Old 07-05-2008   #71
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
best reason to get a gun

The best reason to get a gun is to protect yourself from rightwing gun nuts!!!WhAT THE HELL ARE YOU GUYS SO AFRAID OF?Seriously,never had much interest in owning a gun until recently,don't want to be unarmed when the shit hits the fan and righties are armed to the teeth.The arguements about another country being fools to invade us because we are so armed is the exact reason that no one [gov] could ever take your guns away[not that they ever wanted to] there would be a Waco/Ruby Ridge on every block.

Hey Helio ,my take was that the real issue was whether or not a city/state could make laws that supercede your constitutional rights,but that is wrong I guess.I know there was ambiguity as to the "well regulated militia " part,that righties always ignored,it was de facto accepted that people could own guns because so many people do anyway.Even Scallia said you can still regulate waiting periods and background checks and deny certain high risk groups gun ownership,which was all we ever wanted in the first place. The NRA would rather protect gun sellers than the public,allowing them to flood the market more than demand from legitimate gun owners allowing the excess to fall into criminal hands,thus generating more need for people to protect themselves eg more guns,other countries have less gun problems because they have less guns pure and simple.There is another gun rights advocacy group that is more reasonable about sensible restrictions,can't think of the name.

As far as grizzlies are concerned,a guy i met who works as a backcountry gold miner in Alaska was telling us that you carry two guns one shot gun and a high caliber handgun.If a bear charges you and you miss you're done ,if you blast him with the shot gun it stuns him and buys you time to nail him with the pistol.This guy even had a special mount on his raft to keep his shot gun ready and make sure it would not accidently discharge into his raft leaving him completely up shit creek without a paddle.He says they will try to bust you if you kill a bear unnecessarily and basically you have to prove it was,what ever happened to innocent until proven guilty?

Shooting shit up sure is fun though,never carried a gun except a couple of times when my buddy's uncle was serving papers to some real bad dudes and had us along for backup.Another friend had a black powder rifle/cannon on a stick friggin good fun.

cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008   #72
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
nice quote Helio

cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008   #73
B.F.E., Wyoming
I liked this thread so it needs a comeback...
I've been intersested in getting a gun for general fun and all.
I'm fairly inexperienced but have gone out and shot a buddies .44 (I think)a couple of times.
Any recemendations for a fun gun to run out and shoot prarie dogs and stuff with?
freexbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008   #74
Self-Aggrandizing jackass
The Ranch, Colorado
Paddling Since: 04
if you're going to splat prarie dogs, you probably want something that's accurate at a long range but cheap to shoot. I'm not the gun expert, but I think Theophilus can help a lot, as can the people in the thread 2008 Hunting Season.
"self-aggrandizing jackass" - it says it right on the label
heliodorus04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008   #75
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
I have a .22 rifle for varmints. Plenty adequate for prairie dogs, raccoons and beavers. And .22 long rifle hollowpoints are CHEAP.
DurangoSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008   #76
B.F.E., Wyoming
lookin more into hand gun stuff, not really sure I want to haul around a rifle. Just thinking of something throw in the truck heading out on a rio trip or fishing trip to just mess around with.
Old 10-15-2008   #77
Land of Lovin, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Are you thinking big or small caliber? .22 handguns are going to have the cheapest rounds, watch out for that hammer - ouch.
Jensjustduckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008   #78
B.F.E., Wyoming
What I am saying is that I have no intentions for home defence of bear defence or to go rob a bank. I just want a gun that I can go out in the prarie and shoot. Thats it.
Old 10-15-2008   #79
castle rock, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
If you are looking for a hand gun with cheap rounds then the 9mm is one great round. They are very easy to shoot and with the right round it could be used very well for the home as well. The second would be the .357 This is a great one as well. .357 is a great round but can be pricey but the cool thing is that you can shoot cheaper .38 special out of it as well When you just want to shoot cans. The .357 comes in a revolver so it is a much safer style of gun than a semiauto.
dograft83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008   #80
I'm right 50% of the time
Paddling Since: 1977
HK USP Compact or full size - 9mm, .40 S&W and .45 ACP.

Get the 2 tone. Not cheap, but great guns

Claimer: Someone that makes a claim that they have been there and done that, can do anything you can do better than you. I hate "claimers"
brendodendo is offline   Reply With Quote