Old 10-22-2009   #61
Yes Bechtel, Fluor, Halliburton, KBR all have conections and seem to be awarded contract's in a direct ''here it is approach''.

Doing some research, Old Tim, is the son of Ford Foundation executive, grew-up over seas, (Indonesia area.)Looks cut his teeth with Kissinger Associates and then went in the Treasury. I am sure he caught the eye of excutives, working on the peso crisis, in the early 90's. It seems Bernanke and Tim get along real well.

It sure seems that we are trying to buy our way out, and in the mean-time control (own-bail-out) banking, GM, merrill lynch-stearns and letting lehman slip into bankruptcy.

I really just find this topic intresting, wild, I'm not so sure Tim should be on the list of Douche-bags. Not that I am backing this guy, Just when you come up with the turbo -tax for a reason for not paying your taxes, seems like everyone in the room would start laughing- take another drink of old crow,,, and give him the tumbs up!!

Palo Duro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009   #62
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995

Good posts.You touched on a lot of topics/tangents,too many to respond to all of them.

The UN started the IMF ,but it operates largely independently of the UN.I don't know that the UN endorses their more predatory practices. I don't want to be an apologist for their worst excesses,they have a scandal or three ,but the UN gets a bad rap.They do tons of humanitarian work they get little credit for,and have something like 100 successful peacekeeping missions.Yet,nearly all the focus is on their failures,Rwanda ,Darfur,etc.,and their lack of military prowess.
The whole structure of the security council is one thing I call into question.Their ability to veto overwhelmingly one sided votes undermines the very concept that it is a democratic institution.Without giving them that power though ,they wouldn't have been willing to cooperate;they are/were the superpowers ,and of course they would not be willing to partially subordinate their power to an international body without that concession.Without any one of them there is a huge hole in international cooperation.There was talk of elevating India,Japan , Germany ,and Brasil ,to permanent membership on the security council[, but without veto power,i think ].We are as guilty of abusing veto power as anyone.Don't the big 5 usually get preferential treatment in virtually every international institution,not just the IMF,AS A FUNCTION OF THEIR POWER.

The double taxation arguments regarding inheritance are bogus.Many of the inheritees refuse to grasp the concept that the deceased 's debts and back taxes ,some deferred,must be cleared up first.The first MILLION [i've heard 2 million,quoted also] is tax free [ hey accountants, is this per recipient or total to all inheritors?],then a high ,45% ? rate kicks in. In other words,assuming the person had a reasonable number of kids ,each recipient will recieve 6 figures tax free plus over half of anything over 1[or 2] million,for being born /marrying someone.Hardly punitive!!!IF THE DEAD PERSON HAD THAT MUCH IN ASSETS IT IS A CLEAR INDICATION THAT THE SOCIAL CONTRACT SERVED THEM WELL.Therefore,IT IS NOT UNREASONABLE THAT SOCIETY SHOULD RECOVER A PERCENTAGE OF IT'S PROCEEDS.

As far a stock returns,another form of UNEARNED INCOME,similar arguments apply.Risk is worth something,way too much in our culture,so maybe allowing people to make the first $2500 or $5000 tax free or at the rate of middle class taxation,would be fair.This would not translate to power over others lives ,so who cares,more power to them .Large scale stock transactions that are undertaxed leads to unacceptable consolidation of wealth ,see the current financial crisis.Paying executives in stock leads to unsound bisiness practices to inflate the value of stock,see the current crisis.

cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009   #63
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
cont'; The capping of bonuses only applies to companies receiving bailout money, does it not? Why is it inappropriate to be ensured we get our money back first before they go back to their culture of unbridled greed and excess?They claim they'll lose the best and brightest to the competition.Do they mean the a-holes who caused this mess in the first place?You can't tell me there are not competent* people willing to perform their duties for a fraction of the cost.

What you said about connections amongst all these companies,think tanks,high level cronies, is totally true .I know I'd be bitching about Obama's ties to Goldman-Sachs if I was a republican.Bechtel is a great example, prominent members of the Reagan administration were closely connected [Weinberger,Schultz] they are one of the main contractors in Iraq/Afghanistan.They give money to both parties,but favor the Repubs 62% to 37%.I think this is fairly typical ;buy off both sides just in case, but favor repubs more pro business policies.

* no not f'ing Geitner
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009   #64
Thsi fellow has something to say,

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself
Palo Duro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009   #65
Aspen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
Originally Posted by Neil Gustafson View Post
I got unresponsive addresses for the links.
ZGjethro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009   #66
Little Village, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
We Are Douchebags from Slick Gigolo - Video

Uh, I'm just gonna go find a cash machine.
Riparian is offline   Reply With Quote