Old 01-31-2014   #1
Atlanta, Georgia
Paddling Since: 2000
Denver Neighborhoods?

Southeastern Boater, who is getting relocated to the Denver area this May. What neighborhoods/towns should I be looking at? Golden looked pretty cool with easy access to Clear Creek. Any other places to look for good access to rivers and skiing in winter?

csmitty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014   #2
x, x
Paddling Since: x
golden is the place to be, if you ski and love to boat, it is a great choice. You will be right at the mouth of clearcreek and close to all the runs.

Longmont, firestone and broomfeild are good central locations for all things front range, cheaper too, except maybe broomfeild.

I would say to live north and west of denver, you can decide how far by figuring how long you wana commute.

fort collins, loveland are just over an hour or about...

longmont, firestone, atre 1/2 hour away and golden is 20-30 min tops, depending

bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014   #3
Old Guy in a PFD
Tucson, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1967
Just about anywhere west of I-25 will suit you, from about Loveland south to Castle Rock.

East of I-25 is populated mainly by sodbusters, Democrats and carpetbaggers.
Schutzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014   #4
The mountains are West of town, so the further West you are the shorter your drive times to go play.

That said, if you prefer city life, then downtown Denver (city proper) is great. Biking is convenient everywhere, tons of entertainment, good people. The roads are grid like, so traffic is generally better than the 'burbs, and you can avoid the interstates. The train system is improving. And from North City Park neighborhood it's only about 25 minutes to Clear Creek kayaking and mountain biking. If you are single and under 35, I would look to downtown Denver. If you are buying a house, you'll find that Denver is a bit more affordable than Golden as well.

We have miles upon miles of suburban sprawl to choose from if that's your thing, and you'll be forced to drive everywhere. Other friends choose to live in places like Morrison and Genesse and Coal Creek Canyon for a wilderness feel, commuting far and often, and mtn biking out their front door... but being next to so many people makes those places feel like suburbs with mountains and trees.

If you know the location of your office, then it will be easier to narrow your options. Buying vs renting will be another huge factor that will narrow your options.
Kyle McCutchen
Cutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014   #5
Atlanta, Georgia
Paddling Since: 2000
I appreciate the toughts...I don't currently have a job lined up (moving for family purposes), so I think renting is the prudent option for now, with the idea that in a year or so I'd have a better idea of the area. I tend to dislike (probably too weak a word) the suburbs, but don't want to live in a central city any longer (if that makes any sense).

I will look into the outdoor areas, but otherwise I want something that feels more like a town, but is close enough to Denver that I can actually commute there....
csmitty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014   #6
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Send a message via AIM to craven_morhead
If you're working downtown you're going to be commuting to work more than you're commuting to kayak, so keep that in mind. We live in the Baker neighborhood a few blocks off of 6th Avenue, which is generally less congested and allows for easier trips out to the mountains than I-70 does.
craven_morhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014   #7
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Live near a light rail station. As someone said, you'll be commuting to work much more than you commute to the mountains. I work downtown and live 300 yards from a station 20 minutes out south of downtown. Its awesome.

The W line parallels I-70 and US 6 in Lakewood and Wheat Ridge on its way out to Golden. Some parts of Lakewood are sketchy but by the W line might be a good option
Whitewater Map American Whitewater river info you can use.
pilom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014   #8
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Golden feels like a town instead of a burb, is right next to Clear Creek for boating and easy access to the mountains, and is the end terminal of the W light rail line, which goes straight downtown.
I've a suggestion to keep you all occupied...learn to swim!
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014   #9
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Originally Posted by Roy View Post
Golden feels like a town instead of a burb, is right next to Clear Creek for boating and easy access to the mountains, and is the end terminal of the W light rail line, which goes straight downtown.
The W line does end in Golden, but it ends an the JefCo Government site. Closest residential is still ~1.5 miles away so it's actually not very convenient as if you live close to the town part of Golden you're still driving to the light rail, which takes 40min to Denver.

I live really close to downtown Golden and it's nice in the summer being able to walk to the farmers market and bike to the play holes, but I spend a lot of time in the car going to Denver for work and a social life. Golden's great during the day, but all the fun breweries and restaurants are closed by 11 on weekends and earlier during the week.
boldtwatermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014   #10
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 20

Hey bud,

Check out our post for a summer rental in Golden, that is only if you want to be right next to a river! (blocks away) It is unique in that it is partial caretaking of a great dog. its under my name. It will take the right set up so we can chat....Let me know if you are interested at all.

Shimmy is offline   Reply With Quote