Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Other Chatter > The Eddy

Old 02-23-2005   #1
Christo's project to cover the Ark

Did you hear that Christo is proposing a project to cover a portion of the Ark with fabric? Don't worry, this is a temporary art project. See picture below. Looks pretty cool. This is a section below Salida, above the gorge.

Christo is the guy who does these fabric projects around the world, including one currently in Central Park, New York City.

Apparently you could even boat under the fabric. This picture is pretty cool:

I'm not sure what to think of it. I don't like people messing with the river, but this is temporary and it looks pretty cool. This won't happen for several years at least.

More description at http://www.nytimes.com/2005/02/23/ar...ive.html?8hpib

I wonder if boating under the fabric is really practical. What about rescues??

cstork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005   #2
GWS, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
This is fu@#ing retarded. Who cares about this crap. This idiot spent 29million dollars on his central park fiasco. There must be a better way to spend 29mil. like on health care, disaster relief, or crack.

Why cover the ark. Tell him to go cover the Anacostia river in DC or the East river in NY. Those rivers are nasty and need to be covered. The ark doesn't.

If he comes to Colorado I say we send him down Lake Creek and see if we can't remove him from the gene pool.

Mut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005   #3
I agree, Cristo in an inner tube on Lake Creek at 1400cfs.
mescalimick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005   #4
pnw, Washington
If someone is going to spend $29 million on art. Let em spend it locally.
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005   #5
Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 94

I think it would be an incredible experience to paddle under that. I welcome it. I don't totally get it as art but who's to question?

I think the knee-jerk reaction to call it out as a stupid waste of money is logical but think through that a little bit. There will be positive local effects from a ridiculous amount of money spent here. Whatever percentage is actually local workforce and product will amount to more than there was before as well as additional gaper dollars.
Money is a renewable resource kids. When it's spent, it doesn't disappear. It is paid to someone who, in turn can spend it elsewhere whether that be for Powerbar energy to hug trees harder or gas for solo- driving in lifted Hummers.

I think it could be cool and it's certainly not going to hurt anything if it's done responsibly. I am a little concerned about enough space between the edges and the ground to ensure rescue access but I'm sure that will be addressed.
mattyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005   #6
Central, Colorado
I don't really get the "Art" part of this either, but another positive local result are the river banks. I was told, based on some discussions held in Cotopaxi a few years ago, that Christo is very ecological/green/etc, and that his crews would very likely end up cleaning up a lot of the crap on the river banks, old concrete, etc. Coupled with the local work contracts, and the thousands of people who'd come through the vallley to see this contraption, and all the money they'd be spending, it all seems to promise a positive impact.

tpalka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005   #7
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
All I know is that Christo (what's that guy's last name, anyway?!?) better be careful if he wants to use the river bank where its private property. If riverside landowners will arrest a boater who's gasping for breath after crawling ashore following a long swim, how are they going to treat Christo's workers when they're pounding in stakes and slinging cables across the river on their land?

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005   #8
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
I like the idea of some of the funds being used to clean up the railroad's mess along the river. But, what about the poor trout! What kind of psychological damage will this cause our slimy eddy sharing friends???
Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.

I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
TimWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005   #9
I think Christo did a project here in Colorado about 25 years ago. Running Fence or Rifle Curtain might have been the name. My understanding was it was great for the community, And his crew left the area cleaner than it was when they arrived. A lot of local labor was used & paid by the project. Art may be a subjective experience but much of the controversial art of the past has provided many of the benefits we see in product design and technology of today.
I am for the river and the art. I would love to tell my kids I ran this river and was there when it was modern art.
When is this supposed to take place?
lennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005   #10
My understanding is that Christo is wealthy enough that he and his S.O. (She also seems to only have a first name) fund the projects themselves. I also think its ridiculous what passes for "art" in this country, but as long as there are no taxpayer dollars involved, no ecological damage done, no private property rights trampled on and things are cleaned up after-wards, who am I to nix it? I doubt I'd go out of my way to see it though.

rivergod is offline   Reply With Quote