Old 12-21-2008   #21
castle rock, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
The people who do crimes with guns are still going to carry guns and use them the way they want. So that is why when some punk trys to harm me or anyone else, yes death by a gun and mark it on your stats. Yes gun control to a point is good. Nobody wants crazys buying guns but making laws were you cant have anything is more dangerous than letting people own them. Look at all the places were people cant have guns (around the world) crime is very high.
As far as a disservice by owning a gun that is crazy talk....well it depends on who owns them. I have 3 safes full of very fine and fun guns. Then I have my home gun locked in a hand gun safe next to my bed that will take me 3 sec. to open. Really people who dont lock there guns up are yes at a bigger risk but what you are saying does not pertain to all us "smart" gun owners who out number the "dum" owners.

dograft83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008   #22
Kayak/SUP Instructor
The High Ground, Colorado
You'll never disarm the people. Free men don't go hat in hand asking the government for their rights. My rights aren't granted to me by other men.

Merry Christmas

"Let us cross the river to the other side and rest beneath the shade of the trees." ~ Last words of Thomas Jonathan ''Stonewall' Jackson
Theophilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008   #23
, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Originally Posted by gh View Post
Kids dont have access to my guns or my house for that matter and my dogs dont have thumbs so they leave the guns alone. I do however believe that owning a gun is a serious responsibility and should not be taken lightly. I think statistics will tell you that autos are more deadly and are more harmful to the environment than guns but I dont see you going after them. I guess as in most things it boils down to personal choice. I chose to own guns and I am happy with my decision. If you choose not to have them then I support your decision.
Hey gh

Watch out for those dogs because in more than one case they have been know to shoot thier owner
Paw prints point to dog in shooting death of Baytown teacher | TOP STORIES | | News for Houston, Texas
one_elk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008   #24
Mesa, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1993
I gotta drop in on this. There are too many good points from across the spectrum on this thread. First, may I state that I own guns. I was raised by a police officer and have lived in a home with firearms for most my life. The stat about death by firearm increasing in homes with firearms makes a lot of sense. Do you think those numbers are increased by non-registered guns in homes of people with very little understanding of them? I surmise so....

I sure think we have more than enough government!

I agree with keeping them legal so that law abiding citizens have access to them too.

I'm for legalized pot too.

We live in a country where you have to study, practice, and pass a test to drive but they let anyone breed! I don't know about you but I'm afraid to swim in the gene pool!
Whether U Think U Can, or Think U Can't; U R Right!
scooby450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008   #25
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Yeti,can't defend you on this one .This is the f'ing politics and miscellaneous forum ,geez.

so your rights are granted to you by a non existent being ,I THOUGHT THIS WAS 2008.Society should be governed by the supernatural not concrete relations between people?
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008   #26
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
not for taking any body's guns ,but am for sensible regulations.Wayne La Pierre is a sniveling pussy who can't go through life without hiding behind his little guns.The NRA couldn't care less about public safety ,only maximizing gun industry profits at the expense of it.Less guns means less problems with them,there are plenty of countries with stronger gun laws and less violent crime,eg UK and Belize.That being said we couldn't get rid of guns even if we wanted to,they are too deeply embedded in our culture.the ''if guns were illegal then only criminals would have guns" rationale is kind of chicken and egg,if there weren't so many guns available less criminals would have them.A circular logic sets in ,even I kind of want a gun ,because people whose motives I fear and distrust[ not all gunnies} tend to have them and I am a go down swinging kind of a guy.Couldn't we go back to just duking it out
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008   #27
God Amongst Men
Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
no you guys are right, silly of me, i forgot that this was the Durango Whitewater Club/Durango Democrats message board now, and not the could I forget?
"Don't f$&@ing eddy out, just run it! Whaddya doin??" -LMyers
yetigonecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008   #28
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Yeti - you're still here? I thought you hated The Eddy?

But what do I know? I'm a namby pamby...
You can never step into the same river; for new waters are always flowing on to you. - Heraclitus of Ephesus
DurangoSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008   #29
Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Hey Wifey, you make a great point! The right to bear arms as it was intended is probably no more. The founding fathers definitely didn't write that shit to keep imaginary burglars out of our bedrooms. However, they also didn't spend much effort writing in the right to own guns to hunt with. It was a given at the time, and regardless what you think of hunting now in this golden age of turkey bacon and soy burgers, it does reflect that the intent was that Americans should be able to keep firearms in their homes.

Now I have to call you out on this:
"The truth is that owning a gun is a disservice to yourself, your community and your family." This has to be the most arrogant, asinine statement ever uttered by the wife of a man named Steve. I grew up around guns, not in a family of gun nuts, but in a poor Wyoming family where I learned quite early that guns meant food. My father didn't go get food stamps, he went out and killed his family a meal like a man. This is not wrong, and I dare you to challenge that. It is not a fact that my having a gun in my home increases my chance of experiencing violence. It is an opinion. It might be a fact that more guns = more violence in society, but I challenge you to argue for that without banning smoking, drinking, motorcycles, loud music, and titties for all the trouble those things cost.

You see, this is why I'm not a Democrat (though I vote for Dems and am an aid to a Democrat congressman... what can I say, my party just nominates garbage lately), because you have good ideas when kept in check, but most of you really just want to legislate the shit out of everything until everyone is nice and cozy and safe. The solution to social ills is not, I repeat, IS NOT banning everything related to those ills until they go away. It is education, family, and a system of social and self nurturing. Oh yeah, and time. Not everything will be perfect in your lifetime. Your great grandmother couldn't vote when she was young and it was illegal to marry someone of a different race in your parents (or maybe your) lifetime.

Oh, and in case you didn't catch the overarching point here, NOT EVERYTHING IN LIFE IS SAFE! Life is risky. It always has been. It's dangerous to run whitewater, dangerous to drink whiskey, and dangerous to have unprotected sex with strangers. But you know what, the freedom that I feel when I do those things is so worth it.
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008   #30
Aspen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
Fantastic response Randaddy. The second amendment had nothing to do with duck hunting or personal protection. The militia statement was about civilian ownership of firearms for military purposes. The founding fathers would probably be ok with civilian ownership of the latest FULL AUTO weapons, and contrary to popular belief one can own them with the proper background checks. The intent was to be able to oppose an oppressive gov't, which the British were during the Revolutionary war. Wether or not civilians could overthrow a future oppressive government is not the issue, it is the right of them to do so which has to be protected, and that is what the second ammendment does. It has not been pertinent in a military sense for 200+ years but the concept is no less valid than the 1st, 4th, or 5th amendments which were penned at the same time. If someone not choose to value all their rights, thats ok with me, just do not try to take mine away.

ZGjethro is offline   Reply With Quote