Old 01-11-2015   #1
Atlanta, Georgia
Paddling Since: 2000
Golden Living?

Hey all, I am a recent transplant to the front Range Area. My wife and I are looking in the next 6 months or so to purchase a house. We currently are focusing on golden (we love that we can paddle after work at the play park, and its easy access to skiing). But one thing that we can't get from the web, is what type of folks are living/moving to Golden? What is the community like? Are there a lot of boaters living there? Are new dynamic restaurants and stores opening in the area?

Appreciate all the thoughts!

csmitty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015   #2
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
You could totally just like go there and scope the scene for yourself bro. Maybe have a beer. Feel it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015   #3
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
I have lived in Golden since '95, and I'm from Georgia, too (Thomasville, just north of the border from Tallahassee). I absolutely love Golden - the location can't be beat. Also, the town has (to me) more of a small town feel than other suburbs because it is separated from the "metro" area by North and South Table Mountain and to some extent by Green Mountain. I am lucky enough to both live and work in Golden (I work in Denver West park). There are a number of boaters in the area, too. Golden has made more of an effort over the last few years to be community friendly. Maybe I'll see you at the water park!
lchastai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015   #4
Atlanta, Georgia
Paddling Since: 2000
I hope so, it seems like that kind of place. I think I'll have to commute into Denver, but it seems do able distance and traffic.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mountain Buzz mobile app
csmitty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015   #5
Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
It's packed full of gapers with GoPros on their heads like the rest of Denver.
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015   #6
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I live in Golden and I like it alot. Its definately a great location for boating and other outdoor activities. In last couple years 2 brewhouses have opened up in addition to the long standing Golden City Brewery, which are great places to hang out and meet some folks. The play park is fun and the boating up the canyon is awesome. I have been a little disenchanted by the nanny state that has taken over at the river park the last couple of years. It used to be that you could have a beer on your tailgate after a session in play park, not anymore... there are zero tolerance signs everywhere. No smoking, drinking, dogs off leash ect. There is a constant law enforcement presence there now too, and they won't hesitate to write citations. Its overkill if you ask me. I won't be spending much time down there anymore. A friend of mine just told me that on the main Welcome to Golden sign in town it now says "No vape pens or vaping" Really? Was vaping that big of a problem? I guess I should be more involved in local politics.
goldcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015   #7
Golden, Colorado
We moved to Golden last May and bought a house there. We have enjoyed the location very much. We are able to walk downtown to the breweries, walk along the river ect. We have met many people our age 30s and it's nice most of them all have the same mentality and interest. All the restaurants are dog friendly.

The white water park is a nice feature. Although we do not kayak we are big R2 rafters and SUP. Yes when the water gets lower it becomes a "low income water park" for the community. At that point we get out the river tubes and nalgene of red bull vodka and embrace the ridiculousness. I am also a Paramedic for Golden 911 and work in the city. So my commute is about 2 min which helps. Yes the town is tourist but that what gives he town the money to hold events like candle walk, buffalo bill days, the Xmas lights ect.

I will agree we were looking for a small town and yes Golden has the feel of a mountain town but as we found out it is not small and quint it is just not denver and is only a 20 min drive to down town. They also have a 9/10 stars on there school which helps with resale value.

I did not even touch on all the climbing biking and hiking we have down without are care even leAving the driveway. We live just under north Table and I watch climber every morning on the rock face in the warm sun. And it's mid January.

gobigohome is offline   Reply With Quote