Old 12-21-2008   #11
God Amongst Men
Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
whatever bro, i dont see how my getting amped about boating is ANY worse that this nonsense.

i dont care if this is the "eddy" or not, this is a kayaking forum. its not a "political" forum. so why is there this political nonsense on here all the time? since Andy decided the buzz would be better if it was part of his "Forum World", then he should probably be able to create another forum where these losers can discuss politics until theyre blue in the face. until then, it doesnt belong anywhere NEAR a kayaking forum, and the fact that it's not only tolerated, but encouraged, is just a sign of how shitty this place really has become.

and i dont even need to bring up your personal attacks; ask around, i boat, and i boat frequently. if youre too cool to acknowledge it, then i cant help you.

"Don't f$&@ing eddy out, just run it! Whaddya doin??" -LMyers
yetigonecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008   #12
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I understand why you are complaining. However, I look at myself a little like Batman. The conservative gun-nut whack jobs, like organized crime in Gotham, have been plaguing this website over the last couple weeks, to only a weak response from what should be an overwhelming outraged majority. I'm not the hero that MountainBuzz wants right now, but I am the hero it needs.

Also, people do automatically take you a little less seriously when you have "yeah I ducky" written below your name.

Demosthenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008   #13
Durango, Colorado
Or a more sensible solution. How about we just stop selling ammo? That seems like it would solve the problem pretty quickly. It also wouldn't be against the second ammendment because ammo is not an arm. I'll write Ritter if you do. It also turns out that banning firearms is likely not against the constitution. It is only against the constitution if the federal government does it (The Second's Missing Half). If states have the political will power, they could very well solve our nation's gun problem to a large extent. It strikes me that the Second Ammendment represents the most costly reading mistake in human history.

Also interesting is the fact that guns don't make any sense for home defense, like the NRA and others have argued. A recent article in the American Journal of Epidemiology found that:

Results show that regardless of storage practice, type of gun, or number of firearms in the home, having a gun in the home was associated with an increased risk of firearm homicide and firearm suicide in the home.

Despite the fact that Charlton Heston made great movies, I believe his most lasting legacy is the damage he did to gun control and the lives that cost. Forget Planet of the Apes, remember that child who was just playing with daddy's shotgun...
Old 12-21-2008   #14
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
Yeti- are you one of those guys on a river trip who ONLY wants to talk abut all the cool boating they've done, how many rivers they've run, how many boats they have, and why they are better boaters than anyone else? Because ask yourself this, if it's day 3 of a multi-day and you don't know who the asshole is, it's probably you. There's no water, we have to talk about something.

WODS- The drug cartels in Mexico right now are using up millions of dollars in American resources in very large part because marijuana is illegal in the US. I do not own a gun and I don't really like them, but making them illegal will only take them away from the people who use and own them legally.

Besides, taking away the ammo is subverting the US Constitution- it's no different than Bush banning late-term abortion without a vote. It's no different than the religious right wanting to ban abortion but not firearms. We cannot and should not pick and choose the parts we want to keep.
TakemetotheRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008   #15
Durango, Colorado
The truth is that owning a gun is a disservice to yourself, your community and your family. If you read the thesis for the American Journal of Epidemiology report, you see that owning a gun increases the risk of violent death in the house for both you and your relatives, regardless of storage methods, number of firearms or type of firearms. Owning and using firearms legally is still a diservice to everbody involved, including a good number of innocent people. Think about the kid who kills his friend while playing with daddy's gun. He and his friend are pretty innocent and are really a victim of his dad's hubris at keeping a gun in the home and expecting nothing to happen. Guns were invented for one reason: to kill. As to subverting the constitution, somebody should have read the first half of the ammendment before letting the NRA start politicking. Over NRA headquarters the second half of the ammendment is written, but the part about a militia, which might at the very least imply an exchange of some sort of community service for the right of owning a gun is conspicuously left absent.

I should appologize for calling some of you gun nuts. I fired a gun a couple times and it was damn fun, so I understand the attraction. However, I have my opinions. I would actually enjoy hearing from some of you (CasperMike?).
Old 12-21-2008   #16
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
You are ignoring the fact that while your admonition might cause a minute amount of guilt in the Buzz' responsible gun owners (unlikely), it does nothing to deter the rampant illegal gun activity in this country and gun control won't either- it only serves to empower the criminal and emasculate the rest.

I agree that irresponsible gun ownership causes the deaths of far too many children and others, but like abstinence-only education, it is misguided to believe that outlawing guns will fix the problem.
TakemetotheRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008   #17
Silverthorne, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Wifey, remember there are 3 kinds of lies; lies, damn lies and statistics. Also, guns don't kill people, people with mustaches kill people.
Matty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008   #18
pnw, Washington
Kids dont have access to my guns or my house for that matter and my dogs dont have thumbs so they leave the guns alone. I do however believe that owning a gun is a serious responsibility and should not be taken lightly. I think statistics will tell you that autos are more deadly and are more harmful to the environment than guns but I dont see you going after them. I guess as in most things it boils down to personal choice. I chose to own guns and I am happy with my decision. If you choose not to have them then I support your decision.
"Yesterday I was clever and tried to change the world. Today I am wise and try to change myself." -Rumi
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008   #19
Aspen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
I have to agree with Takemetotheriver. Making almost anything illegal only creates a costly black market for it and the violence that goes along with it. Many of the accidental deaths associated with firearms could be prevented if our schools spent a day educating kids on proper firearm handling. I condone knowledge (sex-ed, drug awareness, rules for crossing the street) but for some reason most liberal people I know think that gun education is firearms condoning. Educating kids on this topic would not cause deaths just like sex-ed does not lead to promiscuity or drug awareness leads to drug abuse. A little knowledge doesn't hurt anyone but ignorance could kill.
I feel it is a disservice by medical professionals to try to qualify firearms as an epidemic or illness. Not everything that creates dis-ease should be viewed as a disease. Just because a med Dr. sees the result of firearm usage does not mean their opinion should carry any more clout than any other opinionated person.
Firearms are here to stay and the recent supreme court ruling entrenches that. The only thing reprehensible was the 5/4 ruling in Heller vs Washington DC. It was pure party politics when anyone who looks at the second ammendment in the context of when it was written should see that gun ownership is a personal and not collective right. That ruling should have been 9-0 in favor of gun ownership, but that is just my Libertarian view poking through
ZGjethro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008   #20
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Originally Posted by Matty View Post
Wifey, remember there are 3 kinds of lies; lies, damn lies and statistics. Also, guns don't kill people, people with mustaches kill people.
I beg your pardon! I've been mustachioed since I could do it convincingly and I never killed a soul... unless you believe trout have souls. But I don't even kill fish anymore...

Guns don't kill people. Usually it's the exsanguination...

You can never step into the same river; for new waters are always flowing on to you. - Heraclitus of Ephesus
DurangoSteve is offline   Reply With Quote