Old 08-18-2009   #1
On the Highway, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Dog Medical Questions....

Last Saturday my black lab mix Bomber took off out of my buddies back yard and head butted the back quarter panel of a truck going 30 down HWY 82 in Aspen. He sustained a pretty bad concussion and dislocated hip. He's been in the Basalt ER vet clinic since then.

Just yesterday in a span of 6 hours his heart rate went from 108 to 35-40 beats a minute. Sat and Sun his heart was just fine and there were no issues. The doc informed me Bomber had developed a 3rd degree AV block, where only the top half of the heart is beating. Something is stopping the bottom half from receiving the signals to pump blood.

Between numerous workers there at the clinic and the cardiologist, no one has seen a AV block develop from trauma like this. They really have no clue why it has happened so suddenly. They are all good people there, and I am not questioning their abilities what so ever.

I'm just wondering if any of you have gone through any similar experience or have worked in the field and know anything.

They gave him an oral steroid in case there is inflammation around the heart that is causing this. If the steroid doesn't work, the only cure is a pace maker.

bldrmorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009   #2
Gunnison, Colorado
Paddling Since: 03
WOW, Thats really scary! Our dog is like a child to us! Our thoughts are wiTh you!! It's an unfortunate that everything has happened to your pup. . .but at least you found out before it was fatal. . .I've been around lots of dogs (sled dogs and my grandparnts breed beagles) but I've never heard of that.
Good luck!

JohnsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009   #3
I'm wrong 50% of the time
RFV, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1977

Dr. Dolginow (owner of Valley Emergency Pet Care and Aspen Animal Hospital) and his staff are the best in the valley. You can be sure they are doing thier best.

My father is a vet (retired) in CA. Feel free to contact me and I'll put you in touch with him and the group he works with. I'm sure they would be interested in your case and might be able to point you in the right direction.

Have faith.

Claimer: Someone that makes a claim that they have been there and done that, can do anything you can do better than you. I hate "claimers"
brendodendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009   #4
On the Highway, Colorado
Thanks for the offer to talk to your father, I've sent you a pm with some contact info.

I've got tons of faith in Bomber, he's a tough dog with a hell of a spirit. Just can't wait to get him worked on and headed home so he can start the recovery process.
bldrmorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009   #5
pnw, Washington
Never heard of such a thing and I thought my dogs had messed up about everything. Good luck getting him back on his feet.
"Yesterday I was clever and tried to change the world. Today I am wise and try to change myself." -Rumi
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009   #6
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Your mountainbuzz expert on the subject would be erdvm1 - his names gives away the qualifications. Might be worth a PM for an opinion. Good luck.
KSC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009   #7
Whitewater Boater, Boating Whitewater
Question - are you getting all your info from one vet? I had almost the same thing happen to my little girl aussie just over 10 years ago.

She got clipped, 30 mph, rear quarter panel...she was quite a herder and never really spent time near the road (she was typically 1/4 mile or more from any roadway - in the forest). She was shook up. called the emergency midnight vet, described the whole thing, her condition etc. and they advised me to take her to my normal vet in the morning...she seemed ok that night.

Next morning, took her in 1st thing. She seemed a little shook up getting into the truck and by the time we go to the vet 45 min later she was gone. Internal bleeding in her stomach. As a kid we got a puppy that proceeded to get the older dog all riled up. The were running in circles over and over. Rug to tile to rug to tile. Well mom had just shampooed the rugs, older dog kept slipping on the tile. Again punctured stomach, the end within 2 days, didn't even know she was hurt. Would you take a dog to the vet after it slipped?

Now back to original dog - Her a 12 year old blind diabetic who is doing great (no more whitewater)..and her "replacement", who is now a 10 year old with his own issues (odd caughing and puking, etc limited to class II) have both driven us to a number of different vets.

The one thing I have learned about vets is actually the same thing I have learned about most people. I really think I got my shit together when it comes to my profession. I would be honored to work with a vet that had there vet shit together as much as I feel like I have my shit together for my trade...and I learn new stuff every day and I am humbled constantly.

Bottom line, see a number of vets and do it quick. They all have very different experiences and knowledge. A simple oversight or lack of experience could mean the end for your pet. When I lost my little girl - I cannot tell you what I would have traded or given up to change the situation. I regret not driving her right into the vet that night or even flying her on the concorde to the best vet in the country. This is going to cost you an arm and a leg either way, sounds like you are into it for $1000s already, get a 2nd opinion or find out what major institution backs up your vet for the real serious stuff and speak with them. Push.

Keep looking and asking. Talk to more vets. If you dog makes it or doesn't, doing the best you can do is simply that.
yakrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009   #8
Lyons, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Send a message via AIM to erdvm1
Morgan, I am so sorry to hear about Bomber. I am pretty certain you have already been in touch with my facility, Alpenglow Veterinary Specialty + Emergency Center in Boulder. I have heard about Bomber during conversation. I will tell you that we have three Board certified Veterinary Cardiologist on staff. Each one is respected locally and nationally for their skill and knowledge. I believe you all have been contacting Dr Karen Sanderson ACVIM. I will be at the hospital tonight so feel free to call me directly at 303-443-4569 (GLOW).

Oh, ask for Matt
Go Dawgs!!!
Happiness is a way of travel not a destination
erdvm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009   #9
Lyons, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Send a message via AIM to erdvm1
A little more information:

What We Offer | Alpenglow Veterinary Specialty + Emergency Center
Go Dawgs!!!
Happiness is a way of travel not a destination
erdvm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009   #10
Salida, Colorado
Cardiac contusion, pulmonary embolism, medication interaction, myocardial infarction, Increased intracranial pressure. The list is longer some resolve
spontaneosly some require treatment some are permanent and may worsen. I'm in Seattle till Sunday but pm me with a # if you want to talk. W

No amount of money is worth your free time!
whip is offline   Reply With Quote