very difficult to detect minor changes in gravity thus the recommendation in the above post for a bottling hydrometer with larger graduations. As you can probably tell I'm sorta into this stuff. Happy brewing. jt
Old 01-05-2014   #30
West Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
Flocculate on the rio

Kendo, I encourage you to continue the wonderful art/science of brewing your own beer. It is a beautiful adventure like river running. You embark on a journey that takes you to so many places with learning and enhancing your brewing methods. You have a lot of good information shared on this thread and I believe you should experiment the hell out of 'em. That's what I did. I'm continuing to learn. When you are on the river and you have a righteous vessel of brew you'll soon discover the kayaks, rafts, cats, and drift boats slowly make their way toward you. Then soon, people will want to taste your brew and you'll be happy to have them try the labors of your love. It's like watching your pitched yeast flocculate when those river runners quench their dry throats. One big orgy of boats floating down the river celebrating your brew amigo. By then life will be good. Your only problem is to decide whether to announce last call or your 2.5 gallon corny keg ran dry.

TapStyx is offline   Reply With Quote