Old 08-03-2011   #11
Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1993
skunk retribution

I know this guy who got sick of skunks in his hood so he invented this trap that is very effective and isolates the spray. I think he's up to 52 skunks now. Definitely not a catch and release situation. Seems a bit barbaric but apparently it works.

Vaya Con Rios!

MikeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011   #12
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
Get a smarter dog!

My last Australian Shepard would tangle with a skunk on occasion. He would be banished to outside for a couple of days. During that time he would repeatedly roll in the dirt, and after a couple of days we would give him a bath and he would be deskunked.

Snowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011   #13
Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2008
The formula in post # 5 is the only household solution that works. I've used it twice.

Tomato juice only makes your dog smell like skunk and tomatoes.
gringoanthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011   #14
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
update: i borrowed a solution that my neighbors had, some kind of dog/human wash for those who get skunked. It worked really well. They said they have also had success with the peroxide/baking soda solution.
Drew J.
funkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011   #15
chicago, Illinois
Paddling Since: '10
I unfortunatly have dealt with this on more than one occasion. I would try and use both suggestions that are available at this link:

De-Skunking Dogs - How to Remove Skunk Smell from Dogs

Remember that the natures miracle product that you can get at the pet store is an enzyme and needs time to digest the oils that make that smell so difficult to get rid of. Be careful with the home chemistry solution if your dog has a dark coat. It can lighten their coat.

medical equipment
John Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011   #16
Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2008
My dog is brindle and the baking soda/peroxide solution (that I used twice in one washing) did not lighten her coat. Not even remotely.
gringoanthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011   #17
most weekends up on the payettes, Idaho
Paddling Since: 83
Here's what doesn't work

Been down this road twice with same dog, one time had that yellow crap all over the dog so bad that you could taste it and always on the first day of a multi day

what doesn't work

1) Soap and/or shampoo----water only re-stinkafies the dog---in fact for a month or more when the dog got wet the skunk smell came back
2) Tomato juice---like a previous poster said, smells like skunk and tom juice
3) cocktail sauce see above
4) cheap bourbon---I was desparate--didn't work but the dog liked licking it off.

Other lessons I've learned: if you have a black and white cat at home dog the will think: "heh, what's Mittens doing here on the river, I better go say hi"

On hot summer days don't take you dog out for a walk at dusk. Every thing comes out of hiding once the sun starts to go down.
Sidnye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011   #18
Spits Hot Fire
N. Cascades, Washington
Proud parent of the skunk-sprayed dog club as of last night, Drew. Jeezum Crow, not a pleasant experience.

Only thing I had in the cabinets was a little Ragu sauce which works surprisingly well. The tomato sauce/juice remedy results may have to do with the dog itself and the type of coat it has. I am not a veterinarian but I did sleep with a vet tech once.
Your opinion doesn't matter when you're already biased.
FLOWTORCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011   #19
San Juans, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
I got the skunk treatment last week, only the skunk was in my doorway ass end pointed at the door (or so i think as I was asleep). Woke up to barking dog foaming at the mouth, blind, and pissed. Had the evacuate the house for a couple days. When I got back dog was better, house, not so much. Ionizer, carpet cleaner for the house, and it's a lot better.

The dog got body wash treatment and thrown into smelter rapid a couple times. Also scrubbed him with a brush and a little baking soda. The best thing that seemed to work was I had a pile of sawdust, so after I washed him I rubbed sawdust all over him, and let him dry out. Then back to the river for more swimming and soap.

5 days later, my house is okay, and the dog is not bad.....

I'm also getting a live trap for the back yard, with a .22lr judge/jury for future skunks.
Sport Climbing is Neither
--The Verm
dgosn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011   #20
Grand Junction, Colorado
Tomato Juice it works 100%

flipper42 is offline   Reply With Quote