Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Other Chatter > The Eddy

Old 09-05-2006   #11
Vail, Colorado
Hells yeah I am in. Lets find out if there is one. I have some dynamite, we'll find that sum-bitch and blow him up. Anyone else in? The scientific purpose will be an ass whoopin'!

": I'm going to find it and I'm going to destroy it. Possibly with dynamite."
-Steve Zissou

Steve Zizzou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006   #12
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
The guy simply loved life --

He loved the wildlife he studied and tried to preserve, he loved his family and he loved what he did.
He brought an amazing amount of joy into my life, for a person I never met.
Really, his passing has affected me. It's bothering me. I feel like I lost a friend.
It may sound lame, but that's how I feel.
And it sounds like just freak bad luck -- not a big mistake on his part.
Damn it.
I'd say "Damn that Stingray" -- but you know what? Irwin wouldn't have said that. He wouldn't have blamed the thing.

RIP, Steve

Id725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006   #13
Thought-criminal, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
True, he wouldn't want us to destroy the stingray. I'm going to fight it but I'll let it live.
I hope in the future Americans are thought of as a warlike, vicious people, because I bet a lot of high schools would pick "Americans" as their mascot. -Jack Handy
BastrdSonOfElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006   #14
I'm glad I'm not the only one totally bummed out by this. My first grade students were talking about it today...that guy touched everyone that saw his show. He truly was amazing and will be missed.
sgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006   #15
Here's an alternative perspective, from Debra Saunders of the San Francisco Chronicle.

I like the line:
The real surprise is that a crocodile didn't finish off Irwin sooner

Now you know why Aussie crocodile aficionado Steve Irwin called the new TV show he was working on "The Ocean's Deadliest." Irwin likely would have found some small satisfaction in a deadly animal -- a stingray with a fatal barb -- living up to his PR. Crikey.

Many Australians could not stand Irwin. As expatriate Germaine Greer wrote in the Guardian, "The animal world has finally taken its revenge on Irwin."

Irwin's other legacy is that he has passed onto the world's children the fanciful notion that nature is a theme park. He failed to respect the lethal side of his co-star creatures. "I don't want to seem arrogant or big-headed," Irwin once told The Washington Post's Paul Farhi, "but I have a real instinct with animals. I've grown up with them. ... It's like I have an uncanny supernatural force rattling around my body. I tell you what, mate, it's magnetism."

No, mate, it's delusion. The real surprise is that a crocodile didn't finish off Irwin sooner -- just as a bear mauled to death Grizzly People co-founder Timothy Treadwell and his girlfriend, Amie Huguenard, in Alaska three years ago.

When human beings mistake wildlife for Walt Disney characters, they fail to appreciate wild animals for what they truly are -- wild. Read: not susceptible to boyish charm.

Add: hungry and fearful. When they are injured, they die. When they can't eat, they die. When they are afraid, they attack. Given their druthers, they'd rather not be around human beings.

That is why the proper way to view wildlife is not in a close shot next to Irwin's round face, but through a long lens, where they can be seen living in their own habitat. A crocodile is a wonder to behold because it is a crocodile, not because it snaps at Irwin's boot.

Or toward his son. In 2004, Irwin fed a 13-foot crocodile a dead chicken as he cradled his son, Robert, then 1 month old, in the other arm. Australian cameras aired the feeding; public outrage followed. Afterward, Irwin told reporters, "I was in complete control."

Scary. Also in 2004, Australia's Department of Environment and Heritage investigated and cleared Irwin of the charge that he got too close to penguins, whales and seals in Antarctica. Legal issues aside, Irwin changed how television airs wildlife shows. Now, animals aren't entertaining unless there's a comic face mugging next to them.

As "Wild Kingdom's" Jim Fowler told Fox News' Bill O'Reilly on Tuesday, when his show first aired, "people were just content with seeing the animal. Now they want, you know, confrontation with the animal. They want adventure. They want excitement. The technology and the little cameras get right in their mouth. So this stuff is going to continue to happen. It's going to get worse, I believe."

Irwin did not deserve to die -- but his death can hardly be considered a surprise. It was the predictable end that followed the marriage of a dangerous hobby with a dangerous conceit -- and better Irwin than the baby.
stof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006   #16
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002

People go scuba diving all the time. Get close to stingrays. Pet them at Sea World. Stingrays generally don't hurt people, let alone kill them.
It was just BS bad luck that got Irwin killed. A million scuba divers and snorklers every year could have the same fate, but they don't. It was a freeak thing.
If a crocodile had eaten him, then you could make this argument.
But it didn't.
How is it possible that he didn't get eaten by a croc or killed by a snake?
Maybe because he really DID know what he was doing.
Maybe in 2004, he was in complete control.
He took risks, just like paddlers take risks. He knew the dangers and he knew how to push the boundaries without stepping over.
He never did get himself eaten by a croc or killed by a snake. It was just a freak.
It's like a Class V kayaker getting killed in a car wreck on the way to the put-in and somebody saying "Well that's no surprise."

That's a crock of s---
So F- off.
Id725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006   #17
Lakewood, Colorado
I would have to agree with that article for the most part, particularly the references to TV treating animals like Disney characters. I never knew Steve Irwin, but I got the impression watching him that he really did care about and respect animals. I don't get that impression from most other Animal Planet personalities.

I'm a fan of the British dude narrating from a Jeep 200 yards away, not the assholes that climb trees and rip little monkeys out so they can make them crawl on their head.
mjpowhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006   #18
As most participants in extreme activities do,Stevo knew what he was doing,but it' a calculated risk and the odds eventually catch up with them.They die doing what they love,no better way to go ,I say.Swimming with stingrays is usually no big deal,I've done it.These guys do have a way with animals and know how to interact with them on thier terms most of the time.Sometimes the animals behave unpredictably,like the Timothy Treadwell case,an unsuccessful desperate bear got more aggressive than the well fed bears that tolerated him,also his girlfriend violated the rules by showing fear.Somehow,Stevo accidentlt triggered that rays aggression,very unfortunate.
Stof ,you seem to derive some morbid satisfaction from his death,he was beloved by a lot of us.The fact you think Bill O'Rielly has any credibility whatsoever shows where your'e coming from.Jim Fowlers is a good dude though,Marlin Perkins and Stevo RIP!
cayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006   #19
Metro Area, Colorado
What bothers me most about this post (and site for that matter) is the lack of humanity people truly exhibit. Anytime there is a death, whether it be Irwin, or a local paddler, people come on here just to degrade, judge, and make it be known that who ever did die, deserved it. I like to believe that our community is filled with genuinely good people, but I am always surprised to read people's derogatory statments when someone passes.

This is the case no matter what. It hurt me when one of my friends passed on the river and people judged. It bothers me when a great television personality passes and people judge.

Everyone is entiltled to their own opinion but for the love of god...Do you have no sense of deceny people?

cecil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006   #20
I don't think this thread is that bad. People in this forum didn't know Irwin except from TV and his life has some parallels to that of a kayaker. Analysis of Irwin's actions can help people think about their own choices.

It seems like you are still upset about a recent loss, for which I'm sorry. I respect your opinion, but I think you are taking it too far by asking for other people to share your sensitivity. However, your comments are a reminder that we should be gentle in discussing events in our boating community.

I agree we shouldn't say "he deserved it" and I think we generally don't. But, I think we need to know what happens in these incidents and some analysis is appropriate so we can learn. This is a dangerous sport--if we can't come to grips about past and possible future deaths, perhaps we should choose a different sport, or be very careful of risks.

And this is an internet forum, not a group of friends.

basil is offline   Reply With Quote