Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Other Chatter > The Eddy

Old 11-26-2011   #1
Crazy, insane dude on the loose in Pueblo!

I'm a 49 year old grandma. My husband, (62 year old grandpa) and another 62 year old friend, riding down Cuanto Sinko, (sp) towards Voodoo at Pueblo State Park on Thanksgiving. (It's not as bad as it sounds, we're pretty avid riders.)

Anyway, my new-to-me Mojo starts making a weird noise, so I stopped in the trail. Incredibly rude, but I wasn't thinking and didn't know anyone was near me. A guy appeared out of no where and ran by real fast. He didn't break stride, just a quick step around us and gone. I felt bad and yelled, "Sorry Man". I thought that was the end of it.

Well of course we caught up to him. At this point, I didn't know he was waiting to take my head off. I just thought he was a guy like us, out enjoying a very nice day, maybe working off a little turkey. He was a good runner and I was quite impressed.

After about 1/2 a mile of following him patiently, I finally asked if I could pass on the left. He looked back at me and kept running. I'm thinking, ok, he's looking for a good place so we don't track up the desert, cool with me.

Another 200 yards or so and I started to realize, the only reason he was looking for a wide spot, was so he could block any attempt I might make to pass him. Finally, after riding behind him for a mile, I yelled, "Dude, I'm going to pass you on your left, right up here." So, we got to the wide spot and I went off the trail to quickly pass him. This guy went off the trail, lowered his shoulder and knocked me off my bike. My friend was right behind and tried to protect himself, but the guy tried to knock him off too. It was on.

This guy started yelling profanities and how he was going to kick our ass and we were fat and out of shape, (not really dude!), and he could chase us across the prairie and kick our ass. I told him we were the age of his grandparents, but at least his mother and father, but he didn't care. Finally, after him spitting in my face, (he was crazy and spit was flying from his mouth and well, I was in his face), I realized, this is one sad person to be acting like this and I started to feel sorry for him.

But, he was also scaring me. My husband is a small guy, and well, I'm a girl! He told us he was going to chase across the prairie and do, guess what? Right - kick our ass. He must have said that 20 times, no kidding. Finally I said, "I'm really sorry you're having a bad day. I really hope your Thanksgiving gets better. Remember, even if your mom doesn't love you, God still does." (Ok, that was mean, but can you blame me?)

I should have immediately called the police, but I didn't think about it at the time. We took off across the prairie, hoping the madman wasn't following us. We were really worried about our Wyoming plated vehicles, back at the Red Gate, but all was fine when we got back later.

Wow. This was the craziest experience I've had in a while. Watch out for this guy. He is rather young, (that's everyone compared to us )tall, blonde sort of curly hair, wears ear buds. He is dangerous and out of control. He took several swings at my friend, but each missed, (ex-Marine friend, so the crazy guy was actually lucky!).

Thanks for listening, I don't belong to any mtb forums!

Loaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011   #2
pnw, Washington
Sorry you had a bad day. Lots of stress around the holidays, maybe this guy got a helping of it with his Turkey.

"Yesterday I was clever and tried to change the world. Today I am wise and try to change myself." -Rumi
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011   #3
Loaner - this goes beyond a little "stress around the holidays." If he intentionally knocked you off your bike and tried to hit someone it your group, this is assault and it should be reported to the police. This punk thinks he is a bad ass and owns the world and every time he does this and gets away with it, it just inflates his ego. What is he going to do next? Kick a little kid because he is "in the way?" Try to run someone off the road because they are driving too slow? I am glad no one in your group was hurt, and it is unfortunate that you had to come across this asshole.
jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011   #4
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
The Pueblo South-Shore trails can get crazy. I've had people point guns at me and tell me to get the hell out of there while they were hunting (in a popular area with marked trails)...as well as seen other people get in fights for no good reason....and break-ins to vehicles at the "redgate". I think it stems from the fact that it is the only good recreation area/trailhead around Pueblo...so everyone uses it.

Sorry you had such a negative experience there, hopefully the guy's karma comes back to get him.
GARNA’s mission is to foster stewardship of the resources of the greater Arkansas River region through education, volunteerism and experiences. https://garna.org
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011   #5
Austin, Texas
Paddling Since: 1990
Tazer in the throat, works every time in Down town Dallas. Cops don't care. They put their hands over their badge and say "good job" No shit! You should see their face when you hit'em w/ it. Don't knock it till you do it. It makes me tingily inside
I ran a Vallet Co. for years in one of the roughest hip hop clubs in Dallas. I think you can imagin the peeps I delt w/ on a nightly bassis. Cons, $400 for a tazer. Pros, cheaper than hitting them w/ a 40cal. (court cost). Another pro, it will pay itself off the first time you use it.
liquidphoto is offline   Reply With Quote