Old 09-03-2008   #1
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Good Speech Peggy Hill

Peggy just finished her speech.While I despised most of what she said,she flat out lied about Obamas positions,she gave a good speech .She played extremely well to their base and has a certain charisma that I think may help McCain.She may upstage him.She may bring him down though if these scandal rumors stick.

Rudy 911 Guiliani just needs his teeth kicked in.Unbelievably repugnant arrogant prick ,jeezus.

cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008   #2
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
She did deliver the speech well. The jabs at Obama will play well with the base, but they may come off as snide to the undecided. I guarantee she'll have a problem on her feet when it comes to a debate. That should be very interesting. And I agree that this speech may upstage McCain, who is about as engaging as a broomstick with a bucket on it. Overall, better than I thought, in terms of the typical talking points like Guiliani and Thompson gave. Her background will, however, catch up with her and if Biden gets her on her heels on that stuff, she's in for a world of hurt.

El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008   #3
Renaissance Redneck
Huson, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
Yall are kidding
The're all about as believable and realistic as Gumby and Pokey
"You're gonna be doin a lot of doobie rolling when youre LIVIN IN A VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER"
LSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008   #4
Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
If McCain dies before November will she be the Presidential candidate? I just think if he tries to get the crowd fired up tomorrow he might have a heart attack...
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008   #5
Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
man that was a bitter speech. tough to watch all the fat, rich, white people relish in the moment as well.
benrodda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008   #6
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Palin Good News/Bad News

Good news: Sarah Palin can read a teleprompter. Her eyeglass prescription is working.

Bad news: Her hand gestures and smirks meant to punctuate the spoon-fed applause lines had a five-second delay. Oops.

In my less-than-humble opinion, Sarah Palin came off as a snarky, second-tier media market news reader. We've all seen them before: well-coiffed pretty faces who don't report the news, they read it... pretty well.

Her speech was nasty and biting, but she delivered the lines with a sneering smile, thus "softening" them. To some.

One of the most remarkable moments was when she brought up the "bridge to nowhere" that she supported before she opposed it. It has been clearly established that the earmark that she supposedly loathed was funded and she spent the money on other road projects. A true "earmark loather" would have returned the taxpayer money to the Treasury, right? Big blunder on the part of her line-feeders. Oops.

She presented a phony populism delivered by a "hockey mom" (I have already come to despise that newer, "tougher" remake of the "soccer mom" designation) who apparently loves God, but hates pork-barrel politicians... even though her Alaska record plainly shows that she is one. Oh joy, another self-loathing, self-deceiving, lying Republican politician. Like we didn't have enough already.

Make no mistake: Palin is a right wing extremist packaged as a likable "hockey mom." The hard edges have been airbrushed by the Rove accolytes, but the sneering venom bubbles just below the carefully crafted exterior.

When the cheerleading ended and McCain hobbled onto the stage, I was taken by how old and feeble he looks. The poor guy moved like an arthritic robot in need of an emergency lube job. Maybe that's what Palin's role is. [Snarky, sexist remark]
DurangoSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008   #7
Self-Aggrandizing jackass
The Ranch, Colorado
Paddling Since: 04
I was in school last night, and wouldn't have watched live anyway. So this morning I read the speech.

It was well-written (and I hear well delivered).

What it did well was target emotions.
Particularly about the sacrifice of the military.
It hit well at the emotional buttons that will cause people to go with gut emtional reactions. Obama as all-talk, McCain as all-sacrificing. Drilling as doing "something" while the left wants to "do nothing". The left saying one thing in Scranton, and another in San Francisco.

It drives a wedge into the internal debate people, particularly in the Rust Belt category of voter, will have about where we go from here.

It's the now-classical Republican gambit to develop a sense of emotional foreboding about the other guy.

It was well constructed, and delivered by a woman that guys from the age of 30 to 60 are naturally sexually attracted to. The Republicans have picked a good tool for the job (no pun intended). Palin has very good instincts for the kinds of moments she'll have in the next two months. She may, if she's intelligent (and I'm starting to believe she is), eclipse Biden in charismatic appeal (which isn't terribly difficult to do given their respective demographics).

We'll have to see if the Alaska dirt has any sticking power. Thus far, to the general undecided population, it seems not to.

My gut instinct is that this round of Palin in the spotlight wins for the Republicans. I think the working-class Rust Belt states just moved toward McCain. Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania. These states are key to 270 electoral votes...

Incidentally, if you're not paying attention, Colorado is favoring Obama by only 0.4 points.
"self-aggrandizing jackass" - it says it right on the label
heliodorus04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008   #8
Renaissance Redneck
Huson, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
Did I hear somewhere that she has a kid that is headed to Iraq? If so at least she is putting her offspring where McSame's (love the name) mouth is.
"You're gonna be doin a lot of doobie rolling when youre LIVIN IN A VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER"
LSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008   #9
Denver, Colorado
Alaskan Independent Party

Does anyone else find the irony in McCain picking a person who was a member of the AIP to "unite" the party and to attack anyones patriotism?

Secessionist Palin Story: McCain Camp Pushes Back

If the dirt of her past doesn't pull the McCain/Palin ticket down, I think once everyone gets familiar with her hard right views, that will.

"I think I handled my alcohol pretty well considering how drunk I was." -Cousin Dan
Livingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008   #10
Denver, Colorado

Yeah, 0.4%. Think I might start volunteering more than just money.

If you are watching the polls, this is one of my fav's. Electoral Projections Done Right

"I think I handled my alcohol pretty well considering how drunk I was." -Cousin Dan
Livingston is offline   Reply With Quote