I am convinced that the biggest issues we face in the next 5-10 years are;
Getting America back to work
So I think I'll kick off my run to the white house by addressing the debt.
1) Run a balanced budget. Push for a balanced budget amendment.
2) Push for line item veto on the budget.
3) Encourage a different attitude in Government about budgets; the money in your budget is not simply to be spent, it is to be invested in America. There is no shame in running a budget surplus; in fact, you are a hero if you do that.
4) So long as we run a deficit neither elected representatives, white house senior staff or cabinet level officials get a pay check.
5) Elected and cabinet level officials use commercial air carriers whenever reasonable. Same for ground transportation; Cabs and trains are good enough to haul your butt around to all your meetings.
6) A 10% across the board cut in all budgets. Yeah, I know, it's a meat axe approach, but we gotta start somewhere.
7) "Ununify" the budget. Programs funded by dedicated funding sources (social security, medicare/medicaid, unemployment) should not be in the unified budget; they stand or fall on their own.
Eliminate "borrowing" from dedicated trust funds like Social Security. Current IOU'S are to be collected within 5 years.
9) Public Employee pensions get rolled into Social Security and government employees collect Social Security. If it's good enough for Americans, Social Security is good enough for us.
10) New programs and expenses must have a clearly defined funding source; general revenue is not sufficient; simply, how you paying for it?
Approved by the Schutzie for President committee