Old 02-28-2013   #11
Canon City, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Originally Posted by jpbay View Post
In Oregon you can get a bui on anything that floats except a private float dock!
So, everyone on any boat is eligible for BUI? Everyone on the cruise ship with drinks at dinner can get BUI? There's gotta be a line between passengers and operators. My question is really how they determine who's "operating" a boat if truly nobody's in control. I'm asking sincerely, because to my knowledge, Colorado has the same kind of law that only makes it a crime to "operate or be in
actual physical control of a vessel."

Anybody out there have a realistic answer? Surely there's a DA from somewhere on the buzz. . .

climbdenali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013   #12
Tigard, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
Originally Posted by climbdenali View Post
So, everyone on any boat is eligible for BUI? Everyone on the cruise ship with drinks at dinner can get BUI? There's gotta be a line between passengers and operators. My question is really how they determine who's "operating" a boat if truly nobody's in control. I'm asking sincerely, because to my knowledge, Colorado has the same kind of law that only makes it a crime to "operate or be in
actual physical control of a vessel."

Anybody out there have a realistic answer? Surely there's a DA from somewhere on the buzz. . .
I wish I can give you a straight answer, here is the regulation the BLM uses to regulate the Deschutes, "No person under the influence of intoxicating liquor or controlled substance shall operate, propel, or be in actual physical control of a boat upon the water. Not less than .08 percent by weight of alcohol in a personís blood constitutes being under the influence of intoxicating liquor."

I interpret this as if you have a paddle in your possession, you are an operator. Not sure how they would handle a boat without any paddles. I guess same goes for innertubes too, if your butt is in the hole, you're an operator... I have heard of people on the Deschutes getting tickets for holding a beer while paddling. So the joke is, but the paddle down, pick the beer up, put the beer down, pick the paddle up.

TriBri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013   #13
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Originally Posted by MT4Runner View Post

It was probably a worse idea shuttling or driving home than whatever I did on the river.
Indeed. I fully enjoy indulging in a few drinks while boating runs I am VERY comfortable with and that are close to my home (basically Numbers,Fractions and Browns). However, if it's a run that I am not very familiar with, or if I have a drive to get back home after, then I will limit it to one after we get off the water. Multi-day desert floats are a different story..... in those situations the more the merrier as long as your not a "mean drunk".
GARNAís mission is to foster stewardship of the resources of the greater Arkansas River region through education, volunteerism and experiences.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013   #14
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I 'm a half -drunk off the rive but don 't usually driink while boating, except when doing easy stuff with rafters, they sure drink a lot and are mighty generous with beers.... sometimes we like to have a safety meeting kayaking after the crux rapid or before playboating or easy stuff but not get all baked...beers at takeout semi mandatory but only 1 or2 if driving..
I remember this guy, I'd met in any eddy on Westwater about 30 seconds before, offering me a shot of "the reverend " he pulls out a bottle of Jim Beam and 2 shot glasses from under his sprayskirt and pours a couple shots on the deck of his bobbing kayak.I declined my bro did one...

another time I elfed the upper blue at stupid low flows with some rafters in duckies.I had maybe 12-15 beers these other guys more.I remember one guy pins on a small boulder I looked at him and he was laughing pee your pants hard...these guys always rafted thrashed like guys passing out in the takeout eddy and having to dragged over to a hastily set fire to avoid hypothermia...
cayo 2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013   #15
Palisade, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
Beer is food
F.A.A.C. Slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013   #16
Old Guy in a PFD
Tucson, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1967
See, I thought it was a rule, you couldn't get on a boat without a beer. At least, that's how I was taught...........

I've been on trips where pretty much everyone is loaded up, and it's about like being the only sober one at a keg party. Not much fun, and some asshole always manages to throw up on my tennis shoes.

I was on a totally dry trip. Once. An overnight that ran for a week it seemed.

My code is the same on river as off river; Keep your poop in a group. Except in camp when the chores are done. Then everyone is welcome to get stupid as long as a river watch is in place; you know, to keep me from falling in...........

And one of the worst trips I was ever on was Ladore with a bunch of Pro football players the week before training camp. They rolled up in a Grayhound filled, and I do mean filled, with enough alcohol, drugs, and peanuts to fill a stadium. And they were already puking on their shoes.

They stayed that way for 5 days; they actually threatened to hang one of their own who wasn't partying enough, and I think they'd have done it if any of them were sober enough to tie a rope.

The first day, a linebacker who shall remain nameless (but he played for New England) drunkenly announced that he "wasn't wearing no pussy life jacket" and a stupid 15 minute discussion ensued between him, his mates, and me. In the end, he did put on the jacket, but as he climbed on board he looked me in the eye and said "I don't like you little boatman".

5 days of babysitting really big drunk, obnoxious, uncontrollable kids; the only good parts were we could feed them any burned up, mushed shit and they'd swear it was the best thing they ever ate, and they tipped good. But, I got a cracked rib and a broken pair of glasses for my trouble. I doubt any of them remember anything about the trip.

So my bottom line is, keep your poop in a group and we'll get along fine.
Schutzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013   #17
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
I don't drink but if I expected friends not to, I think I'd be a lonely solo boater!!!
I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013   #18
Eagle, Idaho
Paddling Since: '78
I used to drink too much on the river...never had any issues, but realized it just wasn't as much fun anyway...I tend to be a worry-wort and the anxiety was the kicker...I realized I was putting my passengers in harms way (never drank when I commercially guided...just fun trips with friends).

I'll still have a couple/few on easier runs where I have absolutely no worries.

I'll share my most boneheaded river drinking story. I kayaked the Poudre Narrows pretty hammered one time many years ago. Totally cleaned it, but it was pretty stupid looking back on it. College days, boatin' bro's, what can I say???
GoodTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013   #19
Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2003
I'm very familiar with the Lower Deschutes run (about 20-30 times, maybe 40 a summer). I certainly remember 10+ years ago when the entire run was like one party barge, just boat after boat. BLM stepped in and ended that (as well as just made it more of a hassle to run the river.)

The great thing about the Deschutes is that it is a river we can take anybody, any age, on. I feel comfortable taking my grandparents, as well as floating with a boat full of kids. I understand people wanting to have a good time and throw a few back while on the river, and as far as rivers go, the Deschutes is pretty tame. My frustration is the constant battle with drunk idiots on that river. It pisses me off when a raft full of drunk or high "paddlers" follows too close, pushes me off my line, etc. Sure, they may just be inexperienced and not understand these perhaps unspoken rules of the river but I also would not be at all surprised if the several beers they've pounded impaired their common sense. I'm sick of almost having a drunk girl fall and throw up on me while I am helping my grandma (kids, anybody...) out of my boat at take out while her hammered friends laugh and swear at her. I could go on and on with stories I have about conflicts with heavily drinking boats as well as times when we've come to the aid of heavily drinking boats or boaters that have gotten themselves into dangerous situations.

Also the reality is that people do die even on the Deschutes, sure not a lot, but there seems to be a consistent 1 or 2 a year. A lot of times it is due to no or improper use of their PFD. Usually it is also combined with alcohol. The heavy use of alcohol also continues to bring unwanted negative attention to the river that puts more and more hassle on boaters and outfitters from governmental and state agencies. Be safe, be smart, go get a beer and pizza up at Deschutes Pizza when you're done.

ReillRaft is offline   Reply With Quote