Old 07-24-2008   #21
Blue Shiver, CO, Colorado
I got this recipe idea from another thread on the buzz, but I thought I'd elaborate since it is Oh-so-good and hard to screw up.

Cream cheese stuffed chili cornbread

2 boxes of Jiffy cornbread mix, mix per directions
10-12 whole roasted chilis, stuffed with cream cheese, can be canned
can of diced chilis
can of creamed corn

Mix jiffy mixes, add creamed corn and diced chilis, grease oven, pour 2/3 of mix in oven, arrange whole chilis so everyone will get one or two, pour rest of mix in...bake.

smittyvwbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009   #22
Jenks, Oklahoma
does anyone know where I can buy one of the rectangular Rome alumimum dutch ovens?

Cascade does not sell them anymore

dreid38 at cox dot net

okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009   #23
Canon City, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Partner Steel makes square DOs. I really like mine. I didn't like DOs for a long time because of the weight and packability- round DOs don't fit in square dryboxes very well. So when I used these on the Grand I was really impressed. One of my favorite features is that the lids double as flattops. The aluminium cleans pretty easily, too, and is pretty durable- hard anodized is harder than stainless steel utensils. Partner Steel Camping Equipment
climbdenali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009   #24
thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
Reading all the positive things about aluminum dutch ovens makes me want to change from cast iron to aluminum, but after 30+ years I do not think my cast iron ones will ever die.
raymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009   #25
San Juans, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Pork Loin, either whole or cut into 1 inch thick slices
Baby red potatoes
Peeled Carrots
Onion quartered
a few Bay leaves
1.5+ inches of water in bottom of D.O.
Stick of butter/margarine
minced garlic
A-1 steak sauce
dab of liquid smoke
salt and pepper to taste
1 Liter Wild Turkey

Melt butter in DO, add in water, few drops of liqiud smoke, 1/8 bottle A1
put taters in next, evenly layered with carrots
put on Pork and minced garlic, salt and pepper
top with quartered onions

Put DO on even bed of coals, and some coals on lid.

Gather 4-6 friends play bocci and drink whiskey til bottle is empty.
Eat dinner

Premade (home) lasagnas work well in DO either buy a foil insert that fits DO or use a rectangular one, make the lasagna and then make the retangle fit in the DO. Freeze and vaccum seal. Makes cleanup easy and even easier to cook. I often carry foil liners for my DO if things look like they will get messy ie enchiladas or casseroles
Sport Climbing is Neither
--The Verm
dgosn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010   #26
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
If anybody is still following this post, AAA Inflatables in Denver has a bunch of the rectangular Aluminum Dutch Ovens from Rome in stock. They apparently stocked up whe they were told thwy were ending production.
twmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010   #27
Idaho, Wyoming
DO info

i just noticed this post since you brought it up. i've been a long time cook/chef and river/fishing guide. i've used all the materials for DO's and would only buy anodized aluminum anymore. the only advantage to unanodized aluminum is price. my iron only gets used for the backyard these days because of the wieght and care needed to prevent rusting. seasoning has not been aproblem with any of these materials.

there are a couple of points that i feel got missed in the previous posts. first being that almost any recipe that you like for a home oven can be made to work reasonably well in a dutch oven. any type of pasta, rice, vegetable, stew, chili or pie can be adapted and with a little practice can be made well.

practice at home. use charcoal, not firewood. charcoal is a much more controlable heat source. all it takes is some heavy duty foil laid out in a safe uncombustible place. you can lay your coals out on the foil and don't need a raging fire.

it is important to cook slowly and not rush things- especially with aluminum which is a great conductor of heat and cold. it heats very quickly and will cool quickly as well with out coal management.

coal management is the key. whether you use iron or aluminum, the key is to balance the heat. i've always tried for a 2-1 ratio. twice as many coals on top than on the bottom. i use more coals both top and bottom when i use iron compared to aluminum. chances are when you experiment you will find the bottom burning before the dish is finished. 3-1 may even be a better ratio if your unsure. it's pretty tough to burn the top of what ever your cooking and amazingly easy to burn the bottom.

i hope these tips help.

billfish is offline   Reply With Quote