Industry Jobs
Place an Ad

Discussion Closed

Old 04-08-2012   #1
swimming

Vancouver, Washington
Paddling Since: 1990
Hello From Washington

Just wanted to say hello and introduce myself. I just found the forum and I have spent a few days browsing and was stoked to find an active community of river rats. I found the site while researching reflipping techniques as I have a new cat and she is heavy when loaded. My biggest fear of flipping is getting her righted again as I often do solo trips.

I have been rafting since 1990 and have also been a passenger with a couple of commercial trips. Along with rafting, I am a semi professional snowboarder and back country splitboarding instructor/guide. I am also an admin of the largest snowboarding forum on the net. I love backpacking and also hold a private pilot`s license with an instrument rating. As my friends tell me, I just have too many hobbies to have time for a job which happens to be a local tanker truck driver. Still waiting for that winning Powerball ticket though.

I have 2 rigs that I currently use. One is a solo 10 foot cat with full rocker tubes and I just sold my old faithful 14 foot Momentum bucket boat last year and bought a 14 foot cat with 26 inch Odyssey tubes and a custom built frame.

My "go-to" river of choice is the Deschutes in central Oregon and I run both the Warm Springs to Sandy Beach and the Buck Hollow to Heritage Landing sections. Early season, I run the John Day in Eastern Oregon and the Klickitat in southwest Washington. Hoping to get on the lower Salmon and the Snake this fall as well as the Rogue River in southwest Oregon.

I have taken a couple of Main Salmon trips and 2 trips in the Grand Canyon as a paying passenger with a commercial operator. I would love to run the Salmon sometime and while running the Grand Canyon is a dream, I want to gain a few more years of experience before trying that one on my own in a small cat. Other rivers I am very interested in the Colorado Plateau are the Green, Colorado, Gunnison, Delores, and San Juan. I am a big fan of that area and do a lot of back packing in that region.

I am not much of a hairball guy and prefer nice pool and drop rivers with plenty of class 3 and 4. I prefer bigger water with roller coaster action to technical rock gardens. Definitely into the multi day drips as nothing beats river camping in my opinion.

Definitely always up to find other people and groups to float with in my neck of the woods. I also love talking about life on the river and drooling over cool new gear. I look forward to being a member of the community.

Here are some shots of my toys:

My 10 footer on the Klickitat River in Washington

Here is the new baby on the Deschutes

Here she is at her best

Old 04-08-2012   #2

The Big Smoke, Washington
Welcome, and nice set up.Pretty new here myself, and it's been a great place to learn a heap.

...Love the Klick myself, though I generally go later in the season when the Steelhead show up.

Old 04-08-2012   #3

Helena, Montana
Paddling Since: 96
Welcome.
This place has got me on a few trips I would not have been on otherwise & allowed me to meet some great people - so let me return the favor. I have a fall main salmon permit & you'd be welcome on it. Send me a pm if interested.

Old 04-08-2012   #4

Riverdale, Utah
Paddling Since: 1977
Howdy Snowolf,
I would like to get on some of those OR runs; still hoping to get out there sometime this spring.
I don't think I've seen a cat that small; how does it handle? I am a kayaker and don't know much about them, although I've seen the medium cats handling the upper Wind in impressive style.
I've snowboarded in the Wasatch backcountry since 1984; not so much this season though. Somehow I never got a splitboard; many years Verting on the Mt Superior steeps in Alta. Still might get into splitboarding... Paddling has become my primary sport, which I never thought would happen (used to be rock climbing and snowboarding; didn't paddle for 20 years after a bad swim in 85).
I've mainly done day trips in UT, ID, Jackson WY and Hood River/Portland area. Would love to do some more multi-days. Hoping to get up to the Lochsa this spring.
Constructeur, that is a beautiful fish, I have seen them swim under me while paddling the East Fork Lewis. I always intend to take up fishing again, when paddling on awesome fishing rivers, but haven't bit the bullet for the out of state license fees and gear yet. Would like to do the upper Klick; we always notice the Hood River locals logging huge vert days up there during the Vertical Challenge .
Cheers,
Bill

Old 04-08-2012   #5
swimming

Vancouver, Washington
Paddling Since: 1990
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMedic View Post
Welcome.
This place has got me on a few trips I would not have been on otherwise & allowed me to meet some great people - so let me return the favor. I have a fall main salmon permit & you'd be welcome on it. Send me a pm if interested.

Thanks a ton for the offer MM. I am very intrigued and will PM you about this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasatchbill View Post
Howdy Snowolf,
I don't think I've seen a cat that small; how does it handle?

I've snowboarded in the Wasatch backcountry since 1984; not so much this season though. Somehow I never got a splitboard; many years Verting on the Mt Superior steeps in Alta. Still might get into splitboarding.

Constructeur, that is a beautiful fish,
It actually handles really well and when loaded down it is amazingly stable. When I run the Deschutes solo, I take it on my multi day trips. It handles the class 3 easily and with good boatmanship, the class 4,

I am actually developing an introduction to back country splitboarding up here and will be operating on Mt. St. Helens. I worked as a snowboard instructor at Mt. Hood Meadows for the last 7 years and am now working foe a private company as a coach. This project is something my new boss is stoked about. The biggest challenges for me this summer will be getting the Wilderness First Responder course completed for the USFS permits.

Always looking for back country partners and the Wasatch is a place I so want to splitboard. I hiked Mt. Timpanogos one summer and have wanted to get back in there for some shredding. I have both the US and Canadian avalanche cert 1. Your continental snow spooks me.

An yeah, that is a gorgeous fish!

Here is the little cat all loaded up for 4 day trip on the Deschutes:

I can actually have a pretty well equipt camp on this little guy:

Old 04-29-2012   #6

Mesa, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
welcome

Welcome to the buzz snowolf. Do you have anymore cool pics of your little raft? You should post them to the gallery.
Hey do you know the difference between a snowboard instructor and a beginner?
About three days.
Peace bro, I'm just joking with you. You are welcome here. We always like someone who can stir up a hornets nest.

Old 04-29-2012   #7

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
The dudes a tool end of story

Old 04-29-2012   #8
I'm wrong 50% of the time

RFV, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1977
I would have PM'd this to snowolf, but he does not accept PM's.

Wanted to remark on some "quotes" posted in the old thread.

Semi-Professional Snowboarder is an oxymoron. You are either a pro or an amateur. One is paid to do the sport full time and the other is aspiring to be a pro, works hard at the sport and gets flow from sponsors. Semi-pro is is vocabulary used when a person "thinks" that they are good enough to be a professional, yet will never get there due to attitude or lack of skills.

You also said you run the biggest snowboard forum on the net. Unless that is TGR, Snowboardmag.com or snowboardforum.com, your fibbing.

Not trying to roast you to hard, but come on. As for rules on this board, there aren't many. The users get to make them up as we go. Basically, don't be a tool and you'll fit in just fine.

mike and randy have been some of the biggest fools on the board and are also some of the most lovable due to the antics. Keep posting, be relevant and go boating.

Flame on...

Old 04-30-2012   #9

BV, CO
Paddling Since: 96
The difference in tone of these posts compared to the over the top anger this weekend is really striking.

Old 04-30-2012   #10

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Thats cause nobody is getting their dick stomped on by replacing their picture of a cool kayak run with a snowboarder posing with a cheesy grin

Discussion Closed