Old 07-19-2006   #1
Dirtbiking near Winter Park?

We're going to WP this weekend, and we're thinking of taking our bikes. I've been trying to find out info on trail riding up there, but can't really find much on the internet. So I was wondering if any of you know of some good trail rides in the area? Brian would be psyched to ride anywhere, but I'm more of a novice so would be looking for something not so steep or narrow. Any ideas? It's too dang hot down here to put all that gear on...

holley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006   #2
Not that I am a dirt biker.... but I have seen bikes up on Corona Pass Road. It is the old railway line from Denver. A car can get up CP Road easily, but there are forest roads leading off that road all the way to the top. If you come down Berthoud Pass it is on the right just past WP ski area. Something to check out if you want an easy ride.

timbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006   #3
Don't think the trails around WP are open to motorized but there are a lot of roads around there. You might look more to the Grand Lake area for off road motorized trails.
Like it or not, all of us are the result of a sexual act.
Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006   #4
Spits Hot Fire
N. Cascades, Washington
Holley on a dirtbike

Dont know bout the WP side, but done lots of roostin on the other side of Rollins Pass. Look at a map and consider going up there from your side. If it's anything like the East side of the pass it's fun easy, scenic riding above treeline and below. Only thing is you cant cross the divide on Rollins b/c there's a closed tunnel or something up there.....cant quite remember, it's been a while. I think it's worth checkin out though.
FLOWTORCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006   #5
Some of the best single track in the state is about an hour up the road, about 5 miles south of Rand on Hwy 125. Just look for the parking adjacent to the road or the single track crossing it.

Alittle closer there's miles of jeep roads towards Ute Pass from Frazer. Not sure if there's single track out there though.
"Forever indebt to your priceless advice" -KC
DirtyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006   #6
Originally Posted by FLOWTORCH
Holley on a dirtbike
I know...scary, isn't it? Don't tell all my hippie vegan friends I went to college with. They'd be so disappointed in my lifestyle these days! Meat and fossil fuels. At least it's a 4-stroke.

Thanks for all the info, guys!
holley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006   #7
DP/ Cinematographer
DP - cinematographer, Boulder
Paddling Since: 1978
Send a message via Skype™ to Brook
Holley skip the trails. Go find a track! However if you must I met a few guys that ride a lot of trails up in WP so there must be some good stashes. (despite the naysayers)

Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006   #8
Lyons, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Send a message via AIM to erdvm1
Go to Radium. Tons of trails North side of the river. You guys going to WSP???
Go Dawgs!!!
Happiness is a way of travel not a destination
erdvm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006   #9

As said before, there is riding along Corona Pass Road (the Road to the top of Rollins Pass), and tons of logging road off-shoots, but very little trail. The only marked mc/atv trails end after 1/2 mile. There are alot of x-country ski/mtn bike/snowmobile trails, but they are not marked as open to motorcycles.

Grand Lake/Stillwater Pass is alot better for trails, or the Willow Creek Pass area (south of Rand) is even better. Or how about the Colo State Forest north of Hwy 34 between Gould and Cameron Pass. Or Hahns Peak at Stemaboat. All of these are pretty far from WP I know, but's that all we gots.

You might want to try the St. Louis and Crooked Creeek area west of Fraser. Probably all jeep roads, but it's a nice area.

Other than that, not much up there for bikes. The Devils' Thumb Ranch and other private property has pretty much eliminated any chance for long trail riding near WP.

-Jim T.
cutthroat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006   #10
Speedo Model
I have been on a few fire roads on the WP side. We used to ride from Rollinsville up and over to WP. Right near the ski area, and across the street there is a dirt road / fire trail. Not sure how experienced you are but that is a wide dirt road. There is some 1track off of that and it heads up to Rollins Pass.
Someone mentioned Rand...go there. It rules. LOTS of 1 track.

HalfCracked is offline   Reply With Quote