Old 05-11-2009   #91
Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Colsurfer and Jensjustduckie,

if either of you go back and read some of the other posts, we've already addressed the supposed "lack" of credible evidence and "this ain't nuthin' but a bunch of mis-undereducated hippies" arguments.

Although I could have sworn I saw Steven Chu smoking a bowl at the last Rainbow Gathering I was at...

Oops, I should have followed my own advice! I posted above before realizing that I had only read up to page 7. On the other hand, that extra reading really doesn't change anything about your denial of the mountains of evidence that 1) the planet is experiencing a warming trend, and 2) that humans are most probably partly responsible.

Call me a crazy "liberal," but I have to agree with the current scientific consensus. Like Durango Steve said, skepticism is good, and indeed too often lacking in the otherwise critical mind, but denial is simply a coping mechanism.

-Τὸ χόβερκράφτ μου εἶναι γεμᾶτο χέλια!
bluesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009   #92
conifer, Colorado
Originally Posted by Jensjustduckie View Post
While recycling paper sounds great it actually takes more fossil fuels to ship the used paper to a paper mill than it does to cut down trees. Most paper is made up of softwoods grown within 100 miles of the mill, ironic huh?
Not to mention the chemicals spewed into the rivers in the recylce and bleaching process. My brother is a Paper Science Engineer in Oregon and has the knowledge to discuss such drawbacks to recycling. Not to mention the fact that paper makers for the last 70 years have practiced conservation by replanting

mr. compassionate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009   #93
Little Village, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Although I could have sworn I saw Steven Chu smoking a bowl at the last Rainbow Gathering I was at...
Dude, you are sooooo right! I was there, and I stopped by his awesome 1980 Westphalia. He and his old lady had the most killer Humboldt Gold! I had been a climate change denier up to that point, but I saw the light after a coupla hookahs of Gold. Here's a pic of Chu and his old lady after the gathering. I went on the road with them for awhile doing a Merry Prankster kinda thing. Very cool!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	chudude.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	134.7 KB
ID:	1398  

Uh, I'm just gonna go find a cash machine.
Riparian is offline   Reply With Quote