Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Other Chatter > The Eddy

Old 01-16-2009   #41
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
demo one of the reasons why the percent of users is less than us for the other hard drugs is they are able to buy cannabis in coffee shops not hard drugs. if you can get a joint in in 2 minutes and only have to pay 2 dollars thats a hell of a deal you never have to worry about whos going to have the next bag you will be looking for. for expensive. plus you have daily variety. keeping the productive non addicted members of society away from the non-productive addicted members of society and you willl soon see drastic improvement specially when the hard drug sellers(which is illegal in netherlands) can't find new customer supply and demand. they will eventually die off or get arrested and the numbers continue to drop off.

"What are its long-term effects?Methamphetamine is addictive, and users can develop a tolerance quickly, needing larger amounts to get high. In some cases, users forego food and sleep and take more meth every few hours for days, 'binging' until they run out of the drug or become too disorganized to continue. Chronic use can cause paranoia, hallucinations, repetitive behavior (such as compulsively cleaning, grooming or disassembling and assembling objects), and delusions of parasites or insects crawling under the skin. Users can obsessively scratch their skin to get rid of these imagined insects. Long-term use, high dosages, or both can bring on full-blown toxic psychosis (often exhibited as violent, aggressive behavior). This violent, aggressive behavior is usually coupled with extreme paranoia. Methamphetamine use can also cause strokes and death"

does this sound like something we should unleash on our own society. and demo when something becomes legal and readily available you will see more users like say alcohol and cigarettes. and look at your death chart.

caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009   #42
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
I wonder, if people could walk into a 7/11 and ask for a bag of crack, would they? It seems that it would be embarrassing- almost like buying cigarrettes these days.

Would people at big college parties say- "you do a beer run, I'll do a heroin run?" Would this cause more overdoses for unsuspecting freshmen?

Would people still make meth in their basements?

If people still made meth in their basements would anyone buy it knowing that the quality was sketchy?

Would high school students start doing it because "it's cool" since they aren't old enough to buy it according to the law like alcohol, chew, and cigarrettes?

Or would they campaign against it as in "7 out of 10 Aztec High School students don't ride with someone who has been drinking." (our newest awareness program)

I don't have an opinion yet- these things just occurred to me. I'm for legalization of Marijuana, but I wonder about the rest.

TakemetotheRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009   #43
Aspen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
Here is my position. I do not use any drugs except alcohol. I went to school in Aspen, and all the hard drugs were available, and I tried several. It must me a miracle that I'm not an addict, you know how those "gateway" drugs are. Despite being illegal, anything could be obtained, just like today. If someone wants to put a substance in their body, that should be their choice, with exceptions for driving, working or being in a responsible position. Wait, aren't there laws like that now?
I'm tired of fearing the cops in Utah because a buddy may have a joint or mushroom in his bag. I hate seeing people get large prison sentences when they did not hurt anyone. I'm embarrassed that the US imprisons the highest percentage of it population of any developed nation, mostly due to the drug war or the violent drug trade. Remove the profitability by decriminalizing drugs and the associated violence will disappear. Its a no brainer to legalize pot, I'm just advocating the same logic for more damaging drugs. If you are dumb enough to use that shit, the health risks are your problem, but society will end up paying a price. I think the price will be way less than the war on drugs and prisons. I'm to lazy to back these opinions with facts, and its time to go skiing for me.
ZGjethro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009   #44
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005

I am well aware of the effect of most drugs on the body. When my friend's newphew turned 10 recently I told him "son, you're getting to the age where you may start thinking about doing some drugs. All I ask is to call me before you do anything so I can tell you what the effects are going to be, because I've done most of them." That said, I was exaggerating, but I've still done my fair share.

I imagine drug legalization taking the form of state "drug stores," which would be very similar to state liquor stores in Utah. They would be heavily regulated and drugs would be sold only to people of a certain age (18 unless they change the age for selective service) with valid ID. Its not like Joe the crack dealer would be setting up a coke kiosk across from Casper Elementary School.

Also, how is it that you are so against drug legalization but for widepread firearm ownership? All drugs combined kill far, far fewer people every ear than firearms. You steadfastly stand by firearm ownership as an essential liberty, but are afraid to allow people to act responsibly with drugs. I would say Hallucinagens have more positive effects than guns do which would justify an unrestricted legal status. Kids are also far, far more likely to experiment with guns at a young age than they are to experiment with drugs. I didn't become interested in drugs until I was about 12 or 13. When I was five or six and watched the lone ranger for the first time, I really really wanted a gun. At which age do you think people are better able to make even remotely rational decisions about serious issues?

The dangers of drugs would be far reduced if they were legalized as well. Instead of driving addicts underground because of our draconian laws, legalization could instead make it easier and more socially acceptable to both seek out help and also seek out advicice on how to more safely use potentially dangerous drugs like heroin.
Demosthenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009   #45
Bozeman, Montana
okey dumbass, let me put this out for you there is no safe way of doing meth or heroin. if meth is made in a basement or a lab its still the chemicals that fuck up your body not some foreign chemicals. same for heroin. there is nothing good that could come out of legalizing hard drugs which will kill people. if meth and heroin are not used for any kind medicinal treatment. opiats which heroin is made out of are.

not that i have to worry your dumbass ideas aren't worth a second read anymore.

no guns, legalize drugs, you want a nation wide heath system to to cop with the rising number of violent crimes and addicts. you have your head on straight let me tell you. might as well burn our money instead of send it to the government. i think all those drugs youve done frieed your brain for good.
and im still waiting on the correct stats that you posted.you didn't even have a year on them and i highly doubt death stats would ever be round up or down.
Old 01-16-2009   #46
Bozeman, Montana
Motor vehicle traffic—In 2005, motor vehicle traffic-related injuries resulted in 43,667 deaths, accounting for 25.1 percent of all injury deaths (Table 1. The slight decrease in the age-adjusted death rate for motor vehicle traffic-related injuries from 2004 (33) to 2005 (14.7 deaths per 100,000 U.S. standard population to 14.6) was not statistically significant.

14.6 people per 100,000 nearly all of them drive

Drug-induced mortality
In 2005, a total of 33,541 persons died of drug-induced causes in the United States (Tables 21 and 22). The category ‘‘drug-induced causes’’ includes not only deaths from dependent and nondependent use of either legal or illegal drugs, but also includes poisoning from medically prescribed and other drugs. The category excludes unintentional injuries, homicides, and other causes indirectly related to drug use. Also excluded are newborn deaths due to mother’s drug use. (For a list of drug-induced causes, see ‘‘Technical Notes.’’) In 2005, the age-adjusted death rate for drug-induced causes for males was 1.8 times the rate for females. The age-adjusted death rate for the white population was 1.1 times the rate for the black population (Table 21). The rate for the non-Hispanic white population was 1.9 times the rate of the Hispanic population, and the rate for the non-Hispanic black population was 1.7 times the rate of the Hispanic population (Table 22). Between 2004 and 2005, the age-adjusted death rate for drug-induced causes increased 8.7 percent from 10.4 deaths per 100,000 U.S. standard population to 11.3 deaths per 100,000 U.S. standard population. Between 2004 and 2005, the age-adjusted death rate for drug-induced causes among the major ethnic-race-sex groups increased by 8.6 percent for white males,
7.4 percent for white females, 10.5 percent for black males, 9.1 percent for black females, and 12.4 percent for Hispanic males. For Hispanic females, the age-adjusted death rate increased 2.9 percent, but this was not statistically significant.

10.4 deaths per 100,000; people drive more cars than people do drugs.
Old 01-16-2009   #47
Bozeman, Montana
alot more peolpe drive cars than do drugs and look at the stats you have a higher chance of deing if you do drugs than you do if you are driving a car.

and sorry for coming off super harsh, i had a shitty night trying to keep the house warm with a furnance with pilot went out after everytime it turned off. so no sleep and it feels like today is still yesterday. sorry.