Old 11-25-2009   #1
On the Highway, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Ft Lewis Students...

I know there are some people that are going or have gone to Ft Lewis in Durango recently on the buzz, and I wanted to ask some Q's about the college and town.

I'm currently taking classes up in Boulder and while it's a nice place and all, I'm just not feeling it. I've always had a better time in smaller mountain towns so I figured I would give Ft Lewis a look. The questions are geared for biology and environmental studies.

What do you think about the education being offered at FLC?
Is it quality instruction on the campus?
Are there decent research opportunities?

I know the best way to answer these questions is to come to Durango and do a town and campus tour but I was hoping for some thoughts before I make the trip out.

Also what is life like for most everyone outside of the campus-
food, night life, public transportation, etc...

Thanks for any thoughts!

bldrmorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009   #2
carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
FLC, felt like collage.
i loved the place. i felt the education was fine. you get out of it what you put into it. the professors are 1st rate, good pay and a desirable location for teaching.
the town is the best, great locals, great kayaking and a fun mountain. also you are less then 2 hours from t-ride or wolf creek.
research is all done on the web these days isn't it? i don't know. i graduated in 93'.
i would still live there if i could. the wages are a bit lower there than other mountain towns b/c of the collage. but i would love to move back.
easy off campus living. easy to get around. great weather. it's just a real nice place to be.
i'd recomend it to anyone

onefatdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009   #3
Renaissance Redneck
Huson, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
I got my teacher cert there in a 5th year program
I found my instructors to be knowledgeable and helpful
The program was sort of bare bones
But that was just what I wanted to get it done and get in the classroom
I ended up teaching in Durango for 10 years so I was there for at total of 16 and saw it change from a sort of hippy hick agrojock feel to a socal mcmansion town that I couldn't afford to live in anymore
"You're gonna be doin a lot of doobie rolling when youre LIVIN IN A VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER"
LSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009   #4
Student, Durango
I've been at the Fort for about four and half years, graduating here at the end of the month. I've had great experience thus far, though the school is going through some pretty tough financial times...I can't really answer your question about the Biology and the Environmental Studies department... Considering the kind of funding the Fort gets from the state, my guess is that research opportunities are fairly limited. Faculty wise, the Fort is hit and miss. I've had some really great professor, I've had some really shity professor.

Life outside of the college is really where it's at...the community of Durango is awesome. Location is about as good as you gonna get outdoors wise...2 hour drive to Moab or Telluride, Weminachue is you backyard, not mention the Upper A, the Peidra, and Vallicito. The nightlife doesn't have a whole lot offer but El Rancho is pretty priceless watering hole. Ultimately, if your more academically oriented the Fort probably is not for you... hope that helps to answer some of your question...

Schnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009   #5
On the Highway, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Thanks for the info everyone. I def understand how funding is right now, everyone is pinched for cash. And I can imagine how a small university on the SW corner of Colorado feels right now...

The life outside of the college is what has been appealing to me. From paddling, boarding, hiking, camping, biking, etc..... Just seems like a big play ground. Was hoping to do all this and score a degree at the same time. Plus I've got a ton of family history down in that area, so I've been wanting to go explore it more.

Thanks again for the info!
bldrmorgan is offline   Reply With Quote